council tax whilst mobilised

hi troops,
sorry if this has been done before, i have received a phone call from my mates missus reference council tax. her hubbie is currently away overseas. she read in the gumph from chillwell that different rates of CT apply to mobilised families but when she contacted the local council she was told that this is wrong. the only way to get it changed was for her to remove him from anything related to the house and claim single ocupancy. when she queried this and stated that he was only overseas she was told that as he is coming back she cant claim any difference.

can anyone point me in the right direction as shes at a loss and she is the most unmilitary person in the world so not sure what person to contact mil wise and a little bemused by the whole subject.

regards D_S
I understand some Council's will exempt homes occupied by reservists from council tax whilst mobilised.

His wife should be able to claim a single occupancy discount for the period he is not living there - thats exactly what single occupancy discount is for!
thanks for the response so far, but still doesn't quite answer the question. she has paperwork from chilwell stating that her husband does not pay council tax but when phoning up the local council they state that this is rubbish and she must pay up. just wondering if someone has come across this before?
Hmmm, interesting one.

I'm off myself in August so I had a quick look at our Council web site, and there's no mention of mobilised reservists in their list of exemptions.

Interesting that "prisoners" is one group that do qualify for discount :evil:
are they not, once mobilised... fulltime army for the period of deployment... ie not 'reservists' anymore, therefore ciloct and wifey/gf is single occupant?
My wife spoke to the lady at our council, who also happens to be the wife of a recently mobilised reservist. She said there was no rebate that could be claimed from the council and that all rebates were claimed from the MoD as part of op allowances or specific rebates. My clerk in thatre mentioned a claim that can be submitted on RTU which I will endeavour to track down.
Reservists or full time, it matters not where council tax is concerned. You pay CILOCT if you occupy service accomodation, irrespective of whether you are deployed, same as CT, and most councils do not recognise CILOCT as it is not money going into their bank, rather money taken at source by MoD. I believe that you can claim back up to £140 post tour to offset CT, although this came in since I last deployed(or I may be talking b0** has been known) hopefully a pay guru could confirm . The only way you will get the council to reduce what you pay is if, as has been posted, you missus reguisters herself as sole occupant. Don't know how easy that is to do, the council may say that whilst you may be deployed, that house is still your home, you just don't happen to be living in it as a matter of choice. Dunno, all councils have different takes on it, some more understanding than others.
Extract from DIB:

1. In September 2007 the Secretary of State for Defence announced that Armed
Forces deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq would receive a tax-free Council Tax Relief
payment (See DIB 2007/25 dated 26 September 2007 for details). He also
announced the intention to extend this payment to all those deployed on operations
in 2008. This extension of eligibility, announced today, will benefit the wider Service
population deployed overseas on operations, approximately an additional 4,500
2. Payment of Council Tax Relief will be made at the end of the operational tour,
based on the number of days in theatre. This payment applies to all Regular Service
personnel, mobilised Reserves and Full Time Reserve Service (Full or Limited Commitment) personnel serving in operational locations specified by MOD who
Defence Internal Brief
actually pay council tax, Rates in Northern Ireland or Contributions in Lieu of Council Tax (CILOCT) for Service Family Accommodation (SFA).
Frequently Asked Questions
Who pays council tax?
All Service personnel who own or rent a private property remain liable to pay council tax on their own property to the local authority.
Who pays CILOCT?
All Service accommodation in England, Scotland and Wales is formally exempt from the council tax regime and MOD instead pays CILOCT to local authorities, broadly equivalent to the amount of tax that would otherwise be due. The average contribution, determined by the type of property occupied, is then recovered from Service occupants with their accommodation charge.
Will this payment affect any discount Service personnel have already agreed with their local authority?
No. It is MOD’s intention, as part of the administrative arrangements for the new scheme, to exclude personnel from payment if they have already negotiated a discount from local authorities for being absent on operational deployment.
What has been previously announced on Council Tax?
On 25 September 2007, SofS announced that Council Tax Relief, some £140 based on a 6 month tour, will be paid to those in receipt of the Operational Allowance with effect from 1 April 2008, backdated to 1 October 2007. It was also announced that the scheme would be extended to other Service personnel deployed on operations overseas in due course.
What is being announced today?
The Council Tax Relief payment is being extended to all other Service personnel deployed overseas on operations from 1 April 2008, backdated to 1 February 2008.
Who will it be paid to?
The additional payment will be paid only to those who actually pay council tax or Contributions In Lieu Of Council Tax (CILOCT) for Service Family Accommodation.
What about those in Single Living Accommodation (SLA) paying CILOCT?
For those in SLA, CILOCT charges cease when deployed on operations.
How many personnel will benefit from this payment?
Based on current deployment levels in Afghanistan, Iraq and the wider population deployed overseas on operations, we estimate some 13,000 will be council tax/CILOCT payers.
Why £140?
This equates to a 25% discount on an average council tax bill in England for a 6-month period.
Wouldn’t a statutory (i.e. permanent) scheme be better?
We will continue to liaise with the Department for Communities and Local
Government and devolved administrations about the feasibility in the longer term of
a statutory discount scheme to ensure that assistance takes account of actual
council tax bills.

Similar threads

Latest Threads