Council Tax Rebate

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Iolis, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to this, it appears that soldiers serving overseas are to receive a 25% reduction in Council Tax Bills.

Just in time to pull out before it comes on stream!

It seems that the need to score political points at Party Conferences takes precedence over the need to act expeditiously.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shouldnt be paying it at all I was so glad to leave before the Council tax/poll tax shoite started!
  3. I do remember attending a meeting of Unit Paymasters and Chief Clerks at what was then HQ 12 (Airmobile) Brigade Catterick Garrison attended by Richmond District Council back just after the Poll Tax was introduced and we discovered that each and every single man would receive an individual bill for the 6 x 4 'cases wood packing' of a room he lived in at Somme Barracks.

The then Director of Infantry had already told us that the collection of what was then the Poll Tax was a responsibility of Central Government and that it was no business of the Government to seek to impose an individual liability upon a soldier.

With this in mind, as a CSGT Infantry Chief Clerk, I suggested at that meeting that a soldier's Poll Tax liability should be deducted from him at source via a Unit Part 2 Order either when he was TOS in his duty station or when the Unit moved into a duty station from abroad.

Told to shut the F** up by the (then) RAPC Unit Paymaster!

A Local Authority in a Garrision area, that will be nameless, waited until shortly before a unit deployed on OP BANNER then summoned all of the defaulters in that unit before the court for non-payment with a very real risk of many of them being sent to prison!

Needless to say, the money was found very quickly to allow the unit to deploy fully operationally!

I have been out of the loop for some time now but I understand that the (now) Council Tax is deducted from a soldier's pay directly at source!?
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Correct - at a national average rate.
  5. Thanks for that. Just as well, Richmond District Council were chasing defaulters from our Regiment for years afterwards, long after the soldiers had either been discharged or posted to other units!
  6. i remember when in BFG CILOCT was around 4 times higher than the stadt tax...???