Council tax rebate on Ops

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Crusty(LE), Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News

I'm off to the sandy place in a few weeks and just came across this (yes I know it's quite old!)

Rang my local council and they said "nothing to do with us".. :cry:

Anyone know what the score is? Can't find anything in my predeployment gumf.

Cheers

Nimbus

2. I believe you can apply through your admin office. There is a DIN out on the subject.

3. Crusty

I posted this topic about month ago having just come back from Ops. Answer I received as follows:

The measures will be introduced from October and the first payments will be made from April 1 2008. The rebate will be added to the tax-free operational allowance paid to servicemen and women at the end of an operational tour in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Hope this helps you as it will do fcuk all for me :roll:

4. Having just returned in the last 10 days from Ops myself I can confirm that you SHOULD be paid the Council tax refund along with your Tax free bonus. However on speaking to the RAO and staff, no direction from on high has been given on how the Pay staff is to allocate this £140 to you.
    One thing for sure it has nothing to do with your local council (I’ve asked mine also).

5. That answers my questions too. Thanx guys.

6. If your admin staff have a look at the JPA Op bulletin that tells them about JPA version 6 they will find all they need to know about how the rebate works.

PW

7. Thanks for all of your responses... I'll wait (A long time possibly) with baited breath!!

8. Not so long, as PW say's, the Op Bulletin gives the detail and there is a BPG (Buisness Process Guide (for HR use)) due, if not already out, on how HR can claim this for you. V6 JPA brought this in.

9. I have just checked my Apr 08 pay statement on JPA and as if by magic, the council tax rebate was there and being paid to me with this month's pay. Obviously the AGC boys and girls had already inputed the info. Fcuk me, something actually works on JPA! :D

10. Ye of little faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PW

11. Can anyone please tell me why the rebate is only payable to Married personnel? My place sits totally empty while I'm away, but the rebate doesn't apply. Please help me understand.

12. You pay Council Tax through your pay if you live in an MSQ or SLA, thus the refund is automated in line with Op Allowance, if you live in Private Accom you will have to prove that you have not had a refund through your local council, go see your HR with said proof and they will sort the allowance out for you manualy as per the Op Bulletin, I am unsure where the married bit comes in.

13. You pay Council Tax through your pay if you live in an MSQ or SLA, thus the refund is automated in line with Op Allowance, if you live in Private Accom you will have to prove that you have not had a refund through your local council, go see your HR with said proof and they will sort the allowance out for you manualy as per the Op Bulletin, I am unsure where the married bit comes in.

14. Im in the same boat as Gado i pay 75% council tax on a house that stands empty while i live in germany and just returned from the sandpit, my RAO says im not entiltled to it as i have not seen a change in circumstances, i pay the 75% as i am a single occupant is that what they call a discount to get out of paying me 140 quid.

15. My understanding is that if you pay council tax for your own house (and do not get a rebate from the council), or CILOCT for MQs, you are entitled to the payment in lieu of council tax rebate (one payment per household). The only people who would not get it are those who are in SLA, however, this may change soon following a recent AFPRB visit.