Council Tax question

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Biscuits_AB, Jan 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any SPS people refer me to any documentation or provide any advice concerning the payment of council tax on a UK property whilst the soldier is serving in Germany? When posted to Germany a short while back, I kept my house here in the UK. I was informed before my departure by the local council that I would still have to pay council tax on my UK property, but that the required amount would only be 50% of the original amount paid, when I was resident at that address. The house was not rented and stood emtpy for the duration of my posting.

I am now back in the UK and my local council have now said that the information they gave me was wrong and that I must now meet the outstanding 50% for the duration of my posting. Do I have any redress here or are Richmondshire District Council in North Yorkshire just a bunch of c*nts and I have to live with it?
  2. You can fight them on Court if you like they are undoubtedly in the wrong, but dont expect to win.
  3. I had a similar conversation with them recently Biscuits and was told the discount I get for being single is more than I would get for the house being empty fully furnished.
  4. I don't know the answer to this one however there such a thing as a local council ombudsman who might be able to help you. The website is:-
  5. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

From their website:

Council Tax Discounts

Council Tax has always been a local authority issue, there are no military regulations governing its application. Sorry Biscuits, but it looks like they are indeed a bunch of cnuts.
  6. Thank you chaps. Just as well I haven't blown the gratuity on drugs, booze, loose wimmin and fast cars.