Council tax fines

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by WhiteHorse, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello all,

    I wonder if anyone can help. My brother split up with his girlfriend and she moved out of thier flat, he then decided it was too expensive for one and gave in his notice, moving out in June. The Council however refused to believe his girl friend had moved out and that he had either. They required a letter from his ex, who is in the US and his next door neighbours, who he never spoke to! However in his absence they applied to the court and he has had his wages reduced at source, he only found out after that wages girl told him when he rang her after his salary was short.

    So, at no point was he informed by the council that they were taking his wages, he has paid all the tax up to the time he left, but they have taken money which he does not owe as he moved out. What can he do?
  2. Without sucking eggs. What about getting a letter from his former landlord stating that he moved out in June. At the same time CAB is the destination
    and they will advise which forms etc to fill out to claim back the money, interest in bank balance, inconveinance, time off work, stress caused by the council, etc. Remember that it may take some time as it is very beauro buro bearruooa paper work heavy and you will repeat will encounter some jobsworth at the council.
  3. Typical heavy handed Council.

    I would go to the CAB or is possible a Law Centre as they will fight the cause for your brother usually free of charge if he pleads poverty.

    Where did he move to? Cant the new landlord provide a letter saying when he moved in to the new pad? if it was his parents etc, that will also help.

    If he presses on he will eventually get a refund, but watch out for his credit rating. He may want to try to get the Judgement set aside. I am srry but council tax is half ciminal and half civil and so I am not sure exactly how he would go about setting aside the Judgement.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    Two things:

    a) A letter from a brief demanding repayment, compensation, and a letter of apology.
    b) A belated notification of single occupancy asking for a 25% reduction between the time the ex moved out and handing the property back to the landlord.
  5. Sixty

    Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

    I was under the impression that Council Tax arrears / liability orders do not affect a credit rating due to the court it is dealt with?
  6. I am not sure. Thats where it all gets hazy for me. On the one hand it is a civil penalty but dealt with in the criminal courts. As a consumer we get the worst of both worlds and guess what, the council get the best of both there is a surprise!

    Sorry I cant be any more help on that point