Council Tax Cover-up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hong_kong_fuey, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TEST. Is anyone else getting database errors when trying to post? I've got a serious rant building up and need to get it off my chest.

2. Here's the post:

Council Tax cover-up.

Telegraph

This really is gripping my sh1t. Have the government got a copy of the the Sheriff of Nottingham's 'Guide to Plundering the Hard Earned Cash of the People'? They say the prisons are full, and that closet Islamist, Jack Straw, has urged magistrates to not jail offenders, and yet they'll lock up pensioners, or repossess their houses, for non-payment of Council Tax.

I visited my 92 year old grandparents in Newcastle recently. I was shocked that, in the middle of a cold snap, their house was freezing and they were forced to wear hats, scarves, gloves and winter coats. I asked them why they didn't have the heating on and, after much hesitation (they're proud, you see), they showed me a bill for £1200 Council Tax, which they were having trouble paying. Down the street from them there was a house with a dozen or so Lithuanians living there -- and they were paying the same amount of tax as my grandparents. How can this be right? My grandfather fought bravely in WWII and spent a couple of years after the war recovering from shell shock. What have the new, young arrivals done for our country that can compete with that?

This fcuking nefarious, sorry and pathetic excuse for government. I now know why the law is on the side of the criminal. It's because the government are, by default criminals themselves. They are thieves and fraudsters and war criminals.

I'd urge everyone to descend on Parliament to remove these lickspittles, but, as the most we could get our hands on are paintball guns, I don't think it a good idea.

:x rant over.

3. Edited because of non-necessity.

4. Yes, it happened to me last night but my post survived the error. I didn't think the site was busy at the time.

Psst.... Remember to look out of the window before you post anything about HMG; the black van with a strange numberplate on the street corner is usually fairly obvious if "they" are on to you! If the van is there, wear the tinfoil hat.

Litotes

5. I am! been trying to start a new thread all weekend to tell people this:
    Army rugby shirts avaliable from Army rugby union site, only large or VERY large sizes,and they have the wavy union flag over the Army badge on the back, got my 4X XL in two days! And I know i'm a fat cnut but I paid for it! £25 a bargain I reckon!

6. Yes

also refusing to allow clicking on the quote button.

Try using the bb code buttons too - I can't get it to allow their usage.

7. I am! been trying to start a new thread all weekend to tell people this:
    Army rugby shirts avaliable from Army rugby union site, only large or VERY large sizes,and they have the wavy union flag over the Army badge on the back, got my 4X XL in two days! And I know i'm a fat cnut but I paid for it! £25 a bargain I reckon!

8. How to make a tin-foil hat

9. remember your grandfather is old now, the council will pick on him because he cannot fight back, however the local Lithuanians are probably young and fit and will most likely put up a fight against the PCSO's.

its sad but thats the gobmint for you

10. also the gobmint use cars not vans, (they have bought lots of gucci kit recently that fits into a bag, so gone are the days with big vans and blacked out windows.

11. Its down to the Lairbour goverment being full of left wing wnakers.

12. But surely being left wing they would choose to look after the most vulnerable first?

13. Reading this ,I was surprised that the Lithuanians were paying any council tax at all.I bet they were claiming every rebate they could.

I thought the Labour idea was that immigrants were supported by the indiginous population.

14. I didn't expect this thread to come back from the dead. I don't know the personal circumstances of the Lithuanians in question. However, if they do work and not claim any rebates/benefits then the entire group would pay the same amount of Council Tax as my grandparents. I was one of those opposed to the Poll Tax back in the early 90s. Oh how wrong I was.

15. The only way to make paying for local services fair is the so called "poll tax". 6 adults in the house = 6 council tax payments. Much fairer distribution of contributions then perhaps all those people who have scrimpted and saved over the years to buy their own property do not get penalised for their hardwork.