Council Tax Cover-up

Here's the post:

Council Tax cover-up.

Telegraph

This really is gripping my sh1t. Have the government got a copy of the the Sheriff of Nottingham's 'Guide to Plundering the Hard Earned Cash of the People'? They say the prisons are full, and that closet Islamist, Jack Straw, has urged magistrates to not jail offenders, and yet they'll lock up pensioners, or repossess their houses, for non-payment of Council Tax.

I visited my 92 year old grandparents in Newcastle recently. I was shocked that, in the middle of a cold snap, their house was freezing and they were forced to wear hats, scarves, gloves and winter coats. I asked them why they didn't have the heating on and, after much hesitation (they're proud, you see), they showed me a bill for £1200 Council Tax, which they were having trouble paying. Down the street from them there was a house with a dozen or so Lithuanians living there -- and they were paying the same amount of tax as my grandparents. How can this be right? My grandfather fought bravely in WWII and spent a couple of years after the war recovering from shell shock. What have the new, young arrivals done for our country that can compete with that?

This fcuking nefarious, sorry and pathetic excuse for government. I now know why the law is on the side of the criminal. It's because the government are, by default criminals themselves. They are thieves and fraudsters and war criminals.

I'd urge everyone to descend on Parliament to remove these lickspittles, but, as the most we could get our hands on are paintball guns, I don't think it a good idea.

:x rant over.

hong_kong_fuey said:
TEST. Is anyone else getting database errors when trying to post? I've got a serious rant building up and need to get it off my chest.
Yes, it happened to me last night but my post survived the error. I didn't think the site was busy at the time.

Psst.... Remember to look out of the window before you post anything about HMG; the black van with a strange numberplate on the street corner is usually fairly obvious if "they" are on to you! If the van is there, wear the tinfoil hat.

Litotes

hong_kong_fuey said:
TEST. Is anyone else getting database errors when trying to post? I've got a serious rant building up and need to get it off my chest.
I am! been trying to start a new thread all weekend to tell people this:
Army rugby shirts avaliable from Army rugby union site, only large or VERY large sizes,and they have the wavy union flag over the Army badge on the back, got my 4X XL in two days! And I know i'm a fat cnut but I paid for it! £25 a bargain I reckon!

Yes

also refusing to allow clicking on the quote button.

Try using the bb code buttons too - I can't get it to allow their usage.

hong_kong_fuey said:
I am! been trying to start a new thread all weekend to tell people this:
Army rugby shirts avaliable from Army rugby union site, only large or VERY large sizes,and they have the wavy union flag over the Army badge on the back, got my 4X XL in two days! And I know i'm a fat cnut but I paid for it! £25 a bargain I reckon!

Litotes said:
hong_kong_fuey said:
Yes, it happened to me last night but my post survived the error. I didn't think the site was busy at the time.

Psst.... Remember to look out of the window before you post anything about HMG; the black van with a strange numberplate on the street corner is usually fairly obvious if "they" are on to you! If the van is there, wear the tinfoil hat.

Litotes
How to make a tin-foil hat

remember your grandfather is old now, the council will pick on him because he cannot fight back, however the local Lithuanians are probably young and fit and will most likely put up a fight against the PCSO's.

its sad but thats the gobmint for you

also the gobmint use cars not vans, (they have bought lots of gucci kit recently that fits into a bag, so gone are the days with big vans and blacked out windows.

Reading this ,I was surprised that the Lithuanians were paying any council tax at all.I bet they were claiming every rebate they could.

I thought the Labour idea was that immigrants were supported by the indiginous population.

Le_addeur_noir said:
Reading this ,I was surprised that the Lithuanians were paying any council tax at all.I bet they were claiming every rebate they could.

I thought the Labour idea was that immigrants were supported by the indiginous population.
I didn't expect this thread to come back from the dead. I don't know the personal circumstances of the Lithuanians in question. However, if they do work and not claim any rebates/benefits then the entire group would pay the same amount of Council Tax as my grandparents. I was one of those opposed to the Poll Tax back in the early 90s. Oh how wrong I was.

The only way to make paying for local services fair is the so called "poll tax". 6 adults in the house = 6 council tax payments. Much fairer distribution of contributions then perhaps all those people who have scrimpted and saved over the years to buy their own property do not get penalised for their hardwork.

Ah Rebel_with_a_cause .... so you are saying that Maggie's Poll tax was a good idea after all? Get rid of the Council Tax and bring it in! A faier deal for all.

hong_kong_fuey said:
.......I was one of those opposed to the Poll Tax back in the early 90s. Oh how wrong I was.
Ahh the Poll Tax, both a great idea and monumental f**k up all at the same time...

First mistake was introducing it north of the border first as a 'trial'... The only way to make it work and not alienate part of the union would have been to introduce it across the country in one hit.

Second mistake and without doubt politically the biggest was to allow individual councils to set the charge on a Tax introduced by Central Govt! Conservative Councils generally played the game and set a reasonable rate while the Labour Councils and to some extent the Lib-dems quickly worked it out that they could set a really high rate then the Conservative Government would get all the blame.... Dohh talk about home goals, even homer could have worked that one out!

They should have taken all rights off the local councils to raise funds and worked out the whole cost to provide and run equal services for all across the country, then just split the bill across all those eligible to pay and put the bills in the post. The Councils then get a cheque in the post for their share off the pot. That way everyone from the city dweller to the crofter on some remote farm gets a fair crack. After all, after everything’s said and done we are all citizens of the same country

Splitting the cost down to every individual rather than a household has to be the fairest way to pay for the local services. With a little help for those who really cant afford it and a major discount/free ticket for those who have earned it through community service etc etc.

exile1 said:
Ah Rebel_with_a_cause .... so you are saying that Maggie's Poll tax was a good idea after all? Get rid of the Council Tax and bring it in! A faier deal for all.
Well it was fair in that each person pays their way. Presentation left a lot to be desired though.

I was always a supporter of the "Poll Tax", living in an area with vast numbers of multi-occupancy multi-ethnic "households" I could see how unfair the old rates system was and how much fairer the "poll tax" would have been. If I recall correctly the majority of the shouting about the 2poll tax" came from the great unwashed who were suddenly being asked to contribute to society for a change.

How about OAP's exempt as they have already paid all their lives , all others pay by the number of people (no just adults) who live in the house , if you have a load of kids you use more services so therefore you pay more .