Council Tax Arrears

Hi all, new here but need some advice please.

I've gotten myself into a mess with Council Tax payments and the Council have now sent an attachment of earnings order to cover the debt.

Obviously this is applying the take the money from my pay but will this just happen or will I be in for a telling off or worse as well?

I'm actually glad that they'll take it from pay now as I won't have to worry about it but has anyone ever had this happen or does anyone know the process from here? They council sent the letter yesterday.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Mosquito

Old-Salt
I can't give any specific advice; however, when I've had council tax problems, I rang up my council's Revenues and Benefit team and expected to be dragged over the coals. However, they couldn't have been more helpful. They even allowed me to repay council tax that I owed over a three year period because of my low income - and with no interest charged.

Like so many bureaucratic things, I find that calling the relevant department puts a face (or a voice) to a name and the response you get is so much softer than when everything is done via their formal letters.

Thank you for replying. I've just spoken to them and they have actually agreed a payment plan but they still sent the letter to the army (I don't know where they send it but they've still sent it) so I'm just wondering what the impact on me will be from a Service perspective.

The council have said that once a payment is received, they will write back to my employer and cancel it but it's just that period of uncertainty that's got me so worried.

Thank you for replying. I've just spoken to them and they have actually agreed a payment plan but they still sent the letter to the army (I don't know where they send it but they've still sent it) so I'm just wondering what the impact on me will be from a Service perspective.

The council have said that once a payment is received, they will write back to my employer and cancel it but it's just that period of uncertainty that's got me so worried.
I would suggest contacting your HR peeps to let them know a letter is inbound, then explain that you have already agreed a payment plan which should negate the attachment of earnings order.

Latest Threads