Council staff on £58,000 to be named in war on waste

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Feb 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Council staff on £58,000 to be named in war on waste - Telegraph

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Call me Dave did say the "sunlight is the best disinfectant". I guess we'll soon find out.

It really depends on how this information is published - just a name and a salary will tell us next to nothing. They should publish other information such as number of direct and indirect reports, departmental budget, etc.

I might just assume that someone controlling 1,000 people with a budget of £2M is worth £60K; someone with responsibility for 4 people and with a budget of £250K is not.

Wordsmith

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Having worked in the NHS I understand what is meant by "the explosion of middle management roles", however, councils must be very careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Very often these middle management people are the experienced and knowledgeable people who keep the system going as they know how it operates.

A lot of these posts come about because a gap is identified in the services that a council offers. This gap is filled, but after a few years the person looking for a way up the promotion ladder, a middle management rank is created and someone is then recruited to do the original job. While this is a very natural and human thing, it is weak management and also very expensive; councils should be looking at whether a manager and a public facing person(s) is what is really needed.

By all means get rid of the meaningless post such as Diversity Managers and Welfare Rights Managers and Traveller's Rights Managers and any other make-work type posts but don't lose the real experience and service provision just to continue to appear completely PC.