• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Council Enforcement Officers - Are they trained by the Gestapo?

I'd be impressed if I saw council "enforcers" walk in to the nearest pikey camp, knee deep in human sh1te and dead ponies, and start issuing tickets. I suppose that's a bit trickier than phoning the police and stating that they're in fear for their lives because somebody dropped a fag end. Do the police ever respond to calls for dropped fags?

There are some golden moments though. Councils used to employ "environmental enforcement officers" who would walk on to your property to check that your recycling bins didn't contain anything they shouldn't. It was doubles all round when one of them discovered a metal carry out container in somebody's garden waste bin.

To set an example, the council decided to prosecute. The trial went like this.

Defence Lawyer: Do you have any evidence at all that my client placed the container in the recycling bin?

Council enforcer: Err, no but .......

Judge: Case dismissed. Full costs and court costs will be paid by the council.
Are you talking about private land owned by travellers that they wouldn’t have any legal
right to enter without a warrant?

The law was changed to give these council contractors legal powers, I don't know what exactly but Im not sure you can just tell them to do one anymore.

The law was changed to give these council contractors legal powers, I don't know what exactly but Im not sure you can just tell them to do one anymore.
It’s not an indictable offence, they can do nothing to detain you.

The worst ones are the ones that pick up the dog shit in the nice little dog shit bag....then hang the fecking thing off a branch or leave it by the pavement or on a fence post. The horrible tw@ts. You've picked it up! Now bin the fecking thing!!
whilst not being the smartest mutt, my boy has got in the habit of shitting within sight of a waste bin post feed walking, on the plus side he's a fanny magnet and milks it for his owner

They tend to pick on single mums and youngsters around my way. Anyone above 21 they try to grip is liable to either be off their tits on class A or pumped full of steroids.

( That's just the women)

The one's I see don't have the same dress sense as the Gestapo.Scruffy looking individuals,all in need of a good haircut and shave and or a wash.Strolling around hands in pockets.Litter dropped in front of them, turn around and walk the other way, dog fouling the pavement - same response.
Waste of space all of them.
You've missed the whole point of this thread. If they do their jobs they're Little Hitlers. You need to start a thread on Council Workers who don't do their jobs.

Clean neighborhoods and environment act 2005

3)

“(8A)If an authorised officer of a litter authority proposes to give a person a notice under this section, the officer may require the person to give him his name and address.

(8B)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he fails to give his name and address when required to do so under subsection (8A) above, or

(b)he gives a false or inaccurate name or address in response to a requirement under that subsection.

(8C)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (8B) above is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.”

Clean neighborhoods and environment act 2005

3)

“(8A)If an authorised officer of a litter authority proposes to give a person a notice under this section, the officer may require the person to give him his name and address.

(8B)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he fails to give his name and address when required to do so under subsection (8A) above, or

(b)he gives a false or inaccurate name or address in response to a requirement under that subsection.

(8C)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (8B) above is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.”
The key word there is “summary conviction” so they still cant stop you, now if a copper were near by you’d be fucked, but it might be worth it, if not, just to piss the little hitlers off.

The problem is like most things, we as a nation focus on the 0.1 % of bad cases and not the rest which are perfectly reasonable.

People litter and should be educated not to do it. Anti littering adverts have existed since I was a child in the 70’s, they still do it and should therefore be held to account.

Outsourcing to profit driven private companies is an obsession of this current government and therefore the law of unintended consequences or indeed intended consequences comes in.

I always marvel at the attitude of people who want the law enforcered to the most extreme degree on others but not themselves.

Walking away when you have done wrong refusing to cooperate is a sign of selfishness and refusal to accept responsibility for your actions. If you think you are not guilty of something, challenge it through the system. If not take your punishment.
I can see what you are saying but the key point for me was that the privatisation of the enforcement is driving behaviour likely to make people resentful and seek ways to defeat the "system" rather than modify the way they act. After all, virtually no-one in prison did it and if they did, then it was under special circumstances and they should have been let off.

People pay for services. If they want to litter but simultaneously want to have pleasant surroundings, then they should willingly pay more in local taxes or directly to cleaning companies to deal with it. But the same selfishness and lack of responsibility makes this unlikely.

But to "fine" people is to criminalise them, and to do that you need someone with the power of arrest to enforce it. If that is not there, then you are under no real obligation to co-operate with what is essentially a uniformed employee with the same powers as someone wearing company-branded overalls doing shop-fitting. Up to you if you play the game or not.

When they were directly employed by the council they were seen as part of the Establishment and so people probably thought they had quasi-police powers. Now it is privatised the Emperor's new clothes are seen for what it has really always been - an illusion. It's been tumbled. The danger is that people could even question what legality local by-laws have if there is no realistic threat of court action. And with social media lapping up stuff like this and disseminating it widely, Councils are fighting a losing battle that they themselves have started.

It is unlikely that the calibre of individual employed has really changed over the last few decades, so the pettiness will be a combination of God-complex (which was always there for some) and target achievement that is making a distasteful difference. There is no room for discretion or compassion if you are an hour away from end-of-shift and you have a quota remaining to either get a bonus, paid at all or even keep your job. Caring, sharing society? Good luck with that.

The worst ones are the ones that pick up the dog shit in the nice little dog shit bag....then hang the fecking thing off a branch or leave it by the pavement or on a fence post. The horrible tw@ts. You've picked it up! Now bin the fecking thing!!
Yep. The thick bellends might as well just chuck the shit in the hedge- not ideal but at least it’ll be off the footpath and it’ll biodegrade. In a placky bag it’ll last for fucking years.

Are you talking about private land owned by travellers that they wouldn’t have any legal
right to enter without a warrant?
Fair point if they own the land they're on they can leave it in rag order.

How does what you say apply to council owned parks, lay-bys and indeed council owned caravan sites that sort of area?

The_Duke

LE
I never get any hassle from them. I achieve this through the cunning tactic of not parking like a knob, dropping rubbish or having a dog that I would let crap on the pavement.

I never get any hassle from them. I achieve this through the cunning tactic of not parking like a knob, dropping rubbish or having a dog that I would let crap on the pavement.
Goody twoshoes.

They carry their dogs tennis ball in a black bag around this way.

I always pick up a bit extra sand, not to blag the shit police but because it's always windy and having to tote a flapping bag of dog shite around till you find a bin is both ******* annoying and potentially messy
The latest new rule for dog walkers around here is you can be stopped and asked to show you have poo bags (if you're with the dog). I'm hoping the council enforcers will say "vere are your papers poo bags" in a German accent.

It's the small things.

You'll be suggesting that the way to 'get off' a speeding fine is to not travel faster than the legal speed limit for the road you are driving on.. it'll never catch on

Latest Threads