Council condemned for failing to carve Falklands heros name

"As the Old Steine war memorial is a listed building, it is very unlikely we would be allowed to alter it to include his brother's name."

Damn... now that is one hell of a lame excuse...

Disgusting. These fekkers cannot do this one (and frankly simple) task but cannot do enough to facilitate buffties marching through the streets next weekend (apparently)...

I don't know if this post should be a new thread but here goes.

Have all personnel from Iraq and Afghan et al since 1945 been included on their local memorials?
If not should the MOD or other Government Department be onto this or does it need raising with our/your local MP.

HH

hairyhandbag said:
I don't know if this post should be a new thread but here goes.

Have all personnel from Iraq and Afghan et al since 1945 been included on their local memorials?
If not should the MOD or other Government Department be onto this or does it need raising with our/your local MP.

HH
Good point HH. Has certainly got me in the mood to find out from our council .... and kick up sh1t if it turns out how I think!! :evil:

If you have been looking on the Tom ND (sun defense correspondent)thread I have emailed this to him, he replied. Perhaps the Sun will run with it (then again perhaps not) but let's see.

Probably this so-called leader wallah is one of them and a friend of the shortly to be annointed one.

Richard Littlejohn is right and those who have not read his book about the Bliar years are being led up the garden path to a comfy commie-land with no rights and no freedoms - get reading and let us rid this country of the third rate toss-wits that now run it.

Posted by: Steve Lawless, Brighton on 1:54pm today
Professional soldiers are trained and sign up to be professional killers and give up personal decision making about who they will kill. Getting killed in war is an occupational hazzard. I find it bizarre that they are then described as heroes. Have we lost our critical facilities?
Professional soldiers are trained and sign up to be professional killers and give up personal decision making about who they will kill. Getting killed in war is an occupational hazzard. I find it bizarre that they are then described as heroes. Have we lost our critical facilities?
CNUT

This is touchy subject with me. Now there have been about 17 conflicts since the end of WW2 now go to any war memorial and have look at the last names entered and they will be all WW2. the reason for this is that the government claims we have not been to war since 1945 and the people killed since then had lost their lives in what is termed Police Actions. I was going through a list of Forces people killed in 1956 in Cyprus and totaled some 300 people, which is more than the British army has lost in Iraq and Afghanistan since the conflicts started. look at the numbers killed in Korea can you find any mention of them on any war memorial. So it is not just this Council it is Government policy

Forget the obvious "Died for his country" comments. If he really was killed trying to rescue a colleague/comrade/Brother in Arms should he not be remembered for that.

I bet if he was a Fireman or a Copper killed in a similar moment of selflessness then they would have his name all over the place.

Isn't there "plans" for a national monument to our recently fallen. I remember reading something. With the rate we are losing people with the current climate you would think this matter would be addressed by the RBL and thrown at Parliament.

Anyone know Cllr Oxley, his e-mail or address. Perhaps we could all write to him and persuade him that his views are less than reasonable.

mushroom said:
Anyone know Cllr Oxley, his e-mail or address. Perhaps we could all write to him and persuade him that his views are less than reasonable.
I can confidently confirm that his "listed building" argument is utter, utter rubbish.

Obviously BAFF can't take up every good cause, but after yesterday's victory and parliamentary mentions, I think we could manage a couple of useful letters on this one.

PM me please anyone who has detailed info on the case.

I'd support the addition of more recent casualties but I think the difference is that the two World Wars were/are regarded as 'defence of the realm' conflicts for which there is greater public gratitude than more recent, distant and less 'popular' conflicts. Falklands would be the 'easiest sell'.

Not saying it's right, but that's probably the way it is.

clownbasher said:
I'd support the addition of more recent casualties but I think the difference is that the two World Wars were/are regarded as 'defence of the realm' conflicts for which there is greater public gratitude than more recent, distant and less 'popular' conflicts. Falklands would be the 'easiest sell'.

Not saying it's right, but that's probably the way it is.
Actually no. There is plenty precedent for names from recent conflicts to be added to war memorials. Agreed that it hasnt happened in some communities, but with respect they - and you - must state a considered decision and not try to fall back on "we'd love to but its a listed building".

Dept for Constitutional Affairs said:
It is common for war memorials to include the names of those who fell not only in the two world wars, but in subsequent conflicts. Custodians may therefore include on the memorial additional names. Decisions on such matters are made by the memorial owner, subject to the need for external permission, for instance in the form of Listed Building Consent or a faculty in the case of the Church, where necessary.

Latest Threads