Council bans British army flag

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by gaijin, Sep 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2970307/Council-bans-British-army-flag.html

Council officials warned Dave Dingvean, 46, that flying the 'non-ceremonial' flag of the British Army outside the front of his house was in "breach of planning control" and he would end up in court if he did not remove it.

Mr Dingvean, a volunteer for the British Army Association, was told that the national flag of any country was acceptable but not regimental flags of the armed forces.

The demolition contractor from Tolleshunt Major near Maldon, Essex, said it was a 'treacherous' decision.

"A friend gave it to me and I decided to fly it to support our troops" he said "Someone must have seen it and reported me because within two days I had a letter from the council telling me to take it down."

The letter from planning officers Maldon Council said: "It has come to the attention of the council that a tall flag pole has been erected at the front of the above property. A site inspection has shown that a red Army flag is being flown.

"Such a flag does not benefit from any sort of consent under the Town and Country Planning Regulations 2007."

Mr Dingvean, a member of the British Army Association, which promotes the welfare of troops and bring ex-servicemen together, has expressed his anger at the decision.

"This is treacherous. It is petty minded, they are not thinking about the troops. And no one in the village has complained to me.

"So I can fly the flag of Iraq, Baghdad or Afghanistan but not the army flag. It's ridiculous. It's a show of support," he said.

In protest, the father of two is now flying the national flag of Saudi Arabia on a flagpole outside his semi-detached bungalow.

According to the Department for Communities and Local Government, only the national flag of any country, the flag of the European Union, the Commonwealth, the United Nations, English county flags and saints' flags associated with any particular county can be flown.

Furthermore, the legislation says that no 'advertising material' can be added to the flagstaff.

A Council spokesman said the flag breached Planning Regulations and "Unfortunately, this flag is not one of them and the Council have advised the resident that this is the case. The Council would be more than willing to advise residents on such issues in the future."

In February, a former Gurkha who spent 28 years in the Queen's Gurkha Signals, was banned from flying the regiment's flag from his Nepalese restaurant.

Asbahadur Gurung, 70, whose family served in the Army for 70 years, wanted to display his former regiment's colours, however, council officials said the green and white flag was a form of advertising and refused him permission. But they advised him that he did not need permission to run up the flag of any country, the UN or the EU.

And begin...

2. Just about sums up Britain and the people in charge nowadays

3. Traitorous Scum.
    john

4. Before booking the outrage bus and rousing the duty driver for another excursion, is it just me, or does something not ring true about this story? I know its in the Telegraph, who usually are too savvy to be taken in, but this doesnt seem plausible to me at all.

I have known several people fly regimental or service flags at their premises, and still do, without hindrance

5. Your army has a flag? How quaint.

Wait a minute, can you blame the council? F'in thing gets points for spirit but looks atrocious in a residential area.

[​IMG]

6. How are the Regimental Colours "adverting"?

The council mongs seem to be confused between how the Colours are the figurehead of a Regiment, the embodiment of pride, fighting spirit and histroy. Where as the council "logo" is just a letter head.

Fcuking civvy jobsworth red tape producing mongs, they just don´t have a clue.

The Green and White flag at the Gurhka restaurant sounds more like the Bde of Gurkhas flag, as opposed to the Blue and Red of the QGS. Unless there was a specfic Sqn colour or Hong Kong specific one, that I neveer saw. Certainly 250 Gurkha Signal Squaron didn´t have one, nor the RHQ QGS. 246 and 248 when raised didn´t havee them eiterh.

7. Latest (from Channel 4):

A charity fund raiser was given permission to fly a British Army flag after a council waived the rules.

Demolition contractor Dave Dingvean, 46, raised the standard outside his home in Tolleshunt Major, Essex, in support of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Maldon District Council initially said the flag breached planning rules and should come down. But a spokesman said officials had changed their minds and decided to bend with the wind.

8. Where are the ARRSE FLAGS THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW?????????

RCGJ

9. What f*cking clown wants to fly an Army flag outside his house anyway. F*cking ringpiece. I bet his neighbours think he's a complete c*nt.

10. Too busy to read the article? Or too far "up your own ArRSe to know the difference between Regimental Colours and the "non-ceremonial" flag of the British Army?

I mean, who the fcuk has access to Colours outside of the Regiment in question or in the case of 'retired' Colours, a museum or church?

How many can recall the racket made by a flag flapping against a flag-staff?

I know I would object if my neighbour wanted one outside where I'd be listening to that racket all the time!

Another non-story, whipped-up by the Press for the delectation of the mouth-breathers and window-lickers. :roll:

11. Where are the Arrse flags that''s what i want to know??????

RCGJ

12. LOL @ ringpiece not heard that in erm months, Agreed its a bit walty to fly the "armed forces" (MOD) flag.
    Having said that, had this been in the states there would'nt have been any trouble. They encourage that sort of support.
    We should not never be disuaded or discouraged from flying flags of pride regardless of sceme type or colour, Unless it it a political terrorist or rascist motiv.
    Really the issue is the Council being fckwits and not the keen spirit of the popular neighbour. :D

13. And so the Telegraph continues its slow slide to the level of the Daily Mail. If flying a flag is a breach of planning control then it is an offence. Mr Dingvean may not have been aware of the law, but what he should do now is remove the flag and write to his local council asking for the reasoning behind the judgement and suggesting a revision of the legislation.

Frankly I dread to think what British streets would start to look like if anyone could fly any flag they want. Flag flying should be left to public buildings and military establishments.

14. blokes a bit odd but harmless and well intentioned
    Council fuckwitted but for a change prepared to realize they are being stupid and let him crack on,
    A very rare and commendable thing in a council.
    Usually they get on there version of the outrage bus and start handing out fines and taking people to court.

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Where's the ARRSE flags, that's what I want to know!