Council ban on atheist websites

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by exnorthener, Jul 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't see how atheism is a belief. Unless not having a hobby is a hobby.

2. I believe I'll have another drink.

3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

It's a religious stance, actively choosing not to believe in a god/higher power. Many atheists can be quite vehement in their beliefs.

If you were refused a job because you said you were an atheist, you'd be just as PO'd as any Christian, Muslim or Jew who got similar treatment. Saying that they can claim discrimination and you can't is a little skewed.

4. Personally, I think that they should put a blanket ban on all sites of religion or none at all. Anyway, why are the workers looking on the tinterweb when at work? You would never catch me doing something like that!

5. Everyone has the right to believe in nothing.

Well that's what I think it means.

MTB

6. Yeah, but what if you didn't believe in Allah? Wouldn't you be a Muslim Athiest rather than a Christian one?

What if you were a Buddhist but wanted to look at pictures of witches taking it up the arrse all day? This hasn't been thought through at all.

7. I said nothing about discrimination I was only pointing out that atheism is a lack of belief rather than a belief. That is all. I certainly do not think that atheists should be discriminated against other than in a very small % of jobs.

If you are referring to the article and the lack of access to certain sites then I agree with you. IMO if the council want to take that stance then they should stop access to religious POV sites full-stop or allow access to all religious POV sites.

8. BrunoNoMedals

I'm no Buddhist, but I've got a few videos of that ilk you can have. Blair Bitch Project, Whores of Warcraft, some other random download I can't remember the name of but it's all girl on girl in a forest...

9. BrunoNoMedals

Oh I know you weren't talking of discrimination, but I was just using that as a point that it's most certainly in the same field, potentially with the same abuses. And yes, all or nothing. In fact I do believe that most religious questionnaires used in equality and diversity assessments have atheism and agnosticism as valid options. The council is on seriously dodgy ground here.

10. All religious sites are banned at my work, along with sites such as the national lottery because it is gambling. Even most of the clay pigeon sites i visit are banned because it is classed as firearms.

IT feckers better not ban Arrse

11. Long ago, pre-regs, I used to work for DEFRA. They banned ARMYNET and the MOD website, because they were military - the mongs in IT didn't understand when I explained that it was another Gob'mint department, stupid ignorant fuckers.

12. Not sure what you mean there, but my experience of atheists is not that they believe in nothing. They tend to believe in just about anything that there is evidence for. They just do not believe in Gods as they see no evidence for such a belief.

As far as I can see, atheism is just methodological naturalism carried out to it's logical end. Nothing to do with belief except in the negative.

13. B@STARDS! I shall call down the vengance of Thor upon them! :viking:

14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Atheism is an active diss-belief, i.e. the opposite of belief, and therefore is a belief system of sorts.

Agnostic is when you either don't care, are undecided, or just don't have a belief system.

S_R