Council ban on atheist websites

From the article said:
Under the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to discriminate against workers because of their religion or belief, which includes atheism.
Can't see how atheism is a belief. Unless not having a hobby is a hobby.

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Perturbed said:
From the article said:
Under the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to discriminate against workers because of their religion or belief, which includes atheism.
It's a religious stance, actively choosing not to believe in a god/higher power. Many atheists can be quite vehement in their beliefs.

If you were refused a job because you said you were an atheist, you'd be just as PO'd as any Christian, Muslim or Jew who got similar treatment. Saying that they can claim discrimination and you can't is a little skewed.

Personally, I think that they should put a blanket ban on all sites of religion or none at all. Anyway, why are the workers looking on the tinterweb when at work? You would never catch me doing something like that!

Perturbed said:
From the article said:
Everyone has the right to believe in nothing.

Well that's what I think it means.

MTB

B

BambiBasher

Yeah, but what if you didn't believe in Allah? Wouldn't you be a Muslim Athiest rather than a Christian one?

What if you were a Buddhist but wanted to look at pictures of witches taking it up the arrse all day? This hasn't been thought through at all.

BrunoNoMedals said:
Perturbed said:
From the article said:
It's a religious stance, actively choosing not to believe in a god/higher power. Many atheists can be quite vehement in their beliefs.

If you were refused a job because you said you were an atheist, you'd be just as PO'd as any Christian, Muslim or Jew who got similar treatment. Saying that they can claim discrimination and you can't is a little skewed.
I said nothing about discrimination I was only pointing out that atheism is a lack of belief rather than a belief. That is all. I certainly do not think that atheists should be discriminated against other than in a very small % of jobs.

If you are referring to the article and the lack of access to certain sites then I agree with you. IMO if the council want to take that stance then they should stop access to religious POV sites full-stop or allow access to all religious POV sites.

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
BambiBasher said:
What if you were a Buddhist but wanted to look at pictures of witches taking it up the arrse all day? This hasn't been thought through at all.
I'm no Buddhist, but I've got a few videos of that ilk you can have. Blair Bitch Project, Whores of Warcraft, some other random download I can't remember the name of but it's all girl on girl in a forest...

Perturbed said:
BrunoNoMedals said:
Perturbed said:
From the article said:

I said nothing about discrimination I was only pointing out that atheism is a lack of belief rather than a belief. That is all. I certainly do not think that atheists should be discriminated against other than in a very small % of jobs.

If you are referring to the article and the lack of access to certain sites then I agree with you. IMO if the council want to take that stance then they should stop access to religious POV sites full-stop or allow access to all religious POV sites.
Oh I know you weren't talking of discrimination, but I was just using that as a point that it's most certainly in the same field, potentially with the same abuses. And yes, all or nothing. In fact I do believe that most religious questionnaires used in equality and diversity assessments have atheism and agnosticism as valid options. The council is on seriously dodgy ground here.

All religious sites are banned at my work, along with sites such as the national lottery because it is gambling. Even most of the clay pigeon sites i visit are banned because it is classed as firearms.

IT feckers better not ban Arrse

vandyke said:
All religious sites are banned at my work, along with sites such as the national lottery because it is gambling. Even most of the clay pigeon sites i visit are banned because it is classed as firearms.

IT feckers better not ban Arrse
Long ago, pre-regs, I used to work for DEFRA. They banned ARMYNET and the MOD website, because they were military - the mongs in IT didn't understand when I explained that it was another Gob'mint department, stupid ignorant fuckers.

Mitchthebar said:
Perturbed said:
From the article said:
Everyone has the right to believe in nothing.

Well that's what I think it means.

MTB
Not sure what you mean there, but my experience of atheists is not that they believe in nothing. They tend to believe in just about anything that there is evidence for. They just do not believe in Gods as they see no evidence for such a belief.

As far as I can see, atheism is just methodological naturalism carried out to it's logical end. Nothing to do with belief except in the negative.

Perturbed said:
Atheism is an active diss-belief, i.e. the opposite of belief, and therefore is a belief system of sorts.

Agnostic is when you either don't care, are undecided, or just don't have a belief system.

S_R

The rules also ban sites that promote witchcraft, the paranormal, sexual deviancy and criminal activity.

For sale one computer :(

Ding - I'm getting off my current outrage bus and onto this one... Its much more up to date!

Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Perturbed said:
Atheism is an active diss-belief, i.e. the opposite of belief, and therefore is a belief system of sorts.

Agnostic is when you either don't care, are undecided, or just don't have a belief system.

S_R
Would you like to expand on the atheist bit? I consider myself as agnostic BTW. It is the active dissbelief you aim at atheists that piques my interest.

Do you believe in invisible pink unicorns? If so why? If not, is that an active disbelief?

I want to be a muslim,hindu,buddist,jewish and sikh atheist. I'm fairly ambivalent about christianity so I'll be an agnostic one of them, these wicca birds, are they fit? I'll be into that if they're into a bit of back scuttling.

An atheist is someone who has decided that there is no god.
An agnostic is someone who has decided they do not know.

As an atheist, i am not 'active' in my disbelief of the real existence of god(s) or fairies or pink uincorns. These things are simply not a part of my life. I am however an active humanist. The humanist concept best describes my world view, but humanist sites are blocked.

Basically, there is a religious individual or group within this council, who is using their power to descriminate against the heathens / infidels.

Latest Threads