couldnt find a suitable thread so stuck it here.

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs
Nah,
Some politely listen or know of certain things of how it was, but a percentage of the younger Bods are just following the drama queen, attention seeking, me, me, me mindset of their generation ...

There was even a thread about it awhile back where some Tom was arguing that us CWW never had to face snipers, IEDS, etc , driving 'under armoured' snatch wagons, how he'd even been mortatrd ..oh fecking really?.. I said he'd never stagged on for 7 odd days in bandit country in a freezing ,wet winter with no decent gortex kit, no TI kit, no instant heli support or guns, etc no TOUR Bonus or tax break ,or had a converted gas canister full of anfo lobbed off a truck onto HIS base ....Never been targeted while on leave or in a married quarter, etc.

Then I reminded him that it was all relative as I had never faced a Banzai charge, Stuka attacks or heard Tiger tanks advancing unto my Posn....

Those of us of a certain age, where bought up to respects the WW1 and WW2 Vets and or even knew plenty of them from Parents, relatives ,Skool teachers and in my case, the bloke who lived next door who have been seriously injured by an 88.

It's a different ball game from the moment you mention bed blocks, changing parades and kit flying out the window, RoPs dished out for pretty much anything ..... Basically, the precious b@stards weren't beasted enough to learn any humility , and actually believe their own hype and bullshit fed to them . Add to this the emphasis on PTSD, and you've some who have become just a little bit too self obsessed to even consider what others endured before them , just like the rest of their weak age group.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
is it young serving bods who tend not to talk to us oldies ? i have always found then ok meself. Ok some of the black humour makes them wince , like.... no i self censored that one .
We have a breakfast club in our area and a mix of members but I think being in the mob sort of opens up social situations whereas once youve left an organisation say , the masons you are dead to them theres no nostalgic banter anymore.

I am not anymore on Facebook but i remember on a site , i think it was "I was a BAOR soldier" there was a chod goading the older guys on there saying, show us your medals. The guy fair to him got a medal i can´t remember what it was but was a total prick.
I got into a FB argument over a Danbury Mint* Cold War or BAOR medal (tin tat). There were loads of old alkies going on that 'its a disgrace we have to buy this medal" blah blah blah. I tried to point out that it wasn't an official medal, and shouldn't be worn alongside those awarded under a Royal Warrant. The discussion then morphed in to "what a disgrace that there is no National Defence Medal" so I responded with the risk and rigour criteria used by the Government to determine if medals should be awarded. This then led to the inevitable "but we were ready to be run over by the Third Shock Army, so we should get a medal" which saw others respond with 'Well, I think I should get a VC because I was ready to be brave...'etc.

Like my visit to the care home (qv), arguments with people like this are pointless and frustrating. They remind me of the conversation Winston Smith had in 'Nineteeneightyfour' with an old sot in an East End pub about life before Big Brother. It was just a random collection of insignificant events.

* Other medalists available (and should be shamed)

I bumped into an old GPR boy last year. 'Hamilcar or Horsa?' says I. He was genuinely surprised I knew what a Hamilcar was! He was a Horsa pilot and survived both Market Garden and Varsity. I always make an effort if I see a cap badge on display. He had his lid on... in a care home. I wonder if he's survived this 'op'?

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
I got into a FB argument over a Danbury Mint* Cold War or BAOR medal (tin tat). There were loads of old alkies going on that 'its a disgrace we have to buy this medal" blah blah blah. I tried to point out that it wasn't an official medal, and shouldn't be worn alongside those awarded under a Royal Warrant. The discussion then morphed in to "what a disgrace that there is no National Defence Medal" so I responded with the risk and rigour criteria used by the Government to determine if medals should be awarded. This then led to the inevitable "but we were ready to be run over by the Third Shock Army, so we should get a medal" which saw others respond with 'Well, I think I should get a VC because I was ready to be brave...'etc.

Like my visit to the care home (qv), arguments with people like this are pointless and frustrating. They remind me of the conversation Winston Smith had in 'Nineteeneightyfour' with an old sot in an East End pub about life before Big Brother. It was just a random collection of insignificant events.

* Other medalists available (and should be shamed)
Well medals don't help feed you in Civ div. Don't really give a toss myself. Although I Remember reading a Story about an sas guy who had to sell medals to get by. Things have changed no one really cares. I only got one medal.. In a drawer some where.

Well medals don't help feed you in Civ div. Don't really give a toss myself. Although I Remember reading a Story about an sas guy who had to sell medals to get by. Things have changed no one really cares. I only got one medal.. In a drawer some where.
You are right, of course. But they are totemic for many SP and ex SP. I left with 9 round ones (which is common for anyone who has served the last 20-odd years). I will wear them on Remembrance day, probably.