Could You be a Hangman??

How Britain made its executioners

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5035690.stm
They called it "the profession" - and it was one of the hardest jobs in the world to get.
Previously secret documents released from deep within the British justice system reveal the rules, ethics and code of being an executioner in the 20th century.
The job was not as simple as having a strong stomach - and the strength to pull a lever when it mattered.
According to the papers in the National Archives, not only did candidates need skill under pressure, they also had to be judged psychologically sound.
The process of becoming an approved name on "the list" has long been shrouded in secrecy.
But the documents reveal that the men were selected largely through informal approaches, sometimes because of experience as an executioner in the forces.
Papers from 1938 review the then list of seven men judged "competent to carry out the duties". In almost all cases they were in stable and often dull jobs, living happily married settled lives.
hhhmmm interesting little part time job to have.

what about it??

if the gov brought back capital punisment would (or could) you do the job?
you have any ideas on how to improve the system? example - use them for moving target practice perhaps??

FANTASY EXECUTIONERS JOB APPLICATION !!!

please post your applications below for the job of state executioner.

stating -
why you want the job.
how you would improve 'efficiency' and standards.
any previous experience of a similar nature.
if you have your own rope/gun/axe/can of petrol ect

"Mr Home Secretary, I would like to apply for a job in 'the profession' because........................."

nah bother pal :p :p :p :p

Why do I want the job?

Think of all the interesting perverts/weirdos/murders etc you could meet, on just the one occasion.
I'd be happy to hang most of the people I have to work with.

Improve efficiency and standards?

Difficult one untill the appropriate time and motion studys have been done, along with a SWOT analysis and a cost benefit analysis. (or just cuff it like normal, make up the data and choose a method that I like as its easy)

Previous Experience?

I've killed threads, conversations and my own career.

you may get fed up people just dropping in though :? :? :? :?

even if you don't like them at least its only once that you meet them and you get to fiddle with the female "customers" , there is no comeback afterward :)

Yes I'd do it and as I was a Higher Senior APT in years gone by I'd assist the
Home Office Pathologist with the autopsy.

2 jobs for the price of one- now there's value for money!! 8)

semper said:
and you get to fiddle with the female "customers" , there is no comeback afterward :)
'Still-warm dibs' was considered one of the perks of the Tudor executioner.

FCuk me what a job. Where would you sign up? I would not lose one moments sleep doing it. Official Enforcer. Sounds good.

I'd PAY money to despatch some of our nations worst despicable, sleazy criminal fraternity! And once I'd finished with one or two members of Neue Arbeit we could also execute some murderers!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can't see any difficulty, in fact I have a little list of those I would quite happily see no more of!

Try reading "Pierrepoint a Family of Executioners" little bit different from the BBC version.
Father Uncle and Albert all developed some 'mental' problems.
john
Henry P, 105 executions
Tomas P, 294 executions
Albert P, 435 executions

Carcass said:
semper said:
and you get to fiddle with the female "customers" , there is no comeback afterward :)
'Still-warm dibs' was considered one of the perks of the Tudor executioner.
Very warm if you'd just burned them, at the stake :twisted:

jonwilly said:
Try reading "Pierrepoint a Family of Executioners" little bit different from the BBC version.
Father Uncle and Albert all developed some 'mental' problems.
john
Henry P, 105 executions
Tomas P, 294 executions
Albert P, 435 executions
That might just be an authors opinion though. Try looking at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2006/04/27/pierrepoint_lasthangman_feature.shtml
...there is a link to a 25 minute long radio interview with Albert Pierrepoint, recorded in 1976. Listening to it filed to convince me that he developed mental problems. It is worth a listen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fintry The NAAFI Bar 50
saintstone Sick Jokes 1
saintstone Sick Jokes 1