Could we have stopped the bear?

Yes, Poland has the space for some very extensive training areas.

The way things are going at present, when Moscow completely takes over Ukraine and Belarus and a reiteration of 3 SA is stationed on the far side of the Bug River; there is a good possibility of NATO stiffening its presence on its eastern flank. British Army on the Vistula, anybody?
We couldn‘t guarantee Poland then, we couldn‘t now.

LD17

MIA
OT, slightly..........While I am diligently trying to write up the GDP Plan for my document, if anyone would like to contribute information from their experience please email me at baororbat@gmail.com
I will respect any remain anonymous requests,

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
That's exactly what I was told, even reached out to Mungo Melvin also.....but I had read that NATO had pulled it out for an exercise fairly recently (in the 2000's), for the life of me I can't remember the name.

I do know that 4/7 DG was supposed to be the Covering Force (not the whole 20 Bde) in 4 AD's sector and there was a Hartz Group which I don't have much info on at this time.
Ex united shield. All copies of this were binned because Mungo annoyed the civil servants. Oh and everyone was upset with David Richards for what looked like an exercise to promote the need for a bigger army. I have a copy of the reader, whicxh I scanned from the author's copy.

Did keeble go on to be an Anglican churchman? I only ask, cos when talking to the Archbishop of Canterbury as one does, he told me an anecdote of a very aggressive Para regiment officer in the FI who.. went on to be a minister in the CofE
I believe he's still RC.
In my experience the move tends to be from CofE to RC.
As an example we have a former Episcopalian Vicar (still married and who transferred with special Papal dispensation) who is now officiating as the incumbent RC Priest at our local Church.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
IIRC around 1981/82 there were about 14-15 Inf Bns in situ in FRG, post 1983 it was 13
My recollection (first RAPC posting was to 12 Armd Wksp, Nov 82) is that on 2 Armd Div's return to York, and styled an Inf Div, 12 Armd Bde stayed, moved to 1 Armd Div, and 12 Armd Wksp continued to support 12 Armd Bde as a minor unit, while 7 Armd Wksp supported the two other brigades in 1 Div.

Which implies that infantry battalions from the other 2 Div brigade went back to York, for establishment there 1 Jan 83. But I was in a brand new posting in a brand new job, so don't quote.

259066465_412444383708993_7456937184138462840_n.jpg

259066465_412444383708993_7456937184138462840_n.jpg

5 euro for a handbag...

Fook it, we'll take the whole pallet.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
@Pteranadon beat me to it....

Agree completely with his review.....
(full transparency, Jim Storr does mention he made use of my document for at least one tidbit of information).
The GDP details I am working on to add to my BAOR document line up with mentions in the book. One notable error, which may be from the printer/editor.....BAOR is referred to having 14 Inf Bns in a mech role, it was 13 throughout the 1980's (since 1982/83). Other than that everything, from what I know, is spot on.

Also I am trying to reach out to Jim Storr (Jim if you are lurking here please email me), apparently the 1 BR Corps GDP resides (as of 2009) with ARRC. I will be sending them and MOD an FOI. Jim Storr mentions this document that he used for information numerous times in the book

HQ Allied Rapid Reaction Corps' Reader for G5 Branch Operational Group Staff Ride 31 August - 3 September 2009.

Short Title: ARRCADE PLANNER

Conclusion....Get the Book!!!
this really is top work, please keep it going.

Works out at 53p a (500ml ?) bottle.

That's cracking!

Cheaper than bottled water...

If the German marketing teams had really understood squaddies, they'd have adapted the handbags to contain a 'ration pack' compartment filled with snacks and a packet of cigarettes. It would have been beyond perfect.

LD17

MIA
@Auld-Yin @Proff3RTR @ste14w @dingerr @Pteranadon et al........slightly OT but I am speaking to @Bad CO currently and we are trying to find an easy way to post all the documents that I have from FOI requests and acquired from Kew. Most, if not all are in PDF form. Sometimes the raw docs number 500 pages (and are usually duplicates) so I have been breaking them down to more manageable sizes, for instance the Haul Down Report I posted via the Snipping tool. Any ideas or suggestions? I want to make this accessible to you gents as I am sitting on a pretty significant amount of history.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@Auld-Yin @Proff3RTR @ste14w @dingerr @Pteranadon et al........slightly OT but I am speaking to @Bad CO currently and we are trying to find an easy way to post all the documents that I have from FOI requests and acquired from Kew. Most, if not all are in PDF form. Sometimes the raw docs number 500 pages (and are usually duplicates) so I have been breaking them down to more manageable sizes, for instance the Haul Down Report I posted via the Snipping tool. Any ideas or suggestions? I want to make this accessible to you gents as I am sitting on a pretty significant amount of history.
As I said, get in touch with the Owners via: admin@arrse.co.uk This is their decision and area of expertise.

If the COs are willing, a Cold War or BAOR forum might be a good start. There are several relevant threads that could be relocated there.

A dedicated forum could be a popular resource, and might shed light on all kinds of interesting things - not to mention preserving memories and historical material. Apart from representing half a century of British military history, the stand off along the IGB created one of the world's biggest 'What ifs?'.

There may also be some useful lessons from that period as we slip blunder into Cold War II.

ETA: @Bad CO

LD17

MIA
If the COs are willing, a Cold War or BAOR forum might be a good start. There are several relevant threads that could be relocated there.

A dedicated forum could be a popular resource, and might shed light on all kinds of interesting things - not to mention preserving memories and historical material. Apart from representing half a century of British military history, the stand off along the IGB created one of the world's biggest 'What ifs?'.

There may also be some useful lessons from that period as we slip blunder into Cold War II.

@Bad CO is diligently working on a solution with me.

Proff3RTR

War Hero

second this, a BAOR/Cold war area would be very much appreciated. lets hope the CO's have a heads of sheds soon and decide in favour.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
nd, yes, can see CW2 looming very soon, and it would appear no one is willing to even try to stop it, ah well, here we go again.