Could we have stopped the bear?

One question . When they got rid of the Ferrets what did the SSM travel in ?
I presume he wasn't made to walk :-D
Ha, ours was a para, he used to run everywhere anyway :crazy:

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
One question . When they got rid of the Ferrets what did the SSM travel in ?
I presume he wasn't made to walk :-D
images

Proff3RTR

War Hero
When I served each squadron still had dozers, the blades being fitted to a Chieftain.
Each squadron had 14 tanks- 12 sabre tanks, 1 command tank plus the dozer, 1 armoured ambulance and a command FV432.
1 x Ferret for the SSM.
On mobilisation vehicles were seconded from MT Troop and Command Troop, such as Stalwarts for POL and replen.
The thinking being was to make each squadron as independent as possible.
HQ squadron was also beefed up with attachments from the Royal Sigs and RAMC.
And yes, the 105 mil was exceptional in it's day, but eventually the American and German armies moved to 120 mil.
Same set up as my first Soltau scheme ( except we had Chally 1), 2 weeks driving between the schwindebeek & jackboot fcuking wood, loads of fun, first time I saw lay-by Lille as well………….

Same set up as my first Soltau scheme ( except we had Chally 1), 2 weeks driving between the schwindebeek & jackboot fcuking wood, loads of fun, first time I saw lay-by Lille as well………….
Haha, Lay-By Lil, the suspension on that VW camper must have been designed by Boeing :grin::grin:

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Haha, Lay-By Lil, the suspension on that VW camper must have been designed by Boeing :grin::grin:
I would not know………………I was only a very young 18 1/2 year old Tpr.

I would not know………………I was only a very young 18 1/2 year old Tpr.
Of course....

I think Lil and Wolfgang, if either are still with us, should be awarded Knighthoods for services to morale.
And British Aerospace need to back engineer their vehicles, they sometimes got them into places that even Recce Troop had given up on.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Of course....

I think Lil and Wolfgang, if either are still with us, should be awarded Knighthoods for services to morale.
And British Aerospace need to back engineer their vehicles, they sometimes got them into places that even Recce Troop had given up on.
I would think Wolfe is long gone, I last saw him in 92 when the new CO of 2 RTR wanted to hold an Ogp in his restaurant in Soltau itself. I got dicked to drive OC Nero Sqn to the Ogp ( how someone from Recce got dicked for that ask me not, something to do with me knowing Soltau v well and exactly where Wolfe’s gaff was). Any how, I got a Lanny from Cmd Tp and set off with said OC, gets to the gaff and off pops my Rodney into the place, 5 of us idiots sat out in the car park for about 30 mins before Wolfe’s daughter comes out with 5 huge plates full of curry wurst mit pommes! I felt sorry for her (for about 2 seconds) as we were honking after almost 2 weeks on scheme, and she was fairly pretty, and as squaddies do we just could not help ourselves leaching, joking etc as she walked over. She had a chat with us and took our plates after we had eaten our fill. Best Ogp I ever had to attend! Very happy days.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Of course....

Wolfgang is on Facebook. He is regularly reported as dead, only to pop up and tell us he isn't. He is getting old and infirm though.

Lives in Miami iirc.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Getting….j
Wolfgang is on Facebook. He is regularly reported as dead, only to pop up and tell us he isn't. He is getting old and infirm though.

Lives in Miami iirc.
Jesus, he looked like he looked old enough to of been driving a panzer in Russia back in 41 when I first saw him and that was 88! Man must be nearly 100 now then if it is him.

Lives in Miami iirc.
Well I hope he's enjoying the sun in Miami, I sincerely wish him all the best.

Do you know if he took Lil with him?

:)

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Well I hope he's enjoying the sun in Miami, I sincerely wish him all the best.

Do you know if he took Lil with him?

:)
I bloody well hope so…………I still wake up screaming every now and then, the horror…….

LD17

MIA
So Gents, received some more docs from Kew......looks like no Cents other than listed. Pages are from this doc:

DEFE 70/2233Main battle tanks MBTs: Tank fleet size and shape Future tank fleet after Convention on Armed Forces in Europe treaty D/DGLFSF&S/94/14/1 PART B

1989 Jul 07 - 1992 Mar 23

DEFE_70_2233_0020.JPG

DEFE_70_2233_0021.JPG

DEFE_70_2233_0022.JPG

I am trying to get my new version out within the next two weeks so I will be updating the equipment appendix.

Londo

LE
So Gents, received some more docs from Kew......looks like no Cents other than listed. Pages are from this doc:

DEFE 70/2233Main battle tanks MBTs: Tank fleet size and shape Future tank fleet after Convention on Armed Forces in Europe treaty D/DGLFSF&S/94/14/1 PART B

1989 Jul 07 - 1992 Mar 23

View attachment 611631

View attachment 611632

View attachment 611633

I am trying to get my new version out within the next two weeks so I will be updating the equipment appendix.
Thanks for posting

Yokel

LE
Possible stupid question - if converted Centurions and/or Chieftains were used for things such as bridge laying or a recovery vehicles for broken down MBTs, were drivers and other crew attached from the RAC to RE/REME units, or did Sappers and REME bods get trained as the crew?

Possible stupid question - if converted Centurions and/or Chieftains were used for things such as bridge laying or a recovery vehicles for broken down MBTs, were drivers and other crew attached from the RAC to RE/REME units, or did Sappers and REME bods get trained as the crew?
They got their own crews, in my Sqn I had a Light Aid Detachment (LAD) which consisted of 3 vehicles, two Warrior based vehicles, one for the Tiffy (SSgt) who commanded the LAD and a CRARRV, a CR1 based recovery vehicle. All were crewed by REME.

Similar case for the RE variants, crewed by their own cap badge .

Londo

LE
No experience in these matters myself but I am at this very moment reading up on the Conqueror Armoured Recovery Vehicle used with the Centurian Regiments in the mid to late 60's and that was stated to have a crew of 4 . An NCO plus three REME personnel .

Latest Threads