Could we have stopped the bear?

Add vodka for breakfast, and you've just defined the Soviet concept of employment.
GSFG was 'dry' for anybody below the rank of Praporshcick (Warrant Officer(ish). all barracks were dry but, that didn't stop a lot of 'shine' being produced...they had to change the official boot polish because they were actually distilling it...not forgetting all the usual suspects containing an amount of alcohol !

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
GSFG was 'dry' for anybody below the rank of Praporshcick (Warrant Officer(ish). all barracks were dry but, that didn't stop a lot of 'shine' being produced...they had to change the official boot polish because they were actually distilling it...not forgetting all the usual suspects containing an amount of alcohol !

The ones I recall were spreading boot polish on to thick slices of bread and sticking them polish side down on a hot, sunny window sill and, of course, helicopters being grounded due to an unfortunate shortage of anti-freeze. Mind you, some of my troops in Norway acquired a taste for naphtha mixed with screech.

The ones I recall were spreading boot polish on to thick slices of bread and sticking them polish side down on a hot, sunny window sill and, of course, helicopters being grounded due to an unfortunate shortage of anti-freeze. Mind you, some of my troops in Norway acquired a taste for naphtha mixed with screech.
Back in the mid-70's,there was a report in Neues Deutschland regarding Soviet troops rampaging through Brandenburg. A train returning troops and trucks from harvest, had been held up in the Brandenburg yards for the best part of 24 hrs...reports stated that drunken soldiers had left the confines of the marshalling yard,to seek out drink. Another report about a week later stated that,the ringleaders were from one of the autonomous regions, had accessed the trucks during the journey back to the DDR and, distilled the antifreeze in their M-Wagen before distributing it amongst the other wagons. They were in the process of being tried by a military court !

We did a tour up near Pritzwalk , just off of R5 we found a broken down BTR 60 PB, the tour officer opened his window and shouted across to see if they needed assistance...the reply was a shower of beer bottles coming out through the roof hatch,followed by a lot of shouting. We left them to enjoy what was left of their military career ! ;-)

I think some of the BAOR depots in Belgium still had WW2 kit in (theoretical) working order.

There were loads of WW2 webbing and similar personal kit stacked on shelves in the UK.
I was issued 1937 pattern webbing in 1976. (JLR RCT).

1940's dated LMG aka BREN GUNS with the .303 etc over stamped 7.62 etc.

Shagged out SLR's.

We looked like extra's from the film Wild Geese.

2 US Armoured Division (Hell on Wheels) certainly participated in Spearpoint, and spent at least some of the Ex as Orange.

A mucker got a yellow card off a Septic, basically don't try and outdrink the Brits, gamble with them or try and steal their women.
For me, l couldn't make up my mind about those cards. I was told they definitely did exist. I was also told that they definitely did not exist.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
For me, l couldn't make up my mind about those cards. I was told they definitely did exist. I was also told that they definitely did not exist.
Agreed. Mucker was known to wait sometimes.

ches

LE
Yes, there were probably NORTHAG/CENTAG agreements. Apparently, HQ BAOR had already started planning in 1949 to build explosion chambers into all "important" new bridges.
The site is unfortunately in German but very informative about the Cold War in Germany.
I nicked the photos from there.

About 20 odd years ago I was attending an industry sector seminar at which a bloke talked about a few weird local specifics in various nations building regulations (of variation thereof). Some were future conflict driven inc South Korea that had a stipulation that any building over X sq m footprint that overlooked important road junction in major cities couldn't have internal partitions closers than X dimension from each other - reason to allow sufficient volume of use of anti tank weapons (ATGM & rocket propelled) & resultant back blast.

We used to find them in our sleeping bags.

The cards that is, not the Yanks...

Weird. I was in Berlin when the Sovs invaded Afghanistan and we received no brief at all. Mind you, I was in G Int, so I probably read about it in the newspapers.

That got me thinking! In those days most of us might have read day-old copies of the Sun and occasionally heard brief news snippets on BFBS but, compared to today, we really were mushrooms weren't we?

That got me thinking! In those days most of us might have read day-old copies of the Sun and occasionally heard brief news snippets on BFBS but, compared to today, we really were mushrooms weren't we?
Checking your watch to see if it was time for the six o' clock or nine o' clock TV news.

Walking down to the newsagents to buy a paper...

Switching on the radio...

It was a different world. There are days when I deeply miss it.

Weird. I was in Berlin when the Sovs invaded Afghanistan and we received no brief at all. Mind you, I was in G Int, so I probably read about it in the newspapers.
We were ordered to curtail any social gatherings with the Sovs...not Just by BAOR but, our friends (NOT) at the FCO and, the MOD.

If you're dealing with SERB and HQ GSFG regularly, it was a pain in the arse.
We tried to maintain a cordial relationship with SERB who ,in the main realised our predicament !

Zhopa

LE
our friends (NOT) at the FCO

Odd how consistently you hear this through the decades from defence attachés in Moscow too. Almost as though there's a sort of pattern.

Latest Threads