Could we have stopped the bear?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I may nave mentioned it before. 17/21L were NATO NORTHAG Counterstroke regiment. Whilst everyone else was fighting a defensive battle back to the channel ports, we were heading east into the rear areas to cause mayhem.

There was no plan to replen us. “Death or Glory”, indeed. Hurrah!

Musical Box walts.

Erinon

Old-Salt
No Oppo,

My crap English is what it is, I can't dance (even when bat faced) so that's a none starter, as for the cnut bit, guilty as charged, (I was a sensitive baby........)
So please, forgive my shite grammer. but yep, I thought it was/is a interesting post, have had some good posts and I have enjoyed them.

(and you can serve for a long time if you know how, without going full on Rodney)
are you up for the full RSM's pension?

Absolutely, to crowbar open locked bierkeller doors and any place where German women might be hiding.

Crowbar the door indeed :rolleyes: One round from That Rifle would have obliterate anything standing in it's way, such was the awesome power of that magnificent weapon.

The answer to the question is YES.

Simple:

Bears defecate in woods.

In the event of Ivan crossing the IGB and being antisocial towards NATO Troops and being nasty to the British Troops, the Yanks & Frogs behind enemy lines in Berlin.

All the Wedge, Planks, Infantry Assault Pioneers and others with a low IQ including the Riff Raff Regt would be issued with a chain saw and unlimited supply of petrol and chain saw oil.

Their orders would be to cut down all the woods, trees and forests from the IGB to the Rhine.

No trees, woods or forests then the Bear can not take a dump and becomes constipated.

The Bear returns back behind the IGB and relieves himself in the Eastern Block woods.

NATO Mission accomplished, Western Troops return to Barracks for tea, toast and medals.

QM's spend the next 6 months chasing up diffy chain saws.

The answer to the question is YES.

Simple:

Bears defecate in woods.

In the event of Ivan crossing the IGB and being antisocial towards NATO Troops and being nasty to the British Troops, the Yanks & Frogs behind enemy lines in Berlin.

All the Wedge, Planks, Infantry Assault Pioneers and others with a low IQ including the Riff Raff Regt would be issued with a chain saw and unlimited supply of petrol and chain saw oil.

Their orders would be to cut down all the woods, trees and forests from the IGB to the Rhine.

No trees, woods or forests then the Bear can not take a dump and becomes constipated.

The Bear returns back behind the IGB and relieves himself in the Eastern Block woods.

NATO Mission accomplished, Western Troops return to Barracks for tea, toast and medals.

QM's spend the next 6 months chasing up diffy chain saws.

Several thousand squaddies with chainsaws, petrol, and a sense of urgency...

They'd have done more damage to themselves than 3 Shock Army could ever have hoped to inflict.

Oh my beautiful girl, brings tears to my eyes (or scars as being a remf we only had ironsights) that lovely smell on Ash ranges early doors. I think I have just had some sex wee appear..............

Mine had wooden furniture, which did seem less 'crashy' next to my ear than the plastic version. My theory was that everyone knew I was some sort of superhero, so I got the pretty gat. Later I came to think that the newest bod got the oldest, shagged out weapon. Oops.

I vaguely recall the serial number being A4819, but that seems too short ?

I could imagine the sudden silence at the end of the final O Group, had that day ever arrived.

Atmospheric to say the least...
When the Russians, errmmm, I mean the Fantasians, were trying to get along the coast to Mariupol a few years ago, there was indeed such an O-group for a small number of the defending Ukrainians. They were successful and the Russ...... Fantasians paused, leaving the position we see now and quite possibly preventing the loss of their country up to the Dniepr.

Altcar Ranges January 1973. Two foot of snow and a piece of 4x2 soaked in spit shoved into your ears to muffle the bang ring bang. Can't hear the bang any more but still get the ringing...

SLR 7.62 I could hit a figure 12 from 800 yards with it. Won the 'Pool Bull' at Bisley twice. Beautiful bit of kit.
What I never got was they started issuing Amplivox, yes we all understand why now! SPEAK LOUDER but at the time you thought, well I won't be taking these into East Germany, and why , oh for the same reason I am getting booted in the ribs for not hearing fire control orders as I have massive green doughnuts on my ears?

Mine had wooden furniture, which did seem less 'crashy' next to my ear than the plastic version. My theory was that everyone knew I was some sort of superhero, so I got the pretty gat. Later I came to think that the newest bod got the oldest, shagged out weapon. Oops.

What would have stopped the bear would have been the 2P piece in the magazine on a "present arms " movement, full platoon, they would have bricked it !

Yea it's Friday and we know what that means...

We started Weds sports afternoon, what were you playing at....... All sensible behaviour stopped til 8 am first parade on Monday. Maybe just a REME thing. I remember few details but do remember alot of lifts home with the constabulary of whom we came to an arrangement that they would drop us at the gym. Then we would walk back into camp the last 200 yds. Happy days.

What would have stopped the bear would have been the 2P piece in the magazine on a "present arms "
That was a ******* enormous magazine!

Well not really but on parade while obviously empty that little addition always made the stick man smile
A 2p coin is wider than the mag follower of an SLR magazine.

I'd imagine that little addition would make the armourer go, "What the **** were you thinking?"

Perhaps there were fewer around back then Methuselah, and they didn't need all the extra numbers.

There were prepared barrier installations with blast shafts and other obstacles;

I remember doing classroom training on setting these "cheeses" into the shafts on bridges. Never actually practiced it though. Apparently we had bridges assigned to us once we hit Germany.

I could imagine the sudden silence at the end of the final O Group, had that day ever arrived.

Atmospheric to say the least...
The whole regiment in the SKC Col J*** A*****S on the stage, total silence......" The Russians have marched into Afghanistan, as of now, we are all on a war footing" 1000+ blokes totally silent, you could have heard a mouse fart. ...the rest is history. :salut:

The whole regiment in the SKC Col J*** A*****S on the stage, total silence......" The Russians have marched into Afghanistan, as of now, we are all on a war footing" 1000+ blokes totally silent, you could have heard a mouse fart. ...the rest is history. :salut:
I bet there were a few 'interesting' briefings in 50 Missile Regiment over the years. I wonder if they ever had any crash outs that seemed more real than others...

Latest Threads