Could we have stopped the bear?

A friend of mine recalls that as a young officer in BAOR in the 80s he was in a group chatting to a grizzled old German full colonel of tanks who had fought on the Eastern Front.

"M60, too big and slow. Chieftain, good defensive tank. Leopard, fast, agile and good on marshy ground."
"But there isn't much marshy ground in Germany."
"Not Germany. Bielorussia."
Spent a couple of weeks with 533 Jager, early 90s. In the event of a third unpleasantness, their plan was to drive east...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nah - therse are just a rip off of the General and Speical instructions from any number of Bovington BBGTs. Who hasn't heard of the Fantasian invasion of Hampshire?
Had granddaughter stay in August. Monkey World or Tank Museum? "Tank Museum, Granddad." Zero Alpha was seriously dischuffed (but I finally took Grandma to Monkey World a couple of weeks ago).

Bella took to the Tank Museum. Chuffed to see my name on the plaque on the ramp between Cold War Hall and restaurant. Live display shortly, let's get a good seat. As we walked I put it to Zero Alpha and Alien Minor 2 that I was sure I'd heard about a Fantasian invasion on the local news.

Bella got to ride in a tank a tracked cargo carrier and generally had a good day.

It's in her blood, obviously through me, but also her mum, Alien Minor 1, who drove a 432 at Whale Island as a 6th former on a school trip.

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
How long have you been in son? Don't look at your watch...
a wee while (33 yrs and still going,you?) , long enough to spot a cnut when I see/hear one, so what point are you trying to make/highlight ? that you were in before me, more than likely, have a medal for your efforts mate, as clearly you are an old sweat of the highest order and must be listened to.........

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Spent a couple of weeks with 533 Jager, early 90s. In the event of a third unpleasantness, their plan was to drive east...
I may nave mentioned it before. 17/21L were NATO NORTHAG Counterstroke regiment. Whilst everyone else was fighting a defensive battle back to the channel ports, we were heading east into the rear areas to cause mayhem.

There was no plan to replen us. “Death or Glory”, indeed. Hurrah!

a wee while (33 yrs and still going,you?) , long enough to spot a cnut when I see/hear one, so what point are you trying to make/highlight ? that you were in before me, more than likely, have a medal for your efforts mate, as clearly you are an old sweat of the highest order and must be listened to.........
You've been in the job 33 years. You must be at least a Lt Col by now. Yet strangely enough your command of the English language is not sufficient for you to know the difference between 'of' and 'have' in your title for this thread.

I may nave mentioned it before. 17/21L were NATO NORTHAG Counterstroke regiment. Whilst everyone else was fighting a defensive battle back to the channel ports, we were heading east into the rear areas to cause mayhem.

I could imagine the sudden silence at the end of the final O Group, had that day ever arrived.

Atmospheric to say the least...

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
You've been in the job 33 years. You must be at least a Lt Col by now. Yet strangely enough your command of the English language is not sufficient for you to know the difference between 'of' and 'have' in your title for this threwell done, poor attempt at trying to gain the 'high' ground, yes 33 years and still don't know the diff between to, too and two etc, well that's a lie, I know two is how many brain cells

You've been in the job 33 years. You must be at least a Lt Col by now. Yet strangely enough your command of the English language is not sufficient for you to know the difference between 'of' and 'have' in your title for this thread.
well done, poor attempt at trying to gain the 'high' ground, yes 33 years and still don't know the diff between to, too and two etc, well that's a lie, I know two is how many brain cells that average Tpr has. And to be honest I never realy even on my EFP took a massive amount of interest in English. So again, what is your point? that you have a bit more grey matter than me.... ok, well done, do you want another gong oppo?

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer

Gosh that brings back memories of Reggie Purbrick, Robert Gordon, a young James Everard Asparagus patches and A Squadron smokers with a rousing chorus of the Panzerleid. That was a battlegroup that could have led a counter stroke. They were brigaded with the Irish Guards who operated to a more ponderous pace. One briefing included the memorable phrase "We are going to carry out a counter stroke in sixteen phases."

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Oh Shit, I forgot to mention, I'm an ex armoured farmer and being west cundry we speak a bit funny, moit even spell a bit funny (spot the obvious mistakes, and no it is not 'Oh Shit'). Or are you now going to pick me up for that as well oh wise one.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I could imagine the sudden silence at the end of the final O Group, had that day ever arrived.

Atmospheric to say the least...
We were gathered together and informed. We all cheered. We were informed there was no plan to replenish us. We cheered louder. What better way to use Boneheads.
The motto is a bit of a giveaway. If you’re looking for a quiet life , there’s plenty of sensible careers away from the armed forces.

Londo

LE
Nah - therse are just a rip off of the General and Speical instructions from any number of Bovington BBGTs. Who hasn't heard of the Fantasian invasion of Hampshire?
Well I hadn't for starters .
Anyway those Fantasians all seem to be invading Kent at the moment

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Gosh that brings back memories of Reggie Purbrick, Robert Gordon, a young James Everard Asparagus patches and A Squadron smokers with a rousing chorus of the Panzerleid. That was a battlegroup that could have led a counter stroke. They were brigaded with the Irish Guards who operated to a more ponderous pace. One briefing included the memorable phrase "We are going to carry out a counter stroke in sixteen phases."
Oh, hello.
I knew them all. And I witnessed the notorious asparagus incident. Reggie went round the outside of the field…. But the fix was in.

Londo

LE
Forgive my (possibly unforgivable) heresy, but if WP had attacked, most of BAOR would have binned That Rifle and converted to the God of Kalash as soon as there were enough dead Russians to loot.
But would any remaining Soviets be picking up and using 'That Rifle' ?

We were gathered together and informed. We all cheered. We were informed there was no plan to replenish us. We cheered louder. What better way to use Boneheads.
The motto is a bit of a giveaway. If you’re looking for a quiet life , there’s plenty of sensible careers away from the armed forces.
C'est magnifique, ce n'est pas la guerre...

Oh Shit, I forgot to mention, I'm an ex armoured farmer and being west cundry we speak a bit funny, moit even spell a bit funny (spot the obvious mistakes, and no it is not 'Oh Shit'). Or are you now going to pick me up for that as well oh wise one.
We could dance all night if you like. As a self proclaimed Grammar Nazi (English) was the only thing I was any good at in school; it just wound me up a lot when I saw the poor use of grammar in the thread title.

Then you had to go and make things worse by calling somebody a cnut for picking you up on it.

So see if you can amend the title, then we can move on with what was
is potentially a good thread based on the input so far...;)

But would any remaining Soviets be picking up and using 'That Rifle' ?
Absolutely, to crowbar open locked bierkeller doors and any place where German women might be hiding.

Absolutely, to crowbar open locked bierkeller doors and any place where German women might be hiding.
Need the BFA on it for that, and for opening tins of cheese possessed...

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
We could dance all night if you like. As a self proclaimed Grammar Nazi (English) was the only thing I was any good at in school; it just wound me up a lot when I saw the poor use of grammar in the thread title.

Then you had to go and make things worse by calling somebody a cnut for picking you up on it.

So see if you can amend the title, then we can move on with what was
is potentially a good thread based on the input so far...;)
No Oppo,

My crap English is what it is, I can't dance (even when bat faced) so that's a none starter, as for the cnut bit, guilty as charged, (I was a sensitive baby........)
So please, forgive my shite grammer. but yep, I thought it was/is a interesting post, have had some good posts and I have enjoyed them.

(and you can serve for a long time if you know how, without going full on Rodney)

Along with QRIH/14/20H with 1Gren Gds as the infantry component, as 4 Armd Bde it all came to a head on Ex Certain Strike in 1987, much better attacking rather than digging in and defending.

Latest Threads