Could we have stopped the bear?

I did my AA Weapons Course when I was posted to the UOTC in 1990 - in those days you had to take your personnel weapon with you.
At that time, UOTC’s were one of the few units awaiting issue of the SA80 and I was the only student on the course with an SLR.
On day one, I was torn between pride and embarrassment at my huge erection!

Fixed.
No need to blush.

Typo fixed.

Beer breath and gabbions of stained mattresses?

Those were just two of the weapons in our arsenal, it was That Rifle, that and the steely eyed dealers in death who carried it that put the fear of death into the Warsaw Pact. The Soviets knew it had to be them who would have to try and overrun us because the rest of the Warsaw Pact troops were bricking it at the thought of facing That Rifle.

Last edited:
There is one on a plinth, under a Perspex box, in the National Army Museum.
Like a Holy Relic it is. And rightly so.
Which may well be the one in the picture I posted, given the reflection behind and the information card on the RHS, completely agree in the due deference that should be shown to such an object.

Someone’s clearly tired and a bit of a Cnut, want a hug? Now off to bed with you, way past your nap time I am sure.
How long have you been in son? Don't look at your watch...

Oh my beautiful girl, brings tears to my eyes (or scars as being a remf we only had ironsights) that lovely smell on Ash ranges early doors. I think I have just had some sex wee appear..............
Altcar Ranges January 1973. Two foot of snow and a piece of 4x2 soaked in spit shoved into your ears to muffle the bang ring bang. Can't hear the bang any more but still get the ringing...

SLR 7.62 I could hit a figure 12 from 800 yards with it. Won the 'Pool Bull' at Bisley twice. Beautiful bit of kit.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Like a Holy Relic hey?

So relating largely to a myth then?
Heresy!!
Unlike babble about Gods and Demon’s I have personally made many a brew using the BV. And added sacred Asbach for extra bliss in the deep midwinter .
Yeah verily, for my name was Ozymandias, Brew bitch of a loader - look up my work ye mighty and sigh contentedly.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Which may well be the one in the picture I posted, given the reflection behind and the information card on the RHS, completely agree in the due deference that should be shown to such an object.
Erk, so it is.
In my defence intelligence and common sense are sometimes distant relatives.
I got carried away with excitement at seeing the BV.
I should have been a driver.

Heresy!!
Unlike babble about Gods and Demon’s I have personally made many a brew using the BV. And added sacred Asbach for extra bliss in the deep midwinter .
Yeah verily, for my name was Ozymandias, Brew bitch of a loader - look up my work ye mighty and sigh contentedly.
Oh ye of the Asbach faith are blessed with the aroma of Uralt and ye shall inherit the earth...or the BV, now that I know what it is.

Yea it's Friday and we know what that means...

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi @gaijin I may have already mentioned it to you , but here's the link .
I'm re-reading it at the moment (or at least of an evening)
I think last time I just read the chapters concerning the UK
This time reading the whole story and finding it a very good read indeed .
Nah - therse are just a rip off of the General and Speical instructions from any number of Bovington BBGTs. Who hasn't heard of the Fantasian invasion of Hampshire?

Those were just two of the weapons in our arsenal, it was That Rifle, that and the steely eyed dealers in death who carried it that put the fear of death into the Warsaw Pact. The Soviets knew it had to be them who would have to try and overrun us because the rest of the Warsaw Pact troops were bricking it at the thought of facing That Rifle.

Forgive my (possibly unforgivable) heresy, but if WP had attacked, most of BAOR would have binned That Rifle and converted to the God of Kalash as soon as there were enough dead Russians to loot.

Forgive my (possibly unforgivable) heresy, but if WP had attacked, most of BAOR would have binned That Rifle and converted to the God of Kalash as soon as there were enough dead Russians to loot.

Silly boy! The Gods of whatever, they give...That Rifle takes away.

they would probably have exchanged the AK 47/T-55/T-72 etc for smokes/beer/spirits/cars/jeans/women of negotiable affection long before they even got out of West Berlin. The assault would have ground to a halt as soon as the first row of shops was reached.

Latest Threads