Could we have stopped the bear?

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Hi all,

have been having a bit of a Cold War nostalgia trip the past few months. Joined late 80’s so saw the last 4 or 5 years of the so called Cold War and have just finished re reading Harold Coyles Team Yankee and Ten Thousand, also Ralph Peters Red Army. These got me thinking, we were always told that we aimed to stop the red hoard, well 3rd Shock army by the time they got to the Weser river. We were also told by the high ups that we would work off TKB or Troop Kills Battalion, so one of our Chally 1 Troops of 3 Panzers was supposed to mallet a Battalion (21 tanks) of T64s or T72s before we were allowed to get slotted.
Al this seems moot now, but could we of done it? Would love to hear from other arrsers who were part of 1 BR Corps and see what you lot think.

Fear Naught

Hi all,

have been having a bit of a Cold War nostalgia trip the past few months. Joined late 80’s so saw the last 4 or 5 years of the so called Cold War and have just finished re reading Harold Coyles Team Yankee and Ten Thousand, also Ralph Peters Red Army. These got me thinking, we were always told that we aimed to stop the red hoard, well 3rd Shock army by the time they got to the Weser river. We were also told by the high ups that we would work off TKB or Troop Kills Battalion, so one of our Chally 1 Troops of 3 Panzers was supposed to mallet a Battalion (21 tanks) of T64s or T72s before we were allowed to get slotted.
Al this seems moot now, but could we of done it? Would love to hear from other arrsers who were part of 1 BR Corps and see what you lot think.

Fear Naught

Irregardless ( ;) ) of @devexwarrior’s post, I think the answer is “no”. What makes me think this is there would have been no thoughts of procuring AH-64 or Chally 2 if 3x Chally 1s could have dispensed with a regiment of T-64/72.

Don't know but apparently the hand over of the cossacks to the Soviets was to ensure that around 8k of British POWS "liberated" by the Soviets were returned and an Attlee didnt have as much of a spine as Churchill to stand up to Stalin.

Apperantly a number were unaccounted for and ended up in the Gulag system.

We'd have stopped the 3rd shock army in it's tracks and they wouldn't have known what hit them.

L1A1.JPG

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Could we HAVE stopped The Bear?

Gratis

Now, f_uck off!
Someone’s clearly tired and a bit of a Cnut, want a hug? Now off to bed with you, way past your nap time I am sure.

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Irregardless ( ;) ) of @devexwarrior’s post, I think the answer is “no”. What makes me think this is there would have been no thoughts of procuring AH-64 or Chally 2 if 3x Chally 1s could have dispensed with a regiment of T-64/72.
We worked off a Troop was supposed to stop roughly a Soviet Tank battalion, was just curious as to what others take on it was.

Well with ‘that rifle’ for sure

Dead right mate, imagine trying to stop them with a rifle that shoots a varmint round like they use now. Hell they'd be on the banks of the Rhine by lunch time of the same day they kicked off.

We worked off a Troop was supposed to stop roughly a Soviet Tank battalion, was just curious as to what others take on it was.
My take is I'd want three pairs of amplivox and a bigger entrenching tool.

Hi all,

Fear Naught

Conjugate the verb 'to of'...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well known fact, no bv, no war.
That's why there were fittings for two BVs on the door of the 432: built-in redundancy innit?

That's why there were fittings for two BVs on the door of the 432: built-in redundancy innit?

My bold.

You are familiar with the critical nuance of “fitted for” as opposed to “fitted with”?

Chieftain was “fitted for” all sorts of clobber that was never seen and I’m willing to bet your average Bonk was fitted for 2 BVs but fitted with 1.

And somebody from another Platoon will have coiled one down into it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads