Could the TA..................

Employer Support - Probably
Public Support - Probabaly
Good PR - Probably
Time to reveal the Emergency Role 2 (NC) Sig Bde has - probably

Mass resignations when TA used for strike-breaking - priceless.

I thought this had happened already. Maybe its just an urban legend, but the story goes that a few TA blokes were mobilised (for a short period only) for Op Fresco.

What was their civvy job?

Firemen!

In my opinion yes they would have as the regs are so overstretched were else will they find the manpower.

Computer says no.

Minutes of the House of Commons Defence Select Committee said:
Could we turn to the question of reserve forces? Can you tell us whether there are obstacles such as statutory or indeed military regulations which currently prevent the reserves from being used more widely in the homeland defence role? Are there any?

(Mr Mann) No, I do not think so. We would need to look at that a little more carefully than that rather straight answer, in terms of the roles those reserve forces would be undertaking and the way in which they would be asked to undertake their duty. Would this be compulsory mobilisation, would this be voluntary activity, reporting for duty and being placed at the disposal of the civil authorities? In the work that we have done we have found no legal impediment to using them in the ways in which we are thinking of doing.

(Brigadier Houghton) There is no statutory impediment to the employment of reservists, TA particularly, on this, but as a matter of current policy, Territorial Army and reservists are not employed on what we call MACP tasks, that is military aid to the civil power. Also there are some aspects of MAGD, that is Military Aid to other Government Departments, on which, again by policy, we do not employ them. We are very happy to use the TA on something such as foot-and-mouth and assisting the civil authority with managing that sort of crisis. On those things which are to do with the maintenance of essential services, such as fire service, ambulance service, as a matter of policy we would not involve the Territorial Army or have not done because of the potential allegations of strike breaking and the invidious position this could leave some members of the TA in.

The TA mobilse already. Others volunteer to mobilse.

Altho i do get your point of a mass mobilisation.

I can't really see some of the pie-eaters i know donning their green in a hurry ;)

Do the CCRF commitments vary from region to region?

I can only ever seem to find infor on the North east.

The thing being it's about pensions this time.
Bit of a "Hot Spud" with Bliar at the mo.
Perhaps some more public support this time.
Who knows????

tearsbeforebedtime said:
Bit rich the TA covering for the fire sevice to get a better pension while the TA get none at all.

Very true. !!!

Wouldn't it be funny if the NHS went on strike! Regs and TA medical called up to give some first aid cover/

Imagine it, squaddies driving around in green ambulances, arriving at the scene of a road traffic accident... and then getting their BCDT books out.

"Step one.... Is the patient breathing?

Yes, go to page 4." ... etc etc

Dr_Evil said:
Computer says no.

Minutes of the House of Commons Defence Select Committee said:
Could we turn to the question of reserve forces? Can you tell us whether there are obstacles such as statutory or indeed military regulations which currently prevent the reserves from being used more widely in the homeland defence role? Are there any?

(Mr Mann) No, I do not think so. We would need to look at that a little more carefully than that rather straight answer, in terms of the roles those reserve forces would be undertaking and the way in which they would be asked to undertake their duty. Would this be compulsory mobilisation, would this be voluntary activity, reporting for duty and being placed at the disposal of the civil authorities? In the work that we have done we have found no legal impediment to using them in the ways in which we are thinking of doing.

(Brigadier Houghton) There is no statutory impediment to the employment of reservists, TA particularly, on this, but as a matter of current policy, Territorial Army and reservists are not employed on what we call MACP tasks, that is military aid to the civil power. Also there are some aspects of MAGD, that is Military Aid to other Government Departments, on which, again by policy, we do not employ them. We are very happy to use the TA on something such as foot-and-mouth and assisting the civil authority with managing that sort of crisis. On those things which are to do with the maintenance of essential services, such as fire service, ambulance service, as a matter of policy we would not involve the Territorial Army or have not done because of the potential allegations of strike breaking and the invidious position this could leave some members of the TA in.
Dr Evil,

This is four years old. You can't trust anything this government says from last week...

Looks like if bird flu hit we'd be called out.

msr

Good point actually- If bird flu hit could we be mobilised for the bird culls? and would it only be CCRF troops taking part?

Latest Threads