• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Could the Recession lead to an increase in Terrorism?

#1
The economic down turn has already made news with the increase in petty crime. Is it likely that we will see upsurge in terrorist activity as jobs, opportunity and so forth dry up. This leading too many young and old disaffected men joining organisations like the IRA/Radical islamists and so forth.

So for we have the recent bomb found in N’Ireland but is this an isolated event by a few renegades or is it possible that more people are losing jobs etc and turning to this activity?
 
#2
Instinct, I've edited your opener to reflect the potential problem being global. I think it is a jolly good question.

Could the recession lead to an increase in terrorism globally? Personally, I think we're in line for a war somewhere, which traditionally seems to be where deep recessions end :(
 
#3
With this in mind

It is worth noting that a position has been recently put forward for everyone to only have two kids.

The Times

I have said this for a little while, mainly in response to chavettes sh1tting out more kids than the people int he country who actually work.

Whilst many are condeming the proposers positionon such things as abortion and what not some useful nuggets of info.

By 2050 it is beleived that on current birth rates, the world will have a populationof nearly 10 billion.

By 2028, Britain will have a population over 70 million.

For these massive megapopulations we will require many resources, not to mention space.....

Can UK support 70,000,000 people? Or will this population run out of control and turn on itself?

Can the planet support 10 billion or are we in line for the worst pandemic and/or war in history?

Another usefull snippet of information is that chav families ie those that don't work, are producing MORE kids and at an earlier point in their lives than those who do.

Essentially meaning the productive population will soon be overrun by (what would be in natures terms) parasites.
 
#4
I think that the extremes of the left and the right will start kicking off shortly as its all the fault of the bloody foriegners/capitalist factory owners that we are in a recession, not sure if it will escalate into terrorism or just your average groups of thugs kicking off at the slightest reason.
Ultra Islamists (unlike the IRA) are not in it for the money, blowing yourself up doesn't help your profit margins so I can't see either an increase or decrease in their activities regardless of the financial situation.
 
#6
HorsesBreath said:
"Radical Islamism" Isn't a political project (Islamism) designed to convert the whole world to Islam not radical in itself?
Which has c*ck all to do with the question. Wasn't your last account suspended?
 
#7
chocolate_frog said:
With this in mind

It is worth noting that a position has been recently put forward for everyone to only have two kids.

The Times

I have said this for a little while, mainly in response to chavettes sh1tting out more kids than the people int he country who actually work.

Whilst many are condeming the proposers positionon such things as abortion and what not some useful nuggets of info.

By 2050 it is beleived that on current birth rates, the world will have a populationof nearly 10 billion.

By 2028, Britain will have a population over 70 million.

For these massive megapopulations we will require many resources, not to mention space.....

Can UK support 70,000,000 people? Or will this population run out of control and turn on itself?

Can the planet support 10 billion or are we in line for the worst pandemic and/or war in history?

Another usefull snippet of information is that chav families ie those that don't work, are producing MORE kids and at an earlier point in their lives than those who do.

Essentially meaning the productive population will soon be overrun by (what would be in natures terms) parasites.
Something along the lines of China's one child policy? Demographic issues, i.e. females being aborted/killed leading to a disproportionate number of boys to girls, aside, this policy has worked to reduce the Chinese population. Only problem I can see with the idea of bringing it over here is that the laws regarding gender selection (currently ruled out) would possibly have to be relaxed.

Back to the original question though:

I did find an interesting article about the recession being good for the BNP, and this quote:

The government, meanwhile, is worried that an economic downturn would result in increased racial tension and violence between communities and even terrorism. In a 12-page internal memo, leaked to the Conservatives two months ago, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith relayed her concern over the consequences of an economic crisis. “There is a risk of a downturn increasing the appeal of far-right extremism and racism, which presents a threat as there is evidence that grievances based on experiencing racism are one of the factors that can lead to people becoming terrorists.”
And this from the Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4649056.ece

Ministers are bracing themselves for a rise in violent crime and burglaries and a shift to far-right extremism as the effects of the economic downturn take their toll, a leaked Home Office report to the Prime Minister says.

In a series of warnings, the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, says that Britain also faces a “significant increase” in alcohol and tobacco smuggling, hostility towards migrants and even a potential rise in the number of people joining terrorist groups.
So potentially not just a few isolated incidents...
 
#8
kes1 said:
Something along the lines of China's one child policy? Demographic issues, i.e. females being aborted/killed leading to a disproportionate number of boys to girls, aside, this policy has worked to reduce the Chinese population. Only problem I can see with the idea of bringing it over here is that the laws regarding gender selection (currently ruled out) would possibly have to be relaxed.
Without going to far down the road, I wouldn't copy Chinas approach. One child per family is what we would have to bring in if we don't start looking at the problem early enough. Nor do I agree with withholding medicine in order to thin out the population.

I would like to see enhanced help (ie tax breaks etc) to those with two children (as mentioned before twins inthe second birth or triplets in the first birth (for example) would be aided regardless. With no extra help or possibley lowered help to those who have more than two kids.

Regards infanticide (particularly female) the reasons for this practice are wide and diverse. However in most cases this revolves around the care of the elderly. The female leaves her family to look after her husbands family. Thus it is a sort of retirement package.

Seeing as in UK we mainly pack the old away in homes or forget about them, this shouldn't have too much influence on things.
 
#9
stacker1 said:
I think that the extremes of the left and the right will start kicking off shortly as its all the fault of the bloody foriegners/capitalist factory owners that we are in a recession, not sure if it will escalate into terrorism or just your average groups of thugs kicking off at the slightest reason.
Could well be both. People who suddenly loose their jobs get frustrated over time. Everybody deals differently with this frustration. If what I'm reading in the papers is correct, we're experiencing one of the biggest - if not the biggest - economic crisis ever.

And people aren't just blaiming the current and previous governements' policies - but are in fact issueing online death threats. "Brown/Blair must hang for this", "Lefties must die", etc. Personnally I'm a bit worried about this personification of our current global problems. Our personal situation may be very difficult to solve, but what apparently caused it suddenly has a name and a face. It ceased to be a macro-economic mess up.

It could lead to average groups kicking off. Yet, I wouldn't be surprised if a new group emerged who'll seduce people into believing they have something worth getting up for in the morning.
 
#10
stacker1 said:
I think that the extremes of the left and the right will start kicking off shortly as its all the fault of the bloody foriegners/capitalist factory owners that we are in a recession, not sure if it will escalate into terrorism or just your average groups of thugs kicking off at the slightest reason.
Ultra Islamists (unlike the IRA) are not in it for the money, blowing yourself up doesn't help your profit margins so I can't see either an increase or decrease in their activities regardless of the financial situation.
I see your point Stacker, but how long did it take this country to go from 'Shining beacon of democracy' to near anarchy during the Petrol strike?
 
#11
chocolate_frog said:
I would like to see enhanced help (ie tax breaks etc) to those with two children (as mentioned before twins inthe second birth or triplets in the first birth (for example) would be aided regardless. With no extra help or possibley lowered help to those who have more than two kids.
Or quite simply, the Government needs to stop handing out money so readily.
 
#12
PartTimePongo said:
stacker1 said:
I think that the extremes of the left and the right will start kicking off shortly as its all the fault of the bloody foriegners/capitalist factory owners that we are in a recession, not sure if it will escalate into terrorism or just your average groups of thugs kicking off at the slightest reason.
Ultra Islamists (unlike the IRA) are not in it for the money, blowing yourself up doesn't help your profit margins so I can't see either an increase or decrease in their activities regardless of the financial situation.
I see your point Stacker, but how long did it take this country to go from 'Shining beacon of democracy' to near anarchy during the Petrol strike?

Pfft.

I don't think that you fully understand the meaning of anarchy.
 
#13
I think criminal activity and public demonstrations will increase but not terrorism. I can't see that there is anything for a terrorist group to achieve during the early stages of this recession.
 
#14
Oh I think I do. Hence the use of "Shining beacon of democracy" . When white middle class housewives are prepared to have punchups in Petrol stations or supermarkets over Milk , when people who wouldn't normally get overly agitiated start getting militant, then we're on our way to a near anarchic state of being.

It took surprisingly little for people to get very angry once the Petrol stopped flowing.
 
#15
.Sven said:
I think criminal activity and public demonstrations will increase but not terrorism. I can't see that there is anything for a terrorist group to achieve during the early stages of this recession.
An opportunity to create yet more problems, chaos, fear, etc....?
 

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
PartTimePongo said:
Oh I think I do. Hence the use of "Shining beacon of democracy" . When white middle class housewives are prepared to have punchups in Petrol stations or supermarkets over Milk , when people who wouldn't normally get overly agitiated start getting militant, then we're on our way to a near anarchic state of being.

It took surprisingly little for people to get very angry once the Petrol stopped flowing.
Can't remember who said this... "Civilisation is only two meals from barbarism." Who ever it was that said it, I think they were an overly optimistic fcuker...
 
#17
I'm a great believer in mother nature sorting things out. A pandemic/plague of some sort. As for Jackboots Smith's usual bit about the far right rising on the cuff of the situation, I'm more worried about the far left.
 
#18
The extreme Left have far better C3 than the extreme Right. Whether that propensity to have a riot anywhere Capitalism concentrates , Davos etc manifests itself as terrorism , Red Brigades or RAF style , remains to be seen.

One of the dangers here, is the perceived gulf between the haves and have nots. That I feel, is a potential spark if we enter a deeper recession/depression.
 
#19
Violence and terrorism could easily overflow.

Haves and have nots? What if the haves are an easily identified group? ie Immigrant workers?

At the same time wat if the "have nots but get massive amounts of cash from the government" are similarly identified?

It isn´t that much of a leap to think that middle class will turn violent against those living very well on the dole, whilst they´re own family suffers.

As mentioned above, both world wars began after-during periods of economic depression.

On the subject of which, haven´t we just found a 18 bn barrels worth of oil (possibly) under the Falklands?

Same old argeument from above, resources. What if someone rather fancies that resource?
 
#20
PartTimePongo said:
stacker1 said:
I think that the extremes of the left and the right will start kicking off shortly as its all the fault of the bloody foriegners/capitalist factory owners that we are in a recession, not sure if it will escalate into terrorism or just your average groups of thugs kicking off at the slightest reason.
Ultra Islamists (unlike the IRA) are not in it for the money, blowing yourself up doesn't help your profit margins so I can't see either an increase or decrease in their activities regardless of the financial situation.
I see your point Stacker, but how long did it take this country to go from 'Shining beacon of democracy' to near anarchy during the Petrol strike?
I really think that there was only trouble because we were so unused to it. We tend to adapt quite fast. Look what happens when their are fire strikes or rail strikes its a pain in the arse at first but people get use to it.

I think one of the problems the left is facing at the moment is the lose of jobs to foreign work forces (like the refinery), it must be hard for left wing unions to protest against it when that is normally the ground for the right-wing.

I don't know what terrorists will be effected by the recession, they seem to already have enough recruits and the main motivation isn't money, it might even work in our favour as more people grass them up for financial rewards.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top