Could the GPMG be improved?

Bollocks, that's me told... :) Should have spent more time with the Guns Pl, and less playing with the Bn hide and seek team.

Having counted "Mount, Sight" and "Magazine, GPMG" for two years as the duty subaltern, I decided I was damn well going to see whether it worked. And to try and assess one of our sections on a night OP occupation exercise (as I tabbed around to the front of their position to try and observe their occupying and constructing their OP), I signed out GPMG, 50-rd mag, and IWS - so that I could spend an evening finding out for myself how awkward it was. To the gentle giggling of the Platoon Sergeant. Why yes, I was carrying a bergen as well, why do you ask? [*]

Hey, sometimes you have to learn the hard way... didn't do that again in a hurry. But then, I also learned that I was going to think hard before I expected anyone else to do it...

[*] Yes, I was a f***ing idiot, I think I've already proven that...
Your trusty Sjt would never have muttered ewe fecking ijidit surr in that couthy Scots burr....

Anyway back to the gun, that joy of cleaning daily ensuring it won’t let you down ever....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Your trusty Sjt would never have muttered ewe fecking ijidit surr in that couthy Scots burr....

Anyway back to the gun, that joy of cleaning daily ensuring it won’t let you down ever....
Sometimes, best to let the junior louey find out the hard way. Makes them more them more attuned to the senior NCO saying "you sure sir ?" In that "you plonker" tone.

Cleaning the gun? Yes. Jenolite, boiling water, scotchbrite, bronze brush, hoppes .303, belt sander, alien xenomorph blood....
..shiny chrome the gas working parts ffs so the cleaning kit they give you has half a chance. All it needs is 15 minutes, yeah, right.

Put a remote trigger and periscope on it ! =)

Sometimes, best to let the junior louey find out the hard way.
Oh, I knew it was going to be hard. I just wanted to find out for myself whether it was "hard but fundamentally achievable" or "hard enough that the gunner is f***-all use as a gunner". As for cleaning it? I spent a couple of years in the unit shooting team before I was commissioned, including being one of the LMG pair (granted, L4 rather than L7), so I was was reasonably well practised...

I spent chunks of both RMAS and PCD surgically attached to the GPMG, perhaps because they were picking on everyone else for command appointments; and the exercise finale on the Close Recce course saw me carrying bergen, PRC320, rifle, and formerly-pintle-mounted GPMG away from our notionally-burning Landrovers (we had two GMPG, a PRC320, and a PRC352 for a four-man patrol; it took most of the first mile of two for the student commander to realise that he was underburdened by comparison)

Was the question could the current issue GPMG be improved ie modified or should the concept of a GPMG be kept and another more modern weapon be issued ?

Small arms development seems to have reached a peak where every new product is only a variation of others ?

Last edited:
Oh, I knew it was going to be hard. I just wanted to find out for myself whether it was "hard but fundamentally achievable" or "hard enough that the gunner is f***-all use as a gunner". As for cleaning it? I spent a couple of years in the unit shooting team before I was commissioned, including being one of the LMG pair (granted, L4 rather than L7), so I was was reasonably well practised...

I spent chunks of both RMAS and PCD surgically attached to the GPMG, perhaps because they were picking on everyone else for command appointments; and the exercise finale on the Close Recce course saw me carrying bergen, PRC320, rifle, and formerly-pintle-mounted GPMG away from our notionally-burning Landrovers (we had two GMPG, a PRC320, and a PRC352 for a four-man patrol; it took most of the first mile of two for the student commander to realise that he was underburdened by comparison)
Had a similar situation where the FFR and accompanying GS got "ambushed". Vehicles hit and u/s DS shouts.
So out comes imaginary red phos grenade into back of FFR and OS plus crew leg it away dodging copious amounts of blank.
Bergan's ? In the back of the "burning" vehicles, fekkem.
DS bollocked me for leaving bergans behind. My point that grabbing them would have slowed us down in trying to gtfo went unheard. So back we went to get them for the real point which was to end ex with a CFT.

Was question was could the current issue GPMG be improved ie modified or should the concept of a GPMG be kept and another more modern weapon be issued ?

Small arms development seems to have reached a peak where every new product is only a variation of others ?
There are only so many way's you can make a bullet thrower and to be honest if over the last 15 years of activity no smart cnut has come up with an idea then there is probably no idea to be come up with.

Physics is the problem, there need's to be a jump in the understanding and application of physic's which can be applied to weapon design. And, that is not happening anytime soon. I read an article last week saying that physicist's around the planet were stagnating as they have not moved on research in any new ways and are basically crossing the t's and dotting the i's on old research.

I read an article last week saying that physicist's around the planet were stagnating as they have not moved on research in any new ways and are basically crossing the t's and dotting the i's on old research.
Linky? It’s an interesting concept that we have discovered all there is to be discovered and we have reached the end of science. Perhaps it’s more a case of the brightest brains on the planet are working on something other than the GPMG.

Linky? It’s an interesting concept that we have discovered all there is to be discovered and we have reached the end of science. Perhaps it’s more a case of the brightest brains on the planet are working on something other than the GPMG.
Looking. It was one of those articles that pop's up on google.

TBH I doubt we have discovered everything there is to know as many of the theories only appear as words on paper and have never been practically tested. Theoretical physicist's; "there we go here's my idea, I've done my job now you go and try to [dis]prove it".

One of the points made in the article was that there seem's to be stagnation with much re-writing and churning of old already much written about theories rather than risking reputations dealing with newer stuff. Another point was that much of the top end physics community is grumbling about needing an even bigger Hadron Collider to do bigger, or smaller, experiments so that presently stagnating theories may be attacked.

I too doubt if the biggest thing on Sheldon Cooper like individuals minds is how to improve the GPMG, I would like to think they are at least giving a nod to the "Phased plasma 40W Range" problem.

I shall carry on looking for the article, all I have found so far is that the Victorians thought they had reached the end of science.

I'm no expert in the field, but if we could make it look a bit more like this...

...it certainly would be more aesthetically pleasing!
I do recall the Brazilians hd toyed around sleeving 'The rifle's barrel to 5,56 and modifying the mag well, making a fairly heavy heavy rifle but on the up-side it didn't have much recoil at all --- so what do you want, accurate or lightweight.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But could we improve it?
Tastier carbon.
Flexible gas ports.
Gender-neutral rifling.
Auto-kill selector setting.
Laser-guided top-cover.
Emptier holes.
More fighty.
Strap-on cocking handle.
Trigger-warned trigger.
Louder, smoother clicks.
Basil Brush barrel brush.
Load-balanced colour scheme.
Top score for carbon scoring.
Non-absorbent pullthrough.
Chicken, beef and FTSE 100 stock options.
Network-enabled link.
Lighter, jazzier grooves.
J2-led foresight.
Better bits.
Smart screws.
3 leg bipod.
Non-denominational firing pin.

...and that's just off the top of my head.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Tastier carbon.
Flexible gas ports.
Gender-neutral rifling.
Auto-kill selector setting.
Laser-guided top-cover.
Emptier holes.
More fighty.
Strap-on cocking handle.
Trigger-warned trigger.
Louder, smoother clicks.
Basil Brush barrel brush.
Load-balanced colour scheme.
Top score for carbon scoring.
Non-absorbent pullthrough.
Chicken, beef and FTSE 100 stock options.
Network-enabled link.
Lighter, jazzier grooves.
J2-led foresight.
Better bits.
Smart screws.
3 leg bipod.
Non-denominational firing pin.

...and that's just off the top of my head.
Was today a "bring booze to work day" ?

There are only so many way's you can make a bullet thrower and to be honest if over the last 15 years of activity no smart cnut has come up with an idea then there is probably no idea to be come up with.

Physics is the problem, there need's to be a jump in the understanding and application of physic's which can be applied to weapon design. And, that is not happening anytime soon. I read an article last week saying that physicist's around the planet were stagnating as they have not moved on research in any new ways and are basically crossing the t's and dotting the i's on old research.
As I have said before... ye old M60E4 spec is about as good as it gets. Made the Pig a bit more balanced and un-pig-like, and lower weight. Lost a bit of range with the shorter barrel, but accuracy at range is never going to be it's purpose. I'd really like to get my mitts on some of the newer titanium core to see how that runs with mine.