Could the GPMG be improved?

Plenty of scope for updating the GPMG with lighter modern materials and even adding one of Dr John Matthews fine Surefire suppressors. They use them on belt fed .50 cal's, so why not a belt fed 7.62mm.

Plenty of scope for updating the GPMG with lighter modern materials and even adding one of Dr John Matthews fine Surefire suppressors. They use them on belt fed .50 cal's, so why not a belt fed 7.62mm.
An entire USMC bn 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines has been using all small arms from M4 to M2HB suppressed in tests since 2016

The lighter it is the harder it will be to shoot, you need a solid lump of gun to soak up full auto 762.

Making it too light will give you a beating with the recoil and less controllable.
Not True there are designs that lessen felt recoil. Ultimax 100 constant recoil system by L James Sullivan

An entire USMC bn 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines has been using all small arms from M4 to M2HB suppressed in tests since 2016
Always knew I was ahead of my time. In '96 I was on my artificer weapons course, and for the technical project I put forward designing and building a crew removable suppressor for GPMG. I was told to not be so silly, what would be the point of that? Instead I ended up contributing to the design of a heavily armed chicken coop (M3M / Lynx ground training mount )

Last edited:
He was talking about the design.

But look at Knight's Armament for what can be done.
I know, but the 556 has minimal recoil to start with, if the Ultimax was in 762 it might not be so smooth, and belt feed would not help either.

Since the discussion was about a better GPMG

I'm not against the Ultimax , I fired one once and we probably should have adopted it. The Ultimax, AR18, and Stoner 63 were up for grabs and we could have invested in developing and adopted these excellent weapons if politics wasn't a factor.

I read somewhere that all the Stoner 63 parts, tooling and jigs were stored in Eugene Stoners lock up just waiting for a buyer, we could have had the entire system for a tiny fraction of the cost of the money wasted on the SA80. Knights armaments bought the lot I think ?

Thats not in 762 though, nor is it belt fed.
Because its impossible to adapt to the 7.62 or belt feed why?

Stoner 62 used the system and had a belt feed option and was 7.62

reminds me of those who said a gas operated gun could not be synchronized to fire through a propeller arc and there was the Marlin which was both

I know, but the 556 has minimal recoil to start with, if the Ultimax was in 762 it might not be so smooth, and belt feed would not help either.

Since the discussion was about a better GPMG

I'm not against the Ultimax , I fired one once and we probably should have adopted it. The Ultimax, AR18, and Stoner 63 were up for grabs and we could have invested in developing and adopted these excellent weapons if politics wasn't a factor.

I read somewhere that all the Stoner 63 parts, tooling and jigs were stored in Eugene Stoners lock up just waiting for a buyer, we could have had the entire system for a tiny fraction of the cost of the money wasted on the SA80. Knights armaments bought the lot I think ?