Could the GPMG be improved?

There's quite a few things:
Indirect fire grenade launcher,
Rifle grenade,
Missile,
Removable pistol incorporated in the pistol grip,
Manufactured from weight-saving plastic.

I believe there were trials in the 1960s but there were durability and range issues.

There's quite a few things:
Indirect fire grenade launcher,
Rifle grenade,
Missile,
Removable pistol incorporated in the pistol grip,
Manufactured from weight-saving plastic.

I believe there were trials in the 1960s but there were durability and range issues.

I tried to insert an Image of the Johnny 7 and failed miserably.

I don't know how yours are configured but a proper hand guard as mentioned above would be a God send!
That and maybe a box or collapsible magazine.
Having said that for the most part I only used them on a flex mount on an ASLAV turret so... same gun, very different application! (And only 3 gas settings)

Over here now the MAG58 as we call it has been virtually replaced at section level by the MAXIMI which is a 7.62 version of the FN MINIMI.
It is the parachutist version so has the collapsible stock and short barrel.

Lighter ammunition (cradles knees).

The only thing I can think is. The 7.62 traser round burns out before the potential flight distance of the round . Not sure if this would ever be an issue

Maybe a CCTV sighting system which, coupled with a fold-down butt plate, would allow the firer to operate in a head-down position. This could be further improved by an ability to record and underlay the view at last light to assist with target indication and aiming in darkness.

The Minimi was originally 7,62x51 for which there were not takers hence the change to 5,56. So perhaps the 5,56 gun should be the micromi. The original gun had an adjustable gas regulator unlike the current version.

FN Minimi - Wikipedia

The Minimi prototype was originally designed in 7.62×51mm NATO, and later redesigned for the 5.56 mm cartridge. When the USSOCOM issued the requirements for the Mk 48 Mod 0, the original plans for the Minimi were retrieved and used to develop this new model. As a result of favorable reviews of the Mk 48 Mod 0 and increasing demand for a more powerful variant of the Minimi, FN Herstal introduced the Minimi 7.62, available in several different configurations. Apart from the different caliber, the Minimi 7.62 incorporates a non-adjustable, self-regulating gas system and a hydraulic recoil buffer in the buttstock assembly. The Minimi 7.62 also has a different sight setup calibrated for the larger cartridge. The rear sight is adjustable from 100 to 1,000 m by 100 m increments. The sight can also be corrected for windage. A variant of the Minimi 7.62 equipped with a railed Picatinny handguard is the Minimi 7.62 TR.

Maybe a CCTV sighting system which, coupled with a fold-down butt plate, would allow the firer to operate in a head-down position. This could be further improved by an ability to record and underlay the view at last light to assist with target indication and aiming in darkness.
The HK one I mentioned had a Viper (I think) attached, slightly smaller than a CWS but thermal and was brilliant for seeing 'stuff' in the dark out to a considerable distance from the Sanger. IIRC it had a record function too, I'm sure someone will tell me what that was used for, other than a stray dog having a dump...

Are optics required on a 'beaten zone' weapon? The GPMG is not design to be accurate, it is designed to spread angry wasps in a cone out to 800m. Surely the only optics required would be in SF and MPF? Which it already has.

Some already have a rail on the top cover, which is great, depending on the length and/or position of sight mounted, I'm sure you can think of some issues this may present. This would have been 2013 on a HK built gun I was surprised to see, never knew they built them.
We have loads of HK GPMG's on board at the minute, and I have seen the Picatinny railed top covers a couple of times. I think there is a specific NSN for them but I'm not sure what it is.

Are optics required on a 'beaten zone' weapon? The GPMG is not design to be accurate, it is designed to spread angry wasps in a cone out to 800m.
Try firing it at a target 800m away. Through the issued iron sights. If it's a bit hazy, or the light's bad. Then ask yourself why the No.2 on the Gun used to carry binoculars... Now, take a group of average firers (say, the Divisional SAAM). Put them through the gun match, on a beautifully prepared range, where the target is as obvious and visible as possible, and watch how often they're able to put holes in a triple fig.11 at 600yds, by noting how often you see the flag waving to indicate "no hits scored from ten rounds fired", either there or at 500yds.

The GPMG with iron sights is really good at spreading angry wasps at 800m. What it isn't very good at, IMHO, is putting those angry wasps where they're needed. Now, if you put a nice x6 scope on it (say, the same as on the sharpshooter weapon) - and watch, because this is the hideously expensive part of any upgrade - invested in proper initial and continued training for all of its users....