Could the GPMG be improved?

Its been in service with HM Armed Forces since the 60s and AFAICT there are no plans to replace it.

I know the Cousins have tweaked the M240B; it comes with a barrel that doesn't require changing as much as ours; they don't have adjustable gas, so presumably they see value in what they've done. they are also looking to introduce a lighter version, no doubt made out of Unobtainium so prohibitively expensive for the Brits.

But could we improve it?

Or is it, from our PoV pretty much at its perfect iteration, and all that can be improved is the ammunition?

Properly set up, and not in shagged out condition, it works pretty good.
New, lighter, alloys for starters. Keeps the drills the same. Can't remember if it was hard chromed internally. Anything making it easier to clean a bonus.

4(T)

LE
IMHO it just needs a proper front handguard, so that it can be fired from shoulder/waist whether the bipod is folded or not.

I think a more interesting "improvement" project would have been to update the old L4 for the modern era - lighter materials, simplified components, plastic mags & furniture, optics, etc.

240B Uncle Sam lent me. Handrail for the 11Bs who don't believe you when you say its hot.

1560274428303.png

Dwarf

LE
The situation could certainly be improved, as said, by new materials and then giving me three or four of the cast offs.

I think a more interesting "improvement" project would have been to update the old L4 for the modern era - lighter materials, simplified components, plastic mags & furniture, optics, etc.
Ahhh, but would they do a different version for the left-handers?

(Has a mental image of someone trying to strap a SUSAT onto this new L4A3, and wondering why they can't see anything once the magazine is fitted)

Bring back the TADEN!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
optics for me.

Latest Threads