Could the Americans have just saved us?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Abdiel, Sep 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to this article the Pentagon is now putting pressure on the Treasury and MOD not to cut the Armed Forces as it would break the Relationship between Britain and America as Britain is one of the only remaining nations in NATO who like America furfills the obligation to spend at least 2% of it's GDP on defense.
    Could this be our salvation?

Defence cut threat to the special relationship - Telegraph
  2. Good news if it could save the Armed Forces from a few cuts.

Then again, we shouldn't stop cuts in order to fulfil our NATO obligations and the whole 'special relationship' shite. We should stop cuts in order for us to carry on enforcing our own independent foreign policy, not the USA's.

Basically, I don't like the USA sticking its nose in our buisness. On the other hand, I agree with the sentiment.
  3. Could have been cooked up by Cam and Clegg as an excuse to not cut Defence without their own Parties blaming them for it; ask the Yanks to play Bad Cop.

Whatever the reason, if it stops the Armed Forces being raped, it's a good result. But I'll believe it when I see it.
  4. Cynical maybe, but who knows.

Maybe the "special relationship" will pay dividends.

It would be about time!!
  5. Lend lease II or give us the same money they give to Pakistan! :)
  6. The Marshall plan (Obama Plan), would sit better 6.5 billon that wouldn't have to be repayed and that was 60 years ago.
  7. Could the Americans have just saved us?