Could Terrorists Spread Killer Virus?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE
    yeah ... right.

... rumour has it that NHS management are thinking of setting up a feasibility study as to whether it would be worth them delivering healthcare.

2. I recall that only a short while ago U.K. hospitals WERE a killer virus!

That aside, I'd be more concerned about the safety of the water supply and 'fresh' foodstuffs in supermarkets. IIRC the U.S. had a serious outbreak of poisoning from spinach earlier this year.

3. They've managed to reintroduce TB to this country.

4. You can thank the wet lettuce brigade for that. Everyone was saying that Indian Subcontinant people needed to be screened when they came into the country because they were bringing in TB but the message that came back was that it was an issue with poor social housing and that you couldn't aim the blame at a particular minority group for it because it was racist. Couple of years on and TB has a good foothold in this country again, they are setting up special units to try and tackle it and talking of screening people.

Anyone in the areas where the first few cases came to light could call what the problem was and what the solution had to be but, of course, you were being racist. What a ridiculous situation to allow PC sensibilities to cause a health risk. Too much pussyfooting about.

5. TB has always been around, its just only a few people per year get it now.

6. Going back to the original post.."Can Terrorists disseminate a virus"
    Thats obviously a yes! Its as easy as passing on a cold to someone.
    Can a terrorist get their hands on something that virulent? I doubt it very much.

7. I think you'll find that's not entirely true, JumpShip. Maybe an ARRSEr with the relevant expertise can put us right, but TB is on the increase, and it's resistant to drugs, now. It's highly contagious, and guaranteed to f*ck you up, pretty much. There's been a number of outbreaks recently, including one or two in schools, in Swansea, and Luton (I believe).

While it's been traditionally linked to poor living conditions, it would seem that it's now being imported into this country, and that the connection between TB and poverty in Britain (in the present day) is not quite what it seems - ie the primary sources of the disease are outside Britain, and it's being brought in. I read somewhere that the London boroughs of Tower Hamlets/Bethnal Green have TB rates comparable to Sao Paulo, largely because there is no screening of immigrants, legal or otherwise.

When I applied for a visa to live in America, I had to undergo a medical with a doctor chosen by the US Embassy, and have a chest x-ray (at my own expense, and rightly so). I doubt these sensible precautions feature as requirements for anyone coming to GB, even less so if they arrive underneath an HGV.

8. No, I was just commenting on the "they reintroduced" TB has always been around, having worked on a cardio thorastic ward for the best part of my post QA. I have seen many cases of TB, long term and also newly contracted.

I was just stating that it has always been around, and about 10 years ago their was about 100 new cases nation wide. where as now we are seeing 100 times more newly diagnosed then before.

9. Tower Hamlets and Newham, especially Newham, were where the "outbreak" was first reported I believe for TB. TB had been gotton hold of and controlled by the immunisation that all kids get at school etc. People travelling from the Indian Subcontinant have brought it back. The fact that these people lived in deprived areas of London (Tower Hamlets is the poorest Borough in the country) was coincidental.

10. seing as they can't even make a canister of gas explode i don't think we need to worry about them spreading deadly viruses

11. Absolutely, Crivelli. I worked in Newham almost 20 years ago, and the problem was known about then. I doubt much has been done about it since, as far as screening the carriers who bring it in goes. That would almost certainly be 'racist', ofcourse. Twenty years on, we can all pretend it's an indigenous problem.

12. Whilst it is true TB is being brought into the country, it is not true that it was erradicated by the immunisation programme, it was just as you said controlled in other words the number of cases was kept to an acceptable level. I remeber im my time in the service we had a sailor go down with TB in one of the submarines and a very rapid testing of people from that boat to ensure it did not spread. TB is always there just waiting for a chance to get a hold again and I would agree that testing of migrants may be a good idea, but are you suggesting that every one who goes abroad should be tested on return or just those whose colour fits. Many Europeans also visit India, do they need tested too.

13. There is a very real threat that smallpox and other such nasties could be used as a biological weapon from a terrorist organisation

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Bloody difficult, they would need serious lab and industrial capacity to be able to create enough of a bad enough bug - say anthrax - in sufficient qtys to cause a lot of damage.

They could cause a mass panic though and fairly easily - effective weapon? Doubt it.

15. Maxi - I'm not drawing a straight race link to TB - colour is not a determining issue, obviously, since it's also brought in by Eastern Europeans. Tower Hamlets, Bethnal Green, Newham, happen to have large, very large, non-white immigrant populations. Pretty much an enclave of the Third World, with the attendant health problems associated with those parts of the world.