Could Republican and Loyalist terrorism be contained, if Sinn Fein pushed for unification?

A few more superb troops than that at the time of Motorman I think and then there was the UDR ;-)
21'000 was the most deployed apparently at one time plus the UDR then 13'000 peelers on top.

Yeah at the height in 1972 there were 22,000 regular troops, but I was referring to the more stable figures in later years. How many UDR were there by 1994?

There wouldn't have been 13,000 cops in 1972, only about 3,500 if I am not wrong.

Yeah at the height in 1972 there were 22,000 regular troops, but I was referring to the more stable figures in later years. How many UDR were there by 1994?

There wouldn't have been 13,000 cops in 1972, only about 3,500 if I am not wrong.

4257 full time RUC and 2134 RUC reserve according to CAIN in 1972.

They claim over 30'000 British military at the height of the troubles.

4257 full time RUC and 2134 RUC reserve according to CAIN in 1972.

They claim over 30'000 British military at the height of the troubles.

Wow, as many peelers as that in 1972? When you think about it despite the dropping off in violence which saw the number of regular troops drop by almost half from its peak in 1972 the security forces numbers overall didn't decline as the Army was merely replaced by increased numbers of RUC and UDR/RIR. The Ulsterisation policy initiated as the violence eased didn't actually lead to a reduction in the number of boots on the ground.

No it wouldn't have. You'd have just created more hatred and hostility on both sides and probably led to full blown conflict between the two communities as they became further entrenched.
How could they have created even more hatred and hostility than there was already. You lot have been at it hammer and tongs since the Emancipation Act of 1829.

That is precisely what is required and pretty much what occurred in the south post 1922.
Don't mention the civil war. Its all about the heroric myth of 'Come out ye Black and Tans and fight me like a man'.

As you have correctly pointed out before. No unit called the 'Black and Tans' existed.

There was a famous hunting pack called the 'Black and Tans'. And a drink. Perhaps that was what they were singing about. Paddy was calling out the drinkers inside for a bit of a scrap.

How could they have created even more hatred and hostility than there was already. You lot have been at it hammer and tongs since the Emancipation Act of 1829.
The majority had no intention of going hammer and tongs at each other during the troubles.

There's many Loyalist volunteers I've heard off, who claimed a specific event, La Mon, Bloody Friday, Darkley, Kingsmill etc led them to swearing an oath and taking the war to the other community, something they wouldn't have been inclined to do, had them events not happened.

Republicans claim that Bloody Sunday swelled their ranks with volunteers.

I don't see how the conflict could've been handled any differently than it was, without causing tens of thousands of fatalities across the board.

Don't mention the civil war. Its all about the heroric myth of 'Come out ye Black and Tans and fight me like a man'.

As you have correctly pointed out before. No unit called the 'Black and Tans' existed.

There was a famous hunting pack called the 'Black and Tans'. And a drink. Perhaps that was what they were singing about. Paddy was calling out the drinkers inside for a bit of a scrap.
IMHO the most memorable piece came from O Flaherty, a two page short story called The Sniper. A story about the civil war that did not include any Black and Tans.

Latest Threads