Could it work?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm doing some research for a piece of work, and would be grateful for advice or opinions of all the learned and wise people on here!

My question is - hypothetically - would a military coup be succesful in this country?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
old_fat_and_hairy said:
My question is - hypothetically - would a military coup be succesful in this country?
Hello, did somebody just switch some extra lights on? Only it feels like this thread has just been... I dunno... illuminated?

Just PM me with a time, date, location and i'll be there. As long as i get to throw out some asylum seekers and fill in some chavs?

Ummmmm have we actually got the resources available to even think about it?

Why is there a shady looking fella in a dark suit stood watching me? He wasn't there a minute ago :pale:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I had thought it might stand a good chance. The Navy - or what's left of it - could take their rowboat up the Thames. The RA would have no shortage of good quality hotels in which to base their ops people, and the army could use the immigrant centres or homeless shelters to kip in.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
old_fat_and_hairy said:
I had thought it might stand a good chance. The Navy - or what's left of it - could take their rowboat up the Thames. The RA would have no shortage of good quality hotels in which to base their ops people, and the army could use the immigrant centres or homeless shelters to kip in.
They'd only surrender it to a passing Traffic Warden....

Pluvia_Plumbum said:
No - woldn't work as everyone is abroad at the moment preparing for operation Desert Storm III. :wink:
Fear not.

There are significant amounts of people willing to form a `peoples militia`.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Legs said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
They'd only surrender it to a passing Traffic Warden....
Maybe if we offered to replace their ipods they would resist?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
A military coup, in order to be one, has to be opposed . . . and quite frankly, who would?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Werewolf said:
Biped said:
A military coup, in order to be one, has to be opposed . . . and quite frankly, who would?
The Police?
Good point, but no contest. Anyway, most of the Police are as sick as we are of all the bullsh!t and regulations that have been introduced to hamper their work. I don't know too many commie coppers. :D

Not a hope. We're just not a revolutionary nation. We're pretty conservative (with a small "c") and tend to see the best in people and live and let live. We live in a country where Jordan and Peter Andre's choice of a name for their baby is on the 10 O'Clock news - it ranks higher than soldiers losing their lives for political reasons. It just goes to show how much political will there really is in our country.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The situation I had imagined - and bear in mind this is fiction - was that the country had a weak, ineffective and corrupt government, who had surrenderd on law and order, immigration, terrorism, health and education
The police had been suborned by political correctness, the military were run down and overcommitted and dpointless and draconian laws were being imposed, to the detriment of the general populace.
A charismatic leader, possibly an ex-soldier, galvanises a citizen party, and enlists the aid of senior members of the armed forces.

I realise this is pure fantasy, and the country could never sink to the depths that I describe, with the law-abiding populace under seige from the rogues and bandits.

Interesting idea, often discussed late into the night over a few dozen nightcaps.

I'm all for revolution, but the intrinsic problem we would face would be that of what next?

If you assume that the actual coup goes well, the insinuation of liberal tendencies throught the mechanics of the country's infrastructure would negate the original intention.

Chopping off the head (Prime Minister and Parliament) wouldn't instantly alter the fact that every level of underlying control down to the shop-floor is just as morally corrupt as they are.

I know that that's a very wide brush I'm painting with there, but if we hoofed everyone out like the septics did in Iraq without a proper sense of what happens next, well everyone knows.....

There is still a very real need for a representative legislative assembly - perhaps a better answer is to encourage election of right minded (note not neccessarily right wing) individuals?

Not as much fun though.

Someone once said that anyone actively seeking election should be instantly regarded as unsuitable for any position of responsibility. I feel that today's politicos are in the main in it for what they can get out rather than put in.

Where did your MP/Councillor live three weeks before his 'nomination'? Local feller, worked in the factory down the road for donkey's years? Or some pimply faced yoof from dahn saarf who The Party decided was the best man for the job? What has your MP/Councillor done recently? Voted with the whip at every instance, whenever he wasn't on a fact-finding tour of one-legged lesbian outreach programmes in Hawaii?

At least B'stard was an honest lying B'stard.

All power to the activists amongst us, Sven in particular. He had the balls to stand up and be counted. Unfortunately, the count went against him in this instance.

So, after all this rambling drivel: smash the system by all means, but remember to bring the appropriate replacement parts, eh?

Blimey, two rants in one day. I need a drink.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
PoisonDwarf said:
Not a hope. We're just not a revolutionary nation. We're pretty conservative (with a small "c") and tend to see the best in people and live and let live. We live in a country where Jordan and Peter Andre's choice of a name for their baby is on the 10 O'Clock news - it ranks higher than soldiers losing their lives for political reasons. It just goes to show how much political will there really is in our country.
I disagree with that. Remember Wat Tyler? Oliver Cromwell? And on a smaller scale but closer to modern times, the Poll-tax revolt? The petrol revolt?
We are by and large a tolerant and apathetic nation, but even rabbits attack when cornered. And I was talking of a military coup, by definition a coup ordered by disciplined, well-trained and active people.

It's just a thought.

Latest Threads