Could i do Phase 1 & 2 Training with a knee support?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by DaVeYStAfFoRd, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, i'm planning on joining the infantry, at the end of this month. I had asthma 4 years ago and i also dislocated my knee in ju-jitsu 3 years ago, it doesnt give me any problems but it get a wee bit sore now and again, would i be able doo phase 1 & 2 training with a knee support?

Thanks, and any information will be greatful!
  2. lol thanks
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I fear you are to be disappointed. Asthma and knee problems affect two pretty fundamental Infantry areas - running and marching - and are looked at pretty closely.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I think you need more of a head support.
  5. thanks for the info mate.
  6. If you look at the medical threads on this forumn there is a lad asking identical questions.
  7. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

You get enough grief wearing knee pads!
  8. But surely it would be noticed by a PTI?
  9. It all depends if the PTI has mirrors in the gym, his focus would be on himself rather than the individual with knee supports on.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Which ones Tom Daley ?
  12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I went through training on this, its a doddle

• Like Like x 6
  13. Once in and an injury caused whilst in training unit yes would probably be ok....but during the selection process and at Phase 1 training a total different matter and if a PTI sees a trainee with it on he would be shipped straight to SMO. Same as at ADSC if he wore a support or said what he has on here about occassional pain it would be an instant deferral and maybe sent to get an experts opinion on it. Why would the Army want to let anyone join who has medical issues such as this, if they are getting pain occassionally and feel the need to wear a knee support there a time bomb and burden waiting to happen as wont cope with the physical requirements needed and bringing an existing problem into the Army taking up time and appointments needed for those in serious need of Physio at some stage in their career......sorry to be blunt but fact....and yes plenty of soldiers in units who wear knee supports but those hopefully are ones injured during duty or sport whilst serving.
  14. I agree, it is possible to distract a PTI with shiny objects (mirrors) and other objects like hair gel, big wrist watches, glossy lifestyle mags and compliments on his muscles.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.