Could i do Phase 1 & 2 Training with a knee support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, i'm planning on joining the infantry, at the end of this month. I had asthma 4 years ago and i also dislocated my knee in ju-jitsu 3 years ago, it doesnt give me any problems but it get a wee bit sore now and again, would i be able doo phase 1 & 2 training with a knee support?

Thanks, and any information will be greatful!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I fear you are to be disappointed. Asthma and knee problems affect two pretty fundamental Infantry areas - running and marching - and are looked at pretty closely.

Hi there, i'm planning on joining the infantry, at the end of this month. I had asthma 4 years ago and i also dislocated my knee in ju-jitsu 3 years ago, it doesnt give me any problems but it get a wee bit sore now and again, would i be able doo phase 1 & 2 training with a knee support?

Thanks, and any information will be greatful!
I think you need more of a head support.

If you look at the medical threads on this forumn there is a lad asking identical questions.

Signallers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You get enough grief wearing knee pads!

Don't see why not.

If you're pronounced fit by the doc, I don't recall the DS doing knee support searches of the accommodation.
But surely it would be noticed by a PTI?

But surely it would be noticed by a PTI?
It all depends if the PTI has mirrors in the gym, his focus would be on himself rather than the individual with knee supports on.

It all depends if the PTI has mirrors in the gym, his focus would be on himself rather than the individual with knee supports on.
[video=youtube;bws52wtv6Ts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bws52wtv6Ts[/video]

I was going to say it would be noticed, sure.

But in light of your wise post, I amend that to ...

If it WAS noticed, knee supports aren't contraband so far as I'm aware. So it's none of the PTI's business is it? It's between you and the doc.
Once in and an injury caused whilst in training unit yes would probably be ok....but during the selection process and at Phase 1 training a total different matter and if a PTI sees a trainee with it on he would be shipped straight to SMO. Same as at ADSC if he wore a support or said what he has on here about occassional pain it would be an instant deferral and maybe sent to get an experts opinion on it. Why would the Army want to let anyone join who has medical issues such as this, if they are getting pain occassionally and feel the need to wear a knee support there a time bomb and burden waiting to happen as wont cope with the physical requirements needed and bringing an existing problem into the Army taking up time and appointments needed for those in serious need of Physio at some stage in their career......sorry to be blunt but fact....and yes plenty of soldiers in units who wear knee supports but those hopefully are ones injured during duty or sport whilst serving.

I agree, it is possible to distract a PTI with shiny objects (mirrors) and other objects like hair gel, big wrist watches, glossy lifestyle mags and compliments on his muscles.

I went through training on this, its a doddle

PG that deserves a like but looks like the forumns in transition of moving to the ARRSEHOLE so wont let me like

I went through training on this, its a doddle

Just had a few moments to think about this, I think your telling porkies as they would struggle to get you over the 12foot wall and I dont think they would get your over the cargo nets when you did the assault course.

If you have an existing knee injury it will play up big time in Phase 1. Especially dropping off the other side of walls and off beams and stuff, there's no 'rest period' you have PT pretty much every day in the first seven weeks.

Get it fixed first. If the PTI spots a knee support at any stage of recruitment or during training you'll be asked questions and carted off to the appropriate medical people.

You don't wanna be one of those people that gets an injury during training and remains biffing it for the rest of their time in Phase 1 and Phase 2. It'll waste your time massively.

Your link is shit. Surely you mean:

taxi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.