could I be defared?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by obique, Dec 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Guys,

I'm re-enlisting in the army this years. I've been out for 5 years. I got out with depression because the regiment I was in was poor ( I was away all year in 2000. got back and got told my girlfriend had been pregnant and aborted the baby, this upset me a lot and then I got stuck on christmas guard duty and got told I was flying down the falklands at the beginning of jan so i couldn't get home and sort things out.) Anyway now I married to another girl and have decided to join back up but a few months ago my wife lot twins and I went to my gp for a few days off work to sort a funeral out and things like that. The doctor only put depression on my file again which I was thinking will mess me up but I refused antidepresant tablets and sleeping tablets also.

Do you guys think this will stop me getting in?
  2. Obique,

Only the doctor can decide if you are suitable.

However, I note that you left before it really got busy - and it was busy enough in 00/01. What makes you think you would survive any better now?

To be absolutely blunt: if you couldn't cope then, how the hell will you cope now with a wife and two kids and a far, far busier job?

And if you are in a shortage trade or the Inf, you will be spending a lot of your time on ops.

3. Thanks for the reply,

Thats a good question that you asked and to answer it honestly I'd have to say that leaving the army the first time round was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

Plus when you say I left before it got busy in my unit only about 20% of the privates were being deployed the rest were kept in the unit for football, rugby and things like that which made the workload for the rest of us really hard. I think for the time i was in my Regiment I only spent about 15-20% of my time in the u.k and that was on guard duty and other duties of similar fashion.

In a nutshell if I do get a second chance I will take it with both hands and will not jepordise my career as I've regretted getting out from about an hour after I got home and if that means going away on operational tour most of the time I wil gladly do it knowing my Family have a safe and secure home back here in the uk.

Thanks again and I hope you see were I'm coming from.
  4. A mate of mine applied and didn't get in... he had "depression" about 10 years before he applied... in other words he wore black clothes and sat on street corners and got slapped with it. This stopped him getting in once! He did however get into the TA later on. Saying that, he had taken the drugs, if you're clear it might be different?

If you don't get in will you be prone to depression again? And is the Army worth more to you than family? I know as a TA bod that family and friends are going to be the main screw-up if I get the opportunity to mobilise.

Good luck anyway.