Could Help for Heroes give it a rest this week?

For 90 years the couple of weeks running up to Armistice day is time for the Poppy Appeal, a charity that uses the donations for those affected by all conflicts since World War One, this week for every RBL stand Ive seen about there has been a H4H stand almost next too it.
At Tescos today, I went into the store and there was only a RBL stand in the entrance, when Id finished shopping there was a H4H stand next to it! I know H4H do a cracking job, but they only exist for 'our current wounded', remembrance and the Poppy Appeal is for those from all conflicts, couldnt H4H back off a bit during this time of year or is it a bit too much to ask?

Just my point of view but Im interested on the views of others about this.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fair one in my opinion

I've stopped giving to the lads who come round my work on what feels like a daily basis doing some sort of event for Help for Heroes. As a charity it does great work but there are other Service charities out there as I keep telling them. If I hear them planning something I try and encourage them to think about the others like the RBL or Combat Stress. It saddens me at times when you see the look on their faces when you suggest something other than H4H, it's almost as if the ones I suggest aren't good enough.

B

Biscuits_AB

I've stopped giving to the lads who come round my work on what feels like a daily basis doing some sort of event for Help for Heroes. As a charity it does great work but there are other Service charities out there as I keep telling them. If I hear them planning something I try and encourage them to think about the others like the RBL or Combat Stress. It saddens me at times when you see the look on their faces when you suggest something other than H4H, it's almost as if the ones I suggest aren't good enough.
Some on this site would appear to be of that ilk. The recent 'desert poppy' pish is testament to the fact that some people have forgotten (or perhaps never learned) their history, or perhaps see themselves as more deserved.

How will Bryn and Emma Parry afford their new kitchen extension without surfing the wave of rememberence that has traditionally been RBL's turf?

Never forget the work undertaken by SSAFA, BLESMA, ABF and other charities that have performed sterling service long before 2003.

For 90 years the couple of weeks running up to Armistice day is time for the Poppy Appeal, a charity that uses the donations for those affected by all conflicts since World War One, this week for every RBL stand Ive seen about there has been a H4H stand almost next too it.
At Tescos today, I went into the store and there was only a RBL stand in the entrance, when Id finished shopping there was a H4H stand next to it! I know H4H do a cracking job, but they only exist for 'our current wounded', remembrance and the Poppy Appeal is for those from all conflicts, couldnt H4H back off a bit during this time of year or is it a bit too much to ask?

Just my point of view but Im interested on the views of others about this.
Agreed.

H4H has developed well and does a cracking job. Unfortunately the Poppy is seen as an anachronism (sp) for the two world wars and nothing more. History indeed should be taught more.

I don't donate to Help for Heroes. Anyone who can afford to spend 90k employing someone to run their funds can piss off.

All my spare pennies, and the dog's dinner money go to Hols4Heroes, Dogs Trust or RBL. I got myself a lovely shiney Poppy charm for my bracelet the other day.

Bling bling!!!!

B

bokkatankie

Agreed.

H4H has developed well and does a cracking job. Unfortunately the Poppy is seen as an anachronism (sp) for the two world wars and nothing more. History indeed should be taught more.
Is it really? Every tom dick and harry wearing one, FIFA wars over it, children laying poppys in Trafalgar Square. In 90 years will we still remember the Poppy or H4H?

Agreed.

I get fed up trying to explain to people that H4H doesn't do individual benevolent work: and that it is essentially a fundraising organisation which then distributes funds to capital projects run by others.

Too many think of H4H as doing everything - but it's RBL and SSAFA (the poor relation) are the ones who make a difference to all who have served and their relicts (as they actually have caseworkers), plus all those concerned with specific disabilities.

Is it really? Every tom dick and harry wearing one, FIFA wars over it, children laying poppys in Trafalgar Square. In 90 years will we still remember the Poppy or H4H?
But is every Tom, Dick and Harry wearing one knowing the history that goes with it or because it's the begining of November and everyone is wearing one? All I am trying (badly probably) to say is that the Poppy is often associated with the two world wars and not what has happened since.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'd rather my money went to Combat Stress, BLESMA or the RBL. But then I'm old fashioned and prefer to support those who quietly help men and women from any conflict rather than follow the latest in your face fad.

Latest Threads