Could ARRSE be an author of the forces misfortune?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Biped, Dec 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've been thinking about some of the posts on ARRSE, my own included, in which we roundly (and quite rightly) sl@g off this gobment, tree-huggers, lefties and communists.

There is vast and varied readership of this venerable forum, from the walt/chav/youngster at one end of the spectrum, through to serving, ex-serving personnel and politocos, journos and policymakers at the other end.

As a whole, ARRSE is a thorn in the side of the gobment, the anti-christ as far as the left-wing is concerned (as are the forces), and a bit of a rude thing as far as the MOD is concerned.

By comparison, (and this is what got me thinking), the UKNDA is peopled by the eloquent, the great and good, movers and shakers and it has managed in a short time to get lots of publicity.

Do you think that ARRSE is furthering the cause of our forces, over and above the damage it does in the mind of the ambivalent, or outright hostile? For example, say we had a minister who was no conversant with forces issues, and was looking into it, what would he make of the ARRSE forum, and would it swing him in favour or against them?

2. As far as Im concerned if the policy makers, politico's , journo's and general w&nkers of society read this forum, and take it to be a true, realistic and only view of the Armed Forces, they are muppets and should not be in the position they are in.
    As has been said many times before, ARRSE has a broad spectrum of readers and contributors, from walts, ******* and SCH's to ex-serving, still serving and STABS.
    Who is who we may never know, but anybody in any position of responsibility should also be aware of this.
    I would'nt regard ARRSE as being a bad thing for the gobment. More of a reminder that when things start to go sour, The ARRSE bandwagon begins to roll.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I think the PM, government, CDS, CGS et al. probably have more important things to worry about than ARRSE. I hope so at least. As for the image of the forces - I actually think you get quite a good one from ARRSE - the national / army / regimental pride on here is very very clear. I'm not saying we're ever going to be the favourite online haunt of guardian readers, but it ain't so bad.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I was reading some of the more spirited viewpoints on left-wingers, and just thought to myself "Is ARRSE an ambassador for the Armed Forces?"

Of course, that is not the role of ARRSE, whereas UKNDA sets itself that target, as well as being a political and media lobbying group in effect, although, when ARRSE gets a bee in it's collective bonnet - well, the effect is immediate, enormous and at times VERY effective.

I guess my question was based around this idea.
  5. It's only a website you tinfoil hat wearing plebian.

Think highly of yourself, dont you?

Get out more.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why yes, I certainly do! I'm a fair wordsmith and great literary brain, not to mention a great and esteemed member of this wonderful society to which we both belong. You sir, should be on bended knee, doffing your unwashed cap, nose to the floor as I pass in my carriage. I forgive you your jealous angst and resultant smears. Now, run along and clear out those stables, there's a good prole.
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

On here we have a broad spectrum of topics ranging from the serious to the ridiculous. You just have to see how often posts are quoted in the press,the site has,l'm sure,many high ranking officers who use arrse as a way of finding out what joe squaddie/sailor or airman thinks. No where else can you get a more varied opinion of what is going on in the world nor a place that has done such good (pun vc, grays lane,ect) work by it's members.
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The great and the good of UKNDA:

Lord Boyce, director of VT Group, responsible for the T45 destroyer - 2 years late and £635m over budget, and the Future Aircraft Carrier, whose 'demonstration costs' have more than doubled.

Lord Owen, director of Terra Firma Capital - never heard of them? They own Annington Homes.
  9. Great rebuttal VB - not that you're biased in any way, of course!

Only kidding - UKNDA is a collection of self-serving crybabies without peer outside of New Labour.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well shaft me with a rubber spoon! That's me put right then! Hannington Homes of £2 billion per annum rent I take it.

They're well off my seasons greetings list now. In the light of new information, I would like to say there is NO comparison! :oops:
  11. Read the label on the tin... army rumour service
    Having said that in the last week I attended an interesting conference , one of the debates covered the breakdown scenario of law , order and democracy in this country and the action to be taken to restore same, one of the talking heads suggested that all that need to be done is call up a reserve force loyal to the crown , when asked where this force would be found/funded/ equiped , said head replied " just put a post on ARRSE seems to work for other causes..."

I then became concerned that I was wearing My Mr PotatoHead pin and had no means of removing it .

its not a black helicopter,,, they come in a silver / gunmetal coloured Vauxhall ( apparantly )
  12. The other half was also attending a conference last week, one speaker said "I know I've made it when I'm quoted on arrse".
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

IMHO Arrse has a definite and welcome place in any debate regarding the British Army. Yes, we now have a bevvy of ex-Generals speaking out, but what is more important is that through this site, the voice of the ordinary serviceman can be aired. These are the people who have been on the 2 way range and are not commenting from a comfortable armchair or, indeed, a £1000 MOD chair.

To give these people a chance to air their views is one, if the the, major factors in support of having Arrse.

People are perfectly free to hold views differing from mine, that is the way of our country.