Could Arrse be a resource for film/TV makers.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by BuggerAll, Jun 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A film maker started a thread recently asking for some advice on a military issue so that he could get the details right on his film.

Although he was given the right advice he was also given some crap and of course he has no way of knowing which was which.

I wonder if there is any mileage in setting up some sort of resource where film makers can ask the questions and get sensible answers.

We all complain when film makers get it wrong - so lets see if we can help them to get it right.

If it's a reasonably simple question then I would suggest it be a free service. Call it good publicity. If the question is a bit more difficult then a small fee possibly split between ARRSE and who ever is supplying the technical info.

It could build up to Arrsers supplying technical experts to the industry for real money.

I'm not sure the best way to do it. Probably a film makers forum with rules like the current affairs forum stating no piss taking and reasonably robust moderator action to enforce that.

This is by no means a fully formed idea so I'd be interested to hear what others think.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. reading the arrsepdia is a good way of seeing through a squaddies mind
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Good. Then I shall treat the subject with respect. Here is my view.

Many journalists, film makers and such come on the ARRSE, some saying they have contacted the grown-ups first, and ask questions. Maybe they make contact with people who can talk to them, maybe not. Mostly they get battered. And quite right in my view.

Because they are lazy bastards trying to use the ARRSE to do something they are too afraid to do. And that is, seek out the people who were there. Sit with them. Gain their trust then listen. You can setup a ARRSE Comes Clean Forum or a ******* intranet. But if one is writing, or making a film / TV thing about sensitive things, then the journo / producer should have the balls to seek out real people and talk to them. They will always repay that trust.

No offence. But you asked for my view and now you have it.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Isn't it far more fun when the producers get it wrong???
  5. can we have chairs made up with names on the back
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Make them prospect for the "ARRSE Bandits".
  7. Technical ARRSE Advisor hmmmmmmmmn
  8. Might work, but is someone going to finally sack the ******* Gareth who has been advising film makers for 30 years on how people shape their lids?
    • Like Like x 3
  9. does this allow me to calim to be in media and be able to "help" the careers of pert 18 year olds
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ray Stevenson got the Rifles lid spot on in Outpost
  11. Duke...Agree with much of what you said, but would add that that there is plenty of mileage in BA's idea. In that if the lazy, feckless journo's who haunt this site can't be bothered to do their own research, and aren't prepared to divi up for info, then they can be fucked off at the high port accordingly. However, if they are serious in their intent to portray soldiers properly, and wish to garner first hand info about certain (non sensitive) subjects, and are prepared to pay up for the privelage, then any proceeds could be split between the ARRSE and one of it's charities of choice. A win win all round i think...Because as most know on here they will invent and write the shit anyway, so why not make a few bob for a worthy cause?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I must admit I have helped out a couple of authors on military and technical terminology, recently I researched weather reports of both the Gallipoli and Somme battles for an author friend, some of these people I only came into contact with because of the ARRSE book club.

Doesn't PR Totty do the filmy things
  13. It already is.
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You are Squarebasher and I claim my five pounds. And the next time you do a piece about Nassir Al-Hindaw, try to get my name right. It is Torquil. Not Tarquin.
  15. They may not want to get it too accuratly.
    For example Saving Ryans privates was a very good film about the D-Day landings.
    A three hour film about squaddies sitting around waiting for some thing to happen may not be so entertaining, and a film about squaddies sweeping up and painting tanks may well be a technical accurate dipioction of army life, but it wont put many bums on seats.