Could any one donate accommodation?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by veritas, Mar 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I talked to this bloke, a fellow re-enactor who is retiring after 20yrs in the Navy and embarking on a walk, John O'Groats to Lands End, wearing 17th century pikeman attire, for the benefit of 'Help For Heroes'. The walk is due to take place May-July 09

I'm not on here asking for money, I'm hoping some of the kind souls of this board could help with accommodation. In order to keep costs down he is hoping people will billet him along the route, which is.

Dunnet Head – John O'Groats – Nybster – Wick Hill 'O' Many Stones – Dunbeath - Helmsdale – Brora – Golspie – Tain – Alness – Dingwall – Muir of Ord – Beauly – Milton – Urquhart Castle – Invermoriston – Fort Augustus – Aberchalder – Laggan – Gairlochy Gearr Lochaidh – Fort William – Kinlochleven – King's House Hotel – Bridge of Orchy – Tyndrum – Inverarnan – Rowardennan – Balmaha – Drymen – Strathblane – Milton of Campsie – Slamannan – Torphichen – West Calder – Garvald – Peebles – Melrose – Jedburgh – Byrness – Bellingham – Haltwhistle – Alston – Langdon Beck – Middleton-in-Teeside – Barnard Castle – Bowes Castle – Keld – Hawes – Horton-in-Ribblesdale – Kirkby Malham – Skipton – Lothersdale – Hebden Bridge – Standege – Glossop – Hayfield – Chapel-en-le-Frith – Buxton – Longnor – Warslow – Ipstones – Kingsley Holt – Draycott in the Moors – Stone – Eccleshall – Gnosall Heath – Bishops Wood – Kinver – Bewdley – Holt Heath – Worcester – Upton Upon Severn – Tewkesbury – Gloucester – Dursley – Wooton-Under-Edge – Old Chipping Sodbury – Wick – Keynsham – Bishop Sutton – West Harptree – Cheddar – Westbury-Sub-Mendip – Glastonbury – Greinton – Othery – Taunton – Wellington – Tiverton – Crediton - South Zeal – Okehampton – Bridestowe – Lifton – Launceston – King Doniert's Stone – St Neot – Old Cardinham – Roche – St Stephen – Grampound – Probus – Truro – Redruth – Leedstown – Penzance

Now I dont live near any of these places but I was hoping with such a wide audience here, that some one would be able to help.

Details on his pages..

just giving

MODs feel free to move, I just wanted to hit a wide audience.
  2. Would a camper van RV be any use
  3. I've got an insane support vehicle he could use, I might even drive it for him
  4. Thatts what I was thinking too
  5. i have a five berth CI camper van on a Fiat chassis and Am prepared to drive it as a support veh but I might need a bit of help with fuel costs, as you are looking at over a thousand miles all told as I would have to go up and back but I have nothing on at the time that I could not dump
  6. "ahhh, hi darling mmmmmm,"

"yes, what is it,"

"forgot to mention, have someone popping round later......"

"well, terribly nice chap actually, he's a 17th Century pikeman in fact, he's..."

"have you been drinking again?"

"well no, he's.."

"and have you met your Pikeman before...."

"Well, no sweetheart, it's just that he's only coming for one night.."

"Get out, take the dogs for a walk and sober up and you really must stop drinking at lunchtime.."

Sorry, not en route!
  7. Good point, but I dont *think* he's done anything nasty, at least he's never been caught.

I'll pass on all suggestions, thanks.
  9. Sorry,not en route either.

Good luck to the chap though.

Pm to be sent regarding some possible help though
  10. Chipping Sodbury?
    Get Clarkson on the case, patron of Help for Heroes after all
  11. For the stretch between West HArptree and Cheddar he will have to cross the mendips and I feel sure that either the Castle of Comfort, The New Inn or the Queen Victoria in Priddy would offer a bed for the night in return for a photo opportunity as would the cavers hostel at Priddy - all available online.

If you go to the Priddy Village website I am sure the whole village would turn out to support and may even accomodate.

Dressed like that he could probably turn this into the most epic pub crawl of all time - imagine the headline "17th Century Pikeman drinks his way from John O'Groats to Lands End"

He probably wouldn't have to pay for a single pint.
  12. If he wants to detour via East Sussex,he's more than welcome!