Could an American join the RAF????

I apologise if this is not the place to ask, but could an American citizen join the RAF??? if they so wished? I do believe that some years ago when I was in the Army, there was a scheme where a UK citizen could join the US Forces and after 'I think' 3 years service would be granted joint US citizenship. Does the UK have anything like that?

We have South Africans. Can't see why not but look on the website and check criteria.

I apologise if this is not the place to ask, but could an American citizen join the RAF??? if they so wished? I do believe that some years ago when I was in the Army, there was a scheme where a UK citizen could join the US Forces and after 'I think' 3 years service would be granted joint US citizenship. Does the UK have anything like that?
Just join the USAF they might actually have some kit next year, or cant you join the USAF, been a bad boy in the US ?

The whole RAF were Americans in the the 1940's. At least they were in those shitty 1960's films which always included a mandatory member of Eagle squadron. And in that pile of shite 'Pearl Harbor'.

The simple answer is probably not, but it may depend on individual circumstances. Things which might make it possible are a British or commonwealth parent or being married to a Brit or commonwealth citizen. Your age (depending what it is) may be an issue as well.

Out of curiosity, what was the scheme by which Brits could join the US Army? I've never heard of it.

Also out of curiosity why are you keen to join the British armed forces?

only when we are at war with Germany.
Thanks for all the fun replies, guys but I seriously do need to get a definitive answer. Could someone point me in the right direction? It is not for me but for a young person who has set their heart on it. (The other option for this young protege is to join the septics...but for some reason the RAF calls!!, you know how it is!!!! the glamour of the shabby uniform....the smell of burning parrafin?????) On the scheme whereby a UK person could join the US forces? I don,t know the name of it, but I nearly did it in the late 70,s You needed an American sponsor (serving or not). It was a way to quick 'septic citizenship'....I was dreaming of a yank uniform and a posting to UK/Germany along with about double the money I was getting at the time....In the end I didn,t pursue it, I stayed in the Signals another 10 years. (I have tried to push this young person in the direction of the Army.....I may get through to them eventually....but will there be an Army/Airforce in 5 years time?? with politics looking so shabby who knows, but I have to try for this young persons future well being? or not???ooerrr missus!!)

The RAF Careers website has a "live chat" facility where you get to talk to some anonymous careers chappy who must be too ugly to put in a high street careers office.

I am sure someone at the other end could give you an answer straight away.

Being accepted by the Royal Air force depends, not only on bearing, intelligence and being an all round good egg, but also on qualities that are not mentioned on RAF recruiting posters for fear of causing an even bigger inferiority complex within the ranks of the British Army. For the same reason, as well as my good manners, I wont point out exactly what those qualities are on a forum that is predominantly populated by soldiers, ex soldiers, and impressionable youths.