could a brit transfer to the US army?

Discussion in 'US' started by ub2008, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible for a british soldier to transfer across to the US army? :?
  2. AFAIK you would to be discharged with no reserve commitments and you would need to have a "green card" permanent residency. The people here should be able to help:
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

No is the short answer. Unless you have a Septic Passport. And if you did, you would be very unlikely to be serving in UK Forces in the first place.
  4. Why would you want to?????????????????????????????
  5. You'd have to change your ways and start washing.
  6. If you wear sunglasses to bed you might be in with a chance...BOOYAH!!
  7. duplicate entry
  8. Yes, it is possible...there are of course some must be in the USA to enlist. You will start off as a recruit, and then work your way up.

So, if you are a junior rank now, no big loss... NCOs and Officers have a bigger problem.

The US Army Recruiting Command has a brilliant on-line chat system, give it a go.

You will enjoy a higher rate of pay, great benefits and, of course, a higher standard of living. Good luck.
  9. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

So when I am next viiting disneyland on holiday, I just drop by the careers office/Army recruiting centre and sign up?

I think you are failing to include some important material facts.
  10. if you certain quals (arabic, pashto, etc) and you can get to the US, i believe there is a program where you can enlist, gain permanent residency automatically, and receive citizenship after you complete your first contract. goarmy. com has all the info
  11. You must be able to do it..

I met a guy once in a pub who was in the SBS and got bored with the lack of real action, so jumped ship and joined the US Navy Seals, had to do selection all over again, got disappointed with "not getting stuck in" and left to do a Sociology degree at Staffordshire University?? He kept banging on about it when I was working the door.

(Why is that? where does that come from? That has got to be a ripe and juicy thread for the taking.... maybe.....Walts you have met when you have been stagging on... and/or bouncing perhaps? )

12. Not entirely true. Passport/Citizenship is not a requirement. Hasn't been for years. US Nationals who are not citizens (i.e. people from Samoa and a couple of other Pacific Islands) can join. Any immigrant with permanent resident status (i.e. holds a I551 "Green Card") also can join. Nationals and aliens who are in the military can get a "fast track" citizenship plus US military service anywhere in the world counts as time in the US for citizenship purposes.

In addition there is the MAVNI program which allows non citizens living in the US for 2 years on one of 18 classes of non-resident visas to join if they either 1) speak one of 35 specific languages including a number of European languages 2) possess medical qualifications that the Army needs. Also, MAVNI applicants must speak English.

If people have skills the Army wants they can cut lots of red tape and waive lots of regulations. I recall reading recently of a man (US citizen) who was commissioned directly as a LtCol or Col at the age of 59. Why you ask, he was an experienced Ear-Nose-Throat surgeon who had experience in facial trauma. If I recall the article correctly he is now deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan.
  13. I had several UK citizens serve with me in the US Marines but there was no "transfer." Even though they had experience in the UK forces, they had to start all over and that is not a very easy thing to do nowadays. To some extent the relative ease or difficulty to get into any US service depends on the op-tempo, attrition rates and enlistment rates (whether it is a "buyers" or "sellers" market at the time you are trying to join.
  14. This subject was already covered in an older thread but here goes... upon discharge from your unit and legal aquisition of a green card you can enlist with the US Army. Service provides a fast track for full citizenship and I can speak from experience that at least ten percent of our soldiers are foreign nationals. Heck, the last squad I commanded before leaving the service for higher education and all that consisted of four American born, a Philippino, a Guatamalan, a Sri Lankan, and a Finn. Immigrants make damned good soldiers and despite some communications issues (yeah... never make a Laplander your RTO...) I can't recall having any major discipline or other sorts of problems with any of the one's I knew over my dozen years in uniform.
  15. I concur.