Cougar meets IED

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Richard_North, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A remarkable series of photographs of a USMC Cougar (Mastiff equivalent) in Iraq, after being hit by a massive IED here. Minor injuries only.

Sorry ... didn't realise some could not see them.

2. msr

msr LE

Remarkable indeed.

I only dread to think what would have happened if the IED had hit the crew compartment rather than the engine...

3. Feck me that must have been one massive IED I thought they were designed to take a shed load of abuse from En action
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Can anybody post the pics? Work won't let me access that site as its "social and networking."
  5. *Picture posting failed. Sorry!*
  6. Still survivable...

7. Look at the Editors - they include one Richard Hea . . . . oops North.

Note it is a rant about using Snatch and yet references to recent casualties show only WIMIK. This includes when Dr North references 40 Commando losing 4 in the advance on Sangin without bothering to mention that the vehicles used were WIMIK and not Snatch, the article only mentioning the latter up to that point and therefore leading the reader to the understanding that the Bootnecks were travelling in them.
  8. If you think that concern for personnel getting killed and injured in lightly armoured vehicles is a rant, so be it. And, as you - so often - seem to hate all things US - you can have a Bushmaster if you prefer:

9. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have often said even on here - that the Yanks have superb equipment that is let down by the quality of their troops.

Incidentally, are You trying to tell me that Bushmaster/Cougar/Vector are doing the same job as WIMIK?
  10. Damn! I was hoping to see a big cat in pieces :)
  11. There are, incidentally, two sides to every story ... this is the side the Bushmaster got hit.. you can see the marks on the v-shaped armour.

As far as it goes, the Canadians use the RG-31 Nyala and the Australians and Dutch use Bushmasters for patrolling, in the same context that the British Army uses WIMIKs. The Germans use Dingo 2s. The US are now introducing 4x4 Cougars, although they have other MRAPs in the wings.
  12. Only Dr North
  13. Wow, looks like a good purchase ( as would be the Roivalk/Buffel kind of veh. )
  14. any idea as to size of IED ( OPSEC in mind )?
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, that doesn't look like it would have been so easy to walk away from if it had been a Landrover, or Humvee.