Cottesmore bites the dust

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by tropper66, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just reported on BBC that Cottesmore is to close, had many good nights out at the pubs in Greetham

2. Just picked this up on Sky.

If the war in Afghanistan is so important then why do we need to close bases and make savings in order to pay for new equipment?
    Is it that the govt just doesnt take it seriously?
    Or is it that they are just using the war to reduce the liability of the Forces on the Treasury?

3. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

<sniff>

Surprised they chose Cott. Cott is big and has good aviation facilities [hangars, parking, ATC setup etc. etc.]. Had a lot of NATO money thrown at it over the years as well.

4. I know, I did the NATO contract for ARC

5. Prime candidate for closure surely!

6. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

....... deleted having read the next post :wink:

7. I'd love to know where at Wittering they intend to put all the manpower and administration aspects of Cottesmore's operation, there's nothing vacant since they developed it into a logistics hub. There's always a silver lining though I won't have harriers flying a few hundred feet above my house at all hours :D

8. For the closure of Cottesmore, read also a reduction in Harrier and early retirement of the fleet. The closure has nothing to do with paying for the new Chinooks, but everything to do with the MOD being virtually bankrupt.

One of the future plans may be for the RAF to reduce to no more than 2 ac types per capability, hence Merlin will move to the Andrew leaving us with Chinook and Puma for SH; Harrier will retire leaving Tornado and Typhoon for GR; and the ISTAR (E3, ASTOR, Nimrod) chaps should probably be worried at least one of their ac types will probably be going. Hopefully we will sh1tcan A400M as well.

9. As we all know that New Liarbour has a chum who is a property developer (think Church Crookham, Chichester, Chelsea, among many others) one has to look at the possible opportunities for turning the large amount of land that Cottesmore occupies into housing. Is there a dormitory town nearby?

'Had a lot of NATO money thrown at it over the years as well.' - so did Greenham Common.

This gives the lie to Gordon's latest attempt to portray himself as the squaddies new best friend - even the BBC has twigged that the £150 million to counter IEDs is not new money, and they are so far up Gordon's arsse, all you can see is their boots.

10. Someone recently joked (i think 8O ) on here about disbanding the RAF and giving lifting capabilities to the Army and fighter stuff to the Navy.....thin end of the wedge??

11. To be fair, it's a shithole and way past it's sell by date anyway. It was always a question of when, we all knew it was coming.

12. Go back to 81/82 Navy was going to get some heavy cuts but the Falklands saved them,Army had options for change in the 90's. looks like its the crabs turn now !! What next ?

13. move an army unit in there

14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Probably because they DO take it seriously (when most of the public do not, hence the massive shift to being against the War - but not, thankfully, resulting in a loss of support for troops) is why they are having to shut down other areas of Defence to afford it. There is no money, anywhere. I expect more cuts to be honest (aside from MOD staff). With this massive debt, its bound to happen.

I still laugh when they are dishing out hefty amounts (billions) towards the EU climate change fund, yet the "War on terror" - which affects every single one of us accoding to Cyclops - is effectively permanently bankrupt.

15. Good luck with that, the place is properly falling apart.