Costumes for Taking the Blood of Butterflies

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Butterflies, Oct 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Weaver Hughes Ensemble is seeking authentic costumes for the production of TAKING THE BLOOD OF BUTTERFLIES by Sean Burn at Oval House Theatre.

We are seeking donations of army wear, including: Boots, Jackets, Trousers, Helmets and so on. All of the costumes would be what you would wear in the field, in a arid and hot country.

We are also looking for advice on where we could obtain de-commissioned weapons for the production.

Please contact us on this email address or on tim@weaverhughesensemble.co.uk, and our London address is 12b Carholme Road, London, SE23 2HS.

Details of what we are looking for are below. All donations would be gratefully received, and acknowledged in the programme, as well as complimentary tickets to the production offered.

Costumes sought for TAKING THE BLOOD OF BUTTERFLIES by Sean Burn

24th October to 11th November 2006

SOLDIERS COSTUMES
    Ranks: One Colonel (American), 2 privates (German and French) and One Army Doctor (English and Civilian enrolled into army)

The is a peace-keeping force made up of different nationalities

This a hot and humid country, or the colour should be light

Boots
    4 pairs of army boots, heavy duty and well worn
    Seizes: 6, 9, 9 and a half and an 8-9

Helmets
    Four Helmets. Again worn and well used
    Sizes: 3 * 23 and 1 * 33

Jackets
    Four jackets
    Sizes: 2 * 34, 1* 40 and 1* 42

T-Shirts
    Four T-shirts
    Sizes: 2 * 34, 1* 40 and 1* 42

Trousers
    Four pairs of trousers
    1. Waist 34-36, Inside Leg 32
    2. Waist 36, Inside Leg 33
    3. Waist 31, Inside Leg 32
    4. Waist 28, Inside Leg 31

Back-Packs
    4 back packs

Weapons
    2 patrol (assault) rifles
    1 Colt 45 or Smithton and Weston
    1 Walther PPK
    Empty Cartridges and Shells

Many Thanks
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Hi Tim,

What era?

3. Summary: In a war torn country, a mother, her daughter and a peacekeeping force struggle to survive. Under siege and numbed by war, the soldiers are slowly slipping into madness. Soon their war cries of valour and duty are replaced by death and abuse.

Sounds like a bundle of laughs!

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It won't be long until the German is off to 'liberate' Poland, I'm sure.

5. Its modern day. Basically today.

Tim

6. A civilian doctor enrolled into the army, in a modern day scenario, is that feasible?

7. They forgot to ask for the yellow handbag, there HAS to be a yellow heand bag from Herford surely?

8. The doctor is not army, and is from a civilian background. While this may not be completely real in a Nato peace-keeping force, the play is not attempting to look at that.

In the world of the play, its a peace-keeping force, and which is not specified.

In the play, the doctor has been attached to the company of soldiers. He is there to monitor their health. Though for what reasons, and for whose benefit remains uncertain.

And it is a barrel of laughs

9. I'll get the director onto this one!

10. Butterflies,

Civilian doctors don't serve with the army - they join the army as a Professionally Qualified Officer (after doing a shorter commisioning course) and serve with the medical corps (as Med staff under the auspices of the Geneva Convention/Protocols - red cross on arms et al).

Might be better/more realistic to have your civvy doctor either as A) a civvy doc serving overseas with an NGO, who after being found by a mil unit (under whatever circumstances) finds that he can do the most good there or B) as a PQO, serving as that units MO, who still thinks as a civvy, due to a shortened commisioning course.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising.

Ging

11. Ging,

Not patronising at all. In fact, my father joined the RMC from when he graduated from Guys Hospital back in the 60's. He enrolled to support himself through training, but it was always in his blood as his father had served too.

In the play, the playwright is manipulating reality. The doctor here has a civilian background but somehow has been assigned to the peace-keepers. I will ask the company what they think their reasoning might be. I feel that the playwright wanted to keep away from being too constrained by the ethics of medical profession, and it might have been my fault stating he was an "Army" doctor above.

In our play, the doctor as well as the whole company, is coming under great stress. He is there to monitor that stress, to record it and to officate over it. But not necessarily allivate it.

The play is about the impact upon the mind of conflict.

Butterflies

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If you are after modern stuff have a word with the QM (QuarterMaster) of the local army unit. They might be able to help out if you are suitably gracious. They'll want it back.

The local TA unit could help but probably doesn't have sand coloured gear which I think you are after. So try the local Regular army barracks.

Don't ask for weapons. You could ask BAPTY down near Pinewood for those, they have rubber/plastic versions of most guns.

You may also want to think about

Berets, body armour,