Costco Tyres - rip off?

I had a SEAT leon turbo years ago , one of the first ones . It had FATE brand tyres on it ! Russian and i am sure they were made of extremely hard plastic rather than rubber as they were very shiny .

I put 30 k on those and they still had life left in them , although they were absolutely lethal in the wet !

I had a SEAT leon turbo years ago , one of the first ones . It had FATE brand tyres on it ! Russian and i am sure they were made of extremely hard plastic rather than rubber as they were very shiny .

I put 30 k on those and they still had life left in them , although they were absolutely lethal in the wet !
Going by the advice the "experts" give, they should only be replaced with equally shit tyres, lest the sudden improvement in grip causes you to crash, as you would be used to turning into corners before you got there, and would be totally incapable of adapting to the new rubber (yet presumably perfectly capable of adapting to changes in the road surface, such that at all times, you would be driving to the absolute limits of the old tyres).

Going by the advice the "experts" give, they should only be replaced with equally shit tyres, lest the sudden improvement in grip causes you to crash, as you would be used to turning into corners before you got there, and would be totally incapable of adapting to the new rubber (yet presumably perfectly capable of adapting to changes in the road surface, such that at all times, you would be driving to the absolute limits of the old tyres).
I'm sure the advice would be to swap between new and old tyres daily so i get used to them gradually or some such waffle .

So, what is a knot per hour?
Precisely.
Now, don't get me started on the Mercator projection and the air routes...
"Why don't they fly straight from New York to London?"
Worst EVER! A report in the paper about the bloke's 3million mile Volvo.
They converted everything to kms.
And used the word 'milestone' in the headline.
But never said 3million miles - just said he'd done 4.8m kms!

Worst EVER! A report in the paper about the bloke's 3million mile Volvo.
They converted everything to kms.
And used the word 'milestone' in the headline.
But never said 3million miles - just said he'd done 4.8m kms!
Old people are incable of thinking in metric measures and imperial. Do you still ask for gallons of four star and a hundredweight of spuds?

Old people are incable of thinking in metric measures and imperial. Do you still ask for gallons of four star and a hundredweight of spuds?
Not the point.
A car did 3m miles.
So to pedantically report some arbitrary number cos it was 'correct' lost the whole ethos.
Like the 0-96 times.
Or 'supercar' which does 200mph 321km/h.
Or the 1.82m chap.
Give em 2.54cm, and they'll take 1.609km.

My winter tyres had gone off with age, I found them are very easy to slide, especially on a certain roundabout, also very easy to get the ABS to work. The tyres were dated 2011, and had about 4mm left, not enough for winter tyres really, so I got some more through Mytyres.
They arrived at the tyre shop and I rang to book the car in, no I was told just turn up, so I did with my winter wheels in the boot. Thebloke the launched into some attack about buying off the Internet and buying from Germany and how your card will be hacked etc etc and not knowing what you'll get when / if the tyres turn up. He stated that he wasn't a Mytyres fitter, the tyres just turn up and if anybody turns up and asks for them to be fitted they don't know who they are for. I should have just gone to him in the first place as he has some tyres he could have let me have in stock.
I ask about the tyres he had and they were from 2015, not good when they recommend winters are changed every 4 / 6 years depending on who makes them. Anyway they were busy, mainly dealing with his heap of crap that he was trying to do up, rather than customers cars, so I left my wheels there and went back later.

The idiots had used knock on weights on 19" alloys on the insides, the pressures were all at 30, not the pressure I asked for. Hey couldn't even swap the wheels for me as the lad doing it put the car on a ramp lift for some reason and couldn't work out that it was still on its wheels when he picked it up. Why lift a car into the air when you're trying to fit 19" wheels and a set of 245 tyres. It's dead easy to swap them at floor level. He tried an airbag Jack which didn't lift high enough and was then going to place a giant set of axle stands under neath when I told him not to bother. God knows where he'd have placed them. Why he didn't use a trolley Jack I don't know. I swapped the wheels over at home. HiQ definately won't be seeing me again.

RP.

Tyre fitters are generally the worst people i ever want to deal with .

The conversation goes like this EVERY time .

Me- I'm after some cheap tyres , nothing fancy , the cars just used around town and its not worth anything .
Tyre ape - Yeah ok , ive got some Michelin proxy 8000s at £138 i can do you ?

Tyre fitters are generally the worst people i ever want to deal with .

The conversation goes like this EVERY time .

Me- I'm after some cheap tyres , nothing fancy , the cars just used around town and its not worth anything .
Tyre ape - Yeah ok , ive got some Michelin proxy 8000s at £138 i can do you ?
You get the same thing if you ask ARRSE for recommendations for a cheap laptop.

You get the same thing if you ask ARRSE for recommendations for a cheap laptop.
I have an old HP Whatever GTX blah blah blah. I think it works but that's not important when you consider how cheaply it can be yours.. just £2000.14 plus postage but hurry, I only have a truck load erm... just the one.

Bit of a 'Thread Drift'....

Not only does the Insurer of your car EXPECT you to have the correct tyres on it - but you should also inform them of ANY additions / alterations to the car, which takes it OUT of the agreed value & performance, as per it's original spec.....
I did have an insurance company refuse me because fitted an Overdrive, Raised air intake and steering guard and as such this was 3 mods and they only permitted 2.

Ive had another company declare a similar vehicle as unmodified because it could have come out the show room with everything fitted as options from new - therefore it doesn't matter that they were later additions by subsequent owners .

@Lindermyer When I had my 110 I told the insurance company that I had fitted a hidey hole compartment, (think box fitted opposite side to internal spare wheel on 110 hard top, in same place as the Jerry can hole on Wolf LR, but accessed from inside) to stash all the stuff normally carried in the wagon. This was covered with a side seat. I told the insurance company what I'd done and they wanted to know how many people I could carry in the vehicle. I told them. They then asked if I added more seats how many it could carry. I told them I hadn't and wouldn't add more. They still persisted in wanting to know how many it could carry if I carried out more mods.
They got fed up when I told them 12 if I fully seat out the back and that'd have to go to the under writer. I then told them if I cut it in half, added some more chassis rails and made it a 127 it could carry more. Maybe if I made it a 127 double decker it could hold 20 people. When did they want me to stop making hypothetical modifications to a vehicle? Idiots.