Costco Tyres - rip off?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say that I don't really care how much car drivers pay for their tyres, to be honest. Just as long as they pay for their tyres, and that they are designed to be used by the car. Instead of, like the guy I saw today, driving around in a car that's capable of a top speed of 128 (ish) mph (late model Subaru Impreza saloon) with his front passenger side wheelwell glorying in a space saver tyre, which you know the guy would happily drive with at speeds in mph matching the never-exceed kph limit written on its sidewall while on a motorway and as nearly as fast elsewhere as long as there wasn't a GATSO or a traffic cop around to catch him.

If you can't afford to keep your car in a roadworthy condition, with four decent tyres of a type designed to be used at the full range of speeds and road conditions available for you in your vehicle, don't drive your car. Because if you are doing so, you are a danger to yourself, your passengers, and any poor bastard you run into because your over-stressed space saver tyre that you've been running around on for months blows off of its rim and causes you to have a road traffic collision. It isn't rocket science.
Police Recruitment

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say that I don't really care how much car drivers pay for their tyres, to be honest. Just as long as they pay for their tyres, and that they are designed to be used by the car. Instead of, like the guy I saw today, driving around in a car that's capable of a top speed of 128 (ish) mph (late model Subaru Impreza saloon) with his front passenger side wheelwell glorying in a space saver tyre, which you know the guy would happily drive with at speeds in mph matching the never-exceed kph limit written on its sidewall while on a motorway and as nearly as fast elsewhere as long as there wasn't a GATSO or a traffic cop around to catch him.

If you can't afford to keep your car in a roadworthy condition, with four decent tyres of a type designed to be used at the full range of speeds and road conditions available for you in your vehicle, don't drive your car. Because if you are doing so, you are a danger to yourself, your passengers, and any poor bastard you run into because your over-stressed space saver tyre that you've been running around on for months blows off of its rim and causes you to have a road traffic collision. It isn't rocket science.
Just to add, you may also not be insured if you don't have tyres of the correct speed rating fitted too.
Oh the joys of paying for tyres rated to 168 or 186mph when the speed limit is 70mph :)
But it's what should be fitted so I cough up.

Fortunately for most members of my family, whose bribe money to keep me from slamming them into the chokey would supplement my wages to no end, I fall well outside the minimum eyesight requirements for a job as a Police Officer. And LASIK wasn't around then at the time I wanted to join up.

Shame on Costco for not being straight with you mate and thank goodness that you were sharp enough to think it through.

A few years ago I tried Blackcircles, ordered the tyres online, went to their approved local dealer for fitting and have never looked back. No fuss, no tooth-sucking by the fitter, no warnings about worn shocks, brakes, exhausts and all the rest of it - drive in, read a magazine then drive out with a good job done. If a cynic like me can make a good recommendation it may be worth you having a look?
Same here and the fitting company they recommended has had my business ever since for services and a few things as they do a good job for a reasonable price and don't feck about.

I use COSTCO but only take in loose wheels and fit them to the car myself to prevent them over tightening the wheel nuts or damaging the wheel nut locking socket.

COSTCO do send out a sale leaflet with all the deals in as well as emailing you if you have registered your email address.

I normally buy the Michelin branded tyres when they are on offer.

If you have damaged your wheel locking nuts or the wheel nut locking socket or need to replace the lot then contact;

EVO AUTOMOTIVE SOLUTIONS LTD based in Milton Keynes MK3 7QT.

They manufacture them for most makes of car.

You can pop in and buy direct from the Reception Desk but give them a phone call first to check they stock your car model/make and have your number in stock.

Tel; 01908 64 65 66.

Due to clumsily tyre fitters using air guns on the locking nuts I have had to used them a few times.

Thirteen... all webbed which is to be expected on Tyneside inbreds. Norfolk the same but just the 8 fingers and two thumbs

On each hand.
That's a better answer than mine was going to be. Thanks.

I use COSTCO but only take in loose wheels and fit them to the car myself to prevent them over tightening the wheel nuts or damaging the wheel nut locking socket.

COSTCO do send out a sale leaflet with all the deals in as well as emailing you if you have registered your email address.

If you have damaged your wheel locking nuts or the wheel nut locking socket or need to replace the lot then contact;

You can pop in and buy direct from the Reception Desk but give them a phone call first to check they stock your car model/make and have your number in stock.

Tel; 01908 64 65 66.

Due to clumsily tyre fitters using air guns on the locking nuts I have had to used them a few times.
It might be time for you to buy some extra normal wheel nuts, solely for fitting prior to tyre centre visits instead of the locking nuts.
I have a set in red just for this purpose. I also point out I want the nuts torqued to 110Nm, not the 250Nm the tyre centre's wheel nut guns torque to.

Blackcircles and eTyres have some good prices but you might make yet more of a saving. If you go to the company fitting their tyres, ask them how much they charge for the same brand. I saved a couple of quid per tyre as a result of the fitters ordering the tyres and passing on some of the trade discount.

Instead of, like the guy I saw today, driving around in a car that's capable of a top speed of 128 (ish) mph (late model Subaru Impreza saloon) with his front passenger side wheelwell glorying in a space saver tyre.
Aaah, another RTFM failure!

I've only had to use a spacesaver once. But that was about 250km from home, which made for a looooong trip at 80km/h!
After that I bought a full-sized wheel from a scrapyard. No great loss of boot space.

I'm fortunate that I live near a racetrack, so local tyre fitters are themselves drivers/spannermen, so know their stuff.
They've actually 'sold me down' before, recommending a cheaper brand which proved excellent in all respects.
They also do alignment for free on fitting, and discounted at my subsequent 10K visits.
The chap who owns it has an interesting sideline as well...

Although Doris has recently retied from ASDA she still has her discount card for a year, so this year 2 front tyres on the yaris and 2 rear tyres on the motorhome

Last year when The Yaris got new rear tyres the nice chap in the garage pointed out to me the wear to the outside of the front tyres " we can put it on our new all singing all dancing computer assisted laser shining expensive charging machine if there is no problem there is no charge", so I stood watching the CCTV from the machine on the wall in the observation room it was a half hour of pictures and red lines and green lines which ended up with him saying "there's actually nothing wrong with it mate don't know why it's wearing only on the outsides"
Must be something to me driving it like you are supposed to drive a front wheel drive car , and just booting it around any bends instead of braking then accelerating out
anyway, enough of this frivolity front tyres are still above legal limit, but there is a nail stuck in the nearside one, just outside "the legal position we can put a plug in them Sir" as the VM tart in Kwikfit said three weeks ago ( I was about to go to Portugal for the week and the car would be sitting at the airport tyre getting softer by the day and I didn't want to come back to a flat that I'd have to put the pump onto ( no spare tyre on this fecking motor )
Anyhoo , left the nail in and bunged a can of repair gunk into it ( well it's what you get with the car instead of a spare FFS)... been three weeks now , tyre still not lost any air so it will do until probably July... motorhome and the smart tow car are off the road at the moment, and the Yaris isn't going to get driven for 6 weeks after my imminent heart surgery , so the tyres can wait until then, good discount by the way 20% so the car gets Dunlops, van gets the bood ones as well and it looks as though th smart may need a front and rear for its MOT (slight cracking in the walls)

One hates to argue with someone who knows what they are talking about but WTF?
But you are going to anyway :)

I'm not arguing about how you fit your tyres, that's entirely your choice.
All I am saying is that Costco are following long established industry safe practice. The correct way to do it is to fit new tyres to the rear of the vehicle.

Everyone has their own opinion on it and its no odds to me but everyone in the tyre game says you are wrong....

From the AA: "Tyres with deeper tread grooves are less likely to puncture too and it's more difficult to control a car with a damaged rear tyre than one with a damaged front tyre."

Absolute bollocks in my experience, having had a rear blow at 80mph. Had it been the front I'd have had a major steering issue, as it was I had an irritating vibration and time to pull in at a service station. Tyre shredded, but everything good.

I was asked for evidence, I provided multiple highly reputable sources
After that it is your choice

Personally I put new tyres on the rear, if the other pair aren't in good order I'll replace all four

I keep an electric compressor in the vehicle & use have used a the local cheap tyre & exhaust place,

Feel just like the stig as you saw at the wheel fighting for control over your nogrip chinky budget tyes on the wet road.

Last edited:

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I

Tel; 01908 64 65 66.

Thanks for the advice but it shouldn't really get to the stage where some ape has tightened the wheel nuts to damage levels.

In support of Blackcircles (sorry, again), the fitters at their agent use a torque wrench, tighten wheels nuts in sequence as a first step then increase the wrench to the final torque setting and go round again. We all know the benefits of air tools, but not on my wheels!

If it came to the point where I had to carry my own wheels into a tyre depot because I couldn't trust them, I would go somewhere else.....