Costa Concordia Transcripts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by viceroy, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good to see that the Italians do not disappoint. It is pretty much the same as during WW2. Capt. Bertarelli from allo allo comes to mind...

Costa Concordia transcript: coastguard orders captain to return to stricken ship | World news | The Guardian

De Falco: "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno. Am I speaking with the commander?"

Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."

Schettino: "I'm Cmdr Schettino, commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr Schettino …"

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing …"

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping …"

De Falco: "I understand that, listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board. And what they need. Is that clear? You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance. And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear? Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to … really do something bad to you … I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board, (expletive)!"

Schettino: "Commander, please …"

De Falco: "No, please. You now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still …"

Schettino: "I am here with the rescue boats, I am here, I am not going anywhere, I am here …"

De Falco: "What are you doing, commander?"

Schettino: "I am here to co-ordinate the rescue …"

De Falco: "What are you co-ordinating there? Go on board! Co-ordinate the rescue from aboard the ship. Are you refusing?"

Schettino: "No, I am not refusing."

De Falco: "Are you refusing to go aboard, commander? Can you tell me the reason why you are not going?"

Schettino: "I am not going because the other lifeboat is stopped."

De Falco: "You go aboard. It is an order. Don't make any more excuses. You have declared 'abandon ship'. Now I am in charge. You go on board! Is that clear? Do you hear me? Go, and call me when you are aboard. My air rescue crew is there."

Schettino: "Where are your rescuers?"

De Falco: "My air rescue is on the prow. Go. There are already bodies, Schettino."

Schettino: "How many bodies are there?"

De Falco: "I don't know. I have heard of one. You are the one who has to tell me how many there are. Christ!"

Schettino: "But do you realise it is dark and here we can't see anything …"

De Falco: "And so what? You want to go home, Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what their needs are. Now!"

Schettino: "… I am with my second in command."

De Falco: "So both of you go up then … You and your second go on board now. Is that clear?"

Schettino: "Commander, I want to go on board, but it is simply that the other boat here … there are other rescuers. It has stopped and is waiting …"

De Falco: "It has been an hour that you have been telling me the same thing. Now, go on board. Go on board! And then tell me immediately how many people there are there."

Schettino: "OK, commander."

De Falco: "Go, immediately!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Once the Skipper ordered the change of course (for a reason of what seems pure vanity) and the ship struck the reef his career was effectively over.

Maybe his action in turning the ship towards this island did indeed save lives and make evacuation easier, of course had he left it in deeper water (and the ship stayed upright) then they could have got all the lifeboats off and maybe saved everyone, only the enquiry will be able to establish that. Bottom line the skipper was Italian and did what they are famous for.

Clearly there were many failings compounded by the fact the Captain skipped early on leaving no or very little command presence on the ship to co-ordinate the search of the below deck spaces. I notice little has come out yet about the first officers role in this other than he is under arrest.

I was aboard a ship like this over Xmas down in the Caribbean and was surprised by the numbers of disabled persons in wheel chairs, even electric mobility scooters on board, it would seem they are not restricted in the number of disabled passengers they embark. Of course not a great problem until you have to evacuate the vessel.

One thing that did strike me was the lack of (visibility) of the ships crew. It seems they divide these ships up into two distinct management departments, one for running the ship the other the hotel. Whilst the hotel staff were always on hand we hardly ever saw anyone (other than the odd deck hand checking our ID when we got on and off) who was actually responsible for managing or running the ship.

We did our emergency drill around 18 hours after we sailed. We embarked at 16.00 Hrs and were instructed to go to our muster stations wearing our life jackets at 10.00 the next morning, in fact there was a slight shower (the ship was at sea) and they did all the drills in the inside spaces with each muster station being allocated it's own area due to this so called inclement weather. Members of the on board entertainment team were responsible for managing the drill and ensuring everyone was there (he did have a nominal roll and checked persons off). The young lad that did ours also did a magicians act in the theatre on some nights. I asked him if he knew how to lower the boats to which he replied there was a well rehearsed procedure where members of the ships crew would be on hand as soon as the Captain ordered abandon ship.

As the ship sailed the previous evening there was a public address where the emergency procedure was explained and everyone told their life jackets were in their wardrobes and their muster stations detailed on the back of the cabin doors.
  3. You mention members of the Ship's entertainments company, geezer. If reports are true there was a young Brit on the Costa Concordia who acquitted himself rather well in helping with the evacuation.
  4. Yes I read that. Well done to the bloke...He is worth a 100 vain Italian Captains..
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My ex was a nurse and regularly people would rock up with carrots, shampoo bottles and in one case, a light bulb stuck up their jaxie. The most common explanation was "I tripped and fell and it got jammed up there". Maybe the good captains missus is a nurse too. He has just explained how come he ended up in a life boat leaving a stricken ship full of passengers...

During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”
  6. This story so perfectly fits with my stereotypes of Italians, and the captain is the crowing jewel. An incompetent, self important coward. If you want an example of poor leadership he would be perfect.
  7. He fell off his ship straight into a lifeboat? He must have used up all his excuses to come up with this.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Next he will be telling us the SUN was in his eyes and could not see where he was going!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah. An unmarked rock.

Only it's above sea level so you can see it from the bridge anyway.

You have to love the captain for the excuses though. They could not be more fake!
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That this complete Muppet should be hung out to dry I have no doubt. But it will be interesting to see if the Septics wade into the parent company, Carnival Corporation with a few questions.

1) What was the HR process that led you to appoint a man who has been described by one of his officers as "The sort of man who would drive a bus like a Ferrari" and who is a proven coward?

2) With 101 cruise ships in your fleet you have hundreds of thousands of souls in your care at any one time. Given that your Captain has been 'buzzing' this island for a couple of years (this latest to salute the family of his head waiter) how come nobody spotted a deviation of several miles into dodgy waters on a number of occasions? Do you actually check that your captains stick to agreed routes?

Can you imagine being on a BA flight? "Good morning and welcome to Speedbird 1051 inbound for Miami. We'll be making a short diversion to buzz a village in Oxfordshire. Wendy the flight attendant's Mum lives there and its her birthday". I'm pretty sure BA would be onto that one.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The captain's job is to exercise LEADERSHIP by coordinating the other officers from some suitable central posiiton, from which he can exercise control. Not to go bimbling about in the dark where nobody can find him. Still less to b off and leave the passengers to it. I hope the aggrieved sue the pants off Concordia who I would have thought are vicariously liable because they appoint the captain.

Mind you I think that anyone who goes to sea without being paid for it is nuts.
  12. Looking at some of the recent television footage of the said captain, he looks rather well after falling from the bridge, down the steps into a lifeboat?

I hope hes done for cowardice and manslaughter
  13. In an earlier Italian liner disaster, the Andrea Doria, the crew got good marks for getting the passengers off and with only half the boats usable due to listing, 46 died in that incident.

The small print from the investigation allows for some parralells to be drawn:

Andrea Doria's officers had not followed proper radar procedures or used the plotting equipment available in the chartroom adjacent to the bridge of their ship to calculate the position and speed of the other (approaching) ship. Thus, they failed to realize Stockholm's size, speed, and course.

Andrea Doria had not followed the proper "rules of the road" in which a ship should turn to right (to starboard) in case of a possible head-on crossing at sea. As Stockholm turned right, Andrea Doria turned left (to port), closing the circle instead of opening it. Beyond a certain point, it became impossible to avoid a collision.

Captain Calamai of Andrea Doria was deliberately speeding in heavy fog, an admittedly common practice on passenger liners. The navigation rules required speed to be reduced during periods of limited visibility to a stopping distance within half the distance of visibility. As a practical matter, this would have meant reducing the speed of the ship to virtually zero in the dense fog.

Andrea Doria's fuel tanks were half empty and not pumped with seawater ballast in order to stabilize the ship, in accordance with the Italian Line's procedures. This contributed to the pronounced list following the collision, the inability of the crew to pump water into the port fuel tanks to right the ship, and the inability to use the port lifeboats for the evacuation.

There was also perhaps a "missing" watertight door between bulkheads near the engine room, which was thought to have contributed to Andrea Doria's problems.
  14. How does this Italian fit with your sterotype?

Italian hostage 'died a hero' | World news |
  15. You do know he's Italian, don't you?

One can only hope that one of the poor bastards who died has a relative who is an, ahem, "Legitimate Italian Businessman". In which case a prison sentence and public humiliation is going to be the least of the captain's problems...:threaten: