Cost to UK if people really did stop smoking

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spunkymonkey, Jun 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have copied this across from the Firemen without sirens thread to avoid dragging it off topic.

Understood that, sr.medic. My point was that the taxation on smokers (for smoking) raises over twice the cost of the treatment they receive for the Treasury.

If the Treasury doesn't pass that money to the NHS then that's their choice, but to say that "smokers cost the NHS" is wrong. What happens is, the Government doesn't pass on the money they raise from smoking to the department tht deals with it. A bit like the oil companies saying that they "make a loss at the pumps" because they charge themselves inflated prices at the wells. It's phantom accounting to support an unsupportable position.

Look at it another way - smokers contribute about £12 billion to the Treasury each year. They cost the Treasury (via the NHS) £5 billion. Would you be quite so anti if the Treasury gave the full £12 million raised directly to the NHS - giving a net profit of £7 billion? My guess is that, in that case, your attitude would be "if you're stupid enough to kill yourself and give all this money to the NHS by doing it, then crack on"
  2. The government can rattlke its sabers as much as it wants, but I have to admit, I'm concerned about what is going to suffer if they make any more attempts to make smoking unsustainable. That's a lot of money to go missing from the treasury.
  3. I wonder where they get that £5 Billion figure from? I thought 85% of us just died within 12 months of diagnosis, of lung cancer that is. No doubt anyone who went in for treatment for anything and checked the smoking box got included. I wonder how much amateur footballers cost the NHS-daft example but I don't see a tax on dangerous sports or sitting on your fat arrse eating burgers. I've smoked like a chimney for 33 years and never went to a doctor with anything related to smoking. If it's costing the country so much then ban it.
  4. I'm a smoker.

I pay a fortune in taxes (far more than my treatment will ever cost) and I will have the good manners to die 10 yrs younger than a non smker thereby saving the nation a fortune in pensions.

Smoking is nasty, smelly and offends a lot of people (though not mine cos I am aware of the fact). Slam it on many grounds but not cost/benefit analysis.