Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost to level a garden

Hi all,

Once more I must ask the accumulated knowledge of Arrse.

Recently moved into a new house, and the garden needs fixing. It's currently uneven, so needs levelling, and there's some Astrotuf that I'd like ripping up. Additionally, there's a patio area that needs levelling and another gravel/har base are (currently with a shed on it) that would need ripping up.

Looking for the whole area to be grassed over, except the patio & under shed which just needs re-levelling.

Total ground area is approx 90m².

Any ideas what this should cost, so I don't get ridiculous quotes? I live in South Essex, if that makes a difference.

Hi all,

Recently moved into a new house, and the garden needs fixing. It's currently uneven, so needs levelling, and there's some Astrotuf that I'd like ripping up. Additionally, there's a patio area that needs levelling and another gravel/har base are (currently with a shed on it) that would need ripping up.

Looking for the whole area to be grassed over, except the patio & under shed which just needs re-levelling.

Any ideas what this should cost, so I don't get ridiculous quotes? I live in South Essex, if that makes a difference.

If there is access available big enough for a mini - digger just go to your local Hire company and get one on day rates.
Do it yourself, not hard to learn and its real boys toys stuff.

If there is access available big enough for a mini - digger just go to your local Hire company and get one on day rates.
No rear/side access unfortunately (well, there is a 2 foot wide alley, but it's not been touched apart from for people to throw paving slabs in for many years - so effectively blocked).

What could possibly go wrong?

9FE1F12B-3489-47FB-BD3E-A829B9288856.jpeg

Hire one of these.
Unknown.jpeg

Did our garden in a day. It is about 15m by 30m. Do not remove the stone guard "to make it easier" It does not and little stones flying out of the blades travel very quickly.

PS I had it three years ago, and I think I paid £50.00 for the day. Guy delivered and collected it as well.

Hire one of these.
View attachment 540154
Did our garden in a day. It is about 15m by 30m. Do not remove the stone guard "to make it easier" It does not and little stones flying out of the blades travel very quickly.
I'm looking much more at the "throw money at the problem and get a pro to do it" approach rather than "DIY and mess it up".

As I will mess it up. And the Frau will not forgive me.

No rear/side access unfortunately (well, there is a 2 foot wide alley
There's your expensive bit.

You could hire a micro digger+dumper.
If you've got somewhere out front to tip 15t a time a grab wagon *shouldn't* fleece you for inert spoil.

Make sure the asbestos on the garden shed goes somewhere official, or stays on site.
How are you for levels re. DPC of house and surrounds?

Cheapest way is to root around on it in spring with a micro digger (not expensive to hire) and 'landscape' to suit.

Camouflet and a rake. You get the added benefit that the nitrates encourage plant growth.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Try Professional gardening & landscaping services by Betel Gardens
They offer gardening services UK wide, using a skilled mentor and (for the want of a better phrase) rescued 'down & outs'.
I've used them myself on recommendation, the standard of work is very good, relatively cheap and they don't push you into having more work done than you want or need.

Last edited:
Hi all,

1610890370367.png

Latest Threads