Cost of single tube fare in London?

I am getting a tube from Kings Cross to Tower Hill tonight and just looked up price, £4.90 if paying by cash, is that right, dont have an Oyster Card or Contactless. That seems a bit steep even by London standards.

I am getting a tube from Kings Cross to Tower Hill tonight and just looked up price, £4.90 if paying by cash, is that right, dont have an Oyster Card or Contactless. That seems a bit steep even by London standards.
Single or return, and at what time?

Are you sure you don't have contactless - I can't remember the last time I saw a card without the function, unless you are on the most basic of accounts.

EDIT: it may well be correct - they're gradually forcing people to it. You could take the number 17 or 205 bus, which would be £1.50 - but you can't pay in cash on the bus, so you'd need to get an oyster card (£5 refundable deposit - get it back when you give the card back).

Last edited:
No, that seems about right.
I noticed recently just how much 1 day travel cards Zones 1-6 have increased since I used to work in London, almost a 3x increase.

"Veterans' Oyster Card - that'll do nicely Sir!"

Single or return, and at what time?

Are you sure you don't have contactless - I can't remember the last time I saw a card without the function, unless you are on the most basic of accounts.

EDIT: it may well be correct - they're gradually forcing people to it. You could take the number 17 or 205 bus, which would be £1.50 - but you can't pay in cash on the bus, so you'd need to get an oyster card (£5 refundable deposit - get it back when you give the card back).
I dont use contactless, and its a single journey, am joining a yacht and sailing tomorrow. The price seems to be, whats the word, a ******* rip of.

I dont use contactless, and its a single journey, am joining a yacht and sailing tomorrow. The price seems to be, whats the word, a ******* rip of.
I have only ever been able to look at a yacht from the quay.

If you're joining one methinks that you can probably help the Mayor return TfL's finances to the black (can I say that?).

Or are you parsimonious?

It's a one off payment at less than a pint of beer and you are whinging.
I pity the rest of the people on the yacht you are joining.[/QUOT

Good Yorkshire people who won’t be spending time in the Dickens or fancy ale houses down Wapping as I know a nice cheap place up the road a bit.