Cost of removals...

Evening all,

I have to do a move at personal cost. We received a quote of £3000 to self pack.

This is the first move I have done at my own cost and this seems rather high. Now I know each house will differ so people can't say exactly, but does that seem right for a large 4 bed house (Type 4 quarter) with a chocker full garage, shed and garden furniture?

Anyone moved a 4-bed recently can comment on relative prices?

I tried to search for related threads but kept getting an 'oops we ran into some problems' message.

Evening all,

I have to do a move at personal cost. We received a quote of £3000 to self pack.

This is the first move I have done at my own cost and this seems rather high. Now I know each house will differ so people can't say exactly, but does that seem right for a large 4 bed house (Type 4 quarter) with a chocker full garage, shed and garden furniture?

Anyone moved a 4-bed recently can comment on relative prices?

I tried to search for related threads but kept getting an 'oops we ran into some problems' message.
Here's a removal comparison site, which may give you a ballpark figure:

Chef

LE
I'd get a few quotes if I were you. There's lots of reasonably well established companies about.

The last time we moved from 3 to 4 bed house we packed clothes and a fair amount of breakables but the company shifted the rest.

Check they're insured and also make sure they know what's being moved and from where. They wouldn't move stuff from the attic as it was a loft ladder job but were happy to stand at the bottom and take it from there.

Plus use what @Tappet found.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
As long as that includes insurance cover. Depends on distance to travel also. My last move was about 120 miles for contents of 2 bed semi (although I ended up with a full on removal truck suitable for a 5 bed house move!) just over £1000 but that was 5 years ago

Luton van hire is around £100 a day , hire a couple of lazy furloughed fcuks and sit down with a cuppa and give your orders out ,£2500 saved.

It depends on how much stuff you need to move, (might need more than 1 truck) - and how far it is. Also how awkward the stuff you're moving is going to be (grand piano - heavy items etc). Are you moving into a 10th floor flat or an Island on the Scottish highlands.

Basically there are many variables, so you can't just get a price - someone needs to come to your house, look at what you're moving & where to and calculate the price based on that. You'll need a driver - a couple of people to lift heavy items, fuel, insurances and other overheads to consider.

It depends on how much stuff you need to move, (might need more than 1 truck) - and how far it is....

Basically there are many variables, so you can't just get a price -
Yeah I sort of alluded to that in my post, but I'd be interested to see a rough ball park because if 10 people post the last figure they paid themselves and none of them hit anywhere near this 3k mark I'd have to ask myself if the quote is taking the michael or not.

I moved the day before lock down 20/03/2020.

4 bed to 4 bed in Milton Keynes.

I used Britannia who are based in Cambridge but have depots nationwide.

Cost just over £1000.

They provided the boxes before hand.

3 man crew on the day of the move.

No serious issues.

I moved approximately 3 miles.

Look for companies who do the MFO runs to Germany and back, mention you are serving or ex etc.

Asks for discounts, don't ask don't get!!!

I moved the day before lock down 20/03/2020.

4 bed to 4 bed in Milton Keynes.

I used Britannia who are based in Cambridge but have depots nationwide.

Cost just over £1000.

They provided the boxes before hand.

3 man crew on the day of the move.

No serious issues.

I moved approximately 3 miles.

Look for companies who do the MFO runs to Germany and back, mention you are serving or ex etc.

Asks for discounts, don't ask don't get!!!
That's really useful, thanks.

We recently moved from a 3 bed terrace to a 4/5 bed semi in the same village (less than 500 metres).
Company in the village quoted approx £750, a nearby company quoted double that.
I was surprised how much junk we had accumulated. They filled the wagon up and still needed a pantech for the last few bits. I suppose 10 years without a posting every 2 years (with the obligatory clear-out prior to the move) had something to do with that.

London to Australia............five bed house plus supplementary shite.......plus insurance........plus flights.....plus rental on arrival before our shite arrived..........nearly bankrupted me.

On a more serious note, insurance is the key. Photograph every precious item prior to packing. Most companies don't cover you for anything, and it's up to you to take out insurance to cover breakages, including their breakages howsoever arising (read the small print).

London to Australia............five bed house plus supplementary shite.......plus insurance........plus flights.....plus rental on arrival before our shite arrived..........nearly bankrupted me.

On a more serious note, insurance is the key. Photograph every precious item prior to packing. Most companies don't cover you for anything, and it's up to you to take out insurance to cover breakages, including their breakages howsoever arising (read the small print).
If you’d been caught shoplifting a few years ago the government would have moved you for free :)

Donny

ADC
If you’d been caught shoplifting a few years ago the government would have moved you for free :)
I think the arrangements at the time were less generous when it came to moving the family and household contents though. And I suspect @Banker ’s travel arrangements were a little more luxurious and speedy than the old government offering.. :)

Latest Threads