Cost of living in the UK?

Just been back to check on the old trout.

Shopping for basic and I mean about 10 items , OK it was from Tesco but milk, bread, cheese , soda drinks , coleslaw , some crisps, fruit , butter , cost 25quid? WTF?

Driving back to Heathrow, stopped to fill up the hire car.was paying and at the next till some bins asked for a pack of 20 Camel fags.

Pounds 12 and 80p?

I have never smoked and have no idea of the price of a pint in the UK . OK it was a petrol station but 13 quid for a pack of fags? WTF.

Next time back I’ll be bringing a full load of tabs, box of 10 for 200 quid. I’ll make a fortune.

My Missus smokes the cheapest fags. £9-60. Pint at gastro pub near me £4-80, Wetherspoons £1-99 ale, £3-40 lager. It's all on the up but still some deals around. Try Lidl/Aldi. The big three are becoming very expensive as most of the medium sized stores have been price structured as Metro/Express convenience stores. :cool:

That is why I left Scotland many years ago, I knew I could find a better standard of living for my earnings elsewhere. No regrets at all.

Shopping for basic and I mean about 10 items , OK it was from Tesco but milk, bread, cheese , soda drinks , coleslaw , some crisps, fruit , butter , cost 25quid? WTF?

Driving back to Heathrow, stopped to fill up the hire car.was paying and at the next till some bins asked for a pack of 20 Camel fags.

Pounds 12 and 80p?

I have never smoked and have no idea of the price of a pint in the UK . OK it was a petrol station but 13 quid for a pack of fags? WTF.

Next time back I’ll be bringing a full load of tabs, box of 10 for 200 quid. I’ll make a fortune.
How much fruit, crisps and fizzy drink did you buy?

The other 7 items only come to about £9

That is why I left Scotland many years ago, I knew I could find a better standard of living for my earnings elsewhere. No regrets at all.
Where did you go?

My Missus smokes the cheapest fags. £9-60. Pint at gastro pub near me £4-80, Wetherspoons £1-99 ale, £3-40 lager. It's all on the up but still some deals around. Try Lidl/Aldi. The big three are becoming very expensive as most of the medium sized stores have been price structured as Metro/Express convenience stores. :cool:
Tesco?
Benson & Hedges Sky.....20 for £7.35 here.
That saves enough for a £1.99 ale.:D

It's anything from $18.50 AUD to $27 (£16.60p) odd in Oz for 20 now....I'm just back a few weeks.
Since 2003 when I was last there, food prices have gone ballistic.
A £2.50 curry sauce is over £3.80 in Coles..their Tesco equivalent just as one example.

Some things are certainly cheaper but not much in the way of reduced prices at Aldi or Lidl. Reduced prices do seem to vary with store managers and so some of the reductions are no longer tempting. That and the bargains get snapped up as word gets out. I got a Chinese noodle meal for £1.10 and a loaf of bread for 15p but that's not going to be so cheap on a daily basis. However, it's arguably better quality and from a shop normally considered more expensive. M&S. Their basic baked beans are nice too. Corner shop retail chains are generally too expensive, though some sell stuff cheap before it goes for disposal. I shop around various places and with price limits.

Last edited:

Pounds 12 and 80p?

Expensive? That can't be right, have you seen how many people live there? And there are even more on the way, millions of em, it must be a lovely place to live.